Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T How many HAMBers own Vintage Tractors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostn51, May 10, 2009.

1. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Okay here is the deal, I own a small farm and I am getting ready to build a home on the land and I will be needing a tractor for all sorts of things including working a patch of the land for my fruits and vegetables. But being the traditional kinda guy I am I want to find a tractor somewhere between 1938-1954.

Are there any forums that you guys can recommend, or websites that would help me in choosing what to get and how to find the necessary parts to restore one? I understand that this is way off the beaten path for our forum so if it gets deleted I understand, but any and all help would be appreciated!

2. I have a 51 Ferguson. It looks like a 9N Ford. Dean

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

I am going to look at a 1951 John Deere MT I think this weekend, its a non running hulk kinda like all of the cars we find around here but thats what I want something I can build/restore so I can understand how the silly thing works.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A friend of mine had a early 50s Ford Jubilee diesel tractor with Automatic trans that he bought to tend and mow his 20 acres. After many years of faithful service and NEVER EVER being parked inside, he sold it, running and driving with a couple chicken boxes full of spare parts to a guy for $1500 and bought a new Kubota diesel with a frontend loader and a new finish mower, which is used like a brush hog half the time, loved the old Ford and double loves the new piece with its power steering and loader.

5. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

i have an real old sears custom, still looking good in red and white, only problem is the carb's throttel bracket is messed up, thats whats keeping it from running.
    it still cut and shifted all 4 gears nicely.

6. borntoolate

borntoolate

Got a 57-58 ford 800 with a live pto clutch (best when running bush hog). It has a little more power than the older versions, but looks basically the same. With a one wire GM alt. and a slightly temperamental rebuilt carb and ignition, it does pretty well mowing about ten acres and grading the drive.

7. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

I have a 40 9n and picking up my dads 53 Ferguson this summer. I have a Dearborn drop bucket and 3 point hitch with rear blade. I have one acre in the country and it is handy to have. Just used it to drop an engine in my sons 67 Cougar.

8. Dyce

Dyce

I have an old H Farmall. I never did try to date it but I think it's from the late 1930's. Still runs good and has a doall loader. Came down through the famlly, great uncle, Dad, and now me. Comes in handy.
    Jeff

9. ACMOC ACME are good for caterpillar

how about a D2 and a dozer blade, can plow and dig and push the dirt around your house, dig a basement if you have soft ground and lots of play stuff

snow removal if in snow country??

I am a little more agressive witha D8 vintage 1955
    I also have gas cats back to 1929

10. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Dad has a 9N that handles the ranch work, and a 50's International that handles the shredding of the other properties.

11. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

I have a 601 Ford that I've used for 20 years or so and a 8n with a 276ci full tilt flatty that I've been restoring for a while now, too many projects going on lol

"Doc" Parsons

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Little Terry

Little Terry

I have a CAT D2 of '46 vintage.

Great tractor.

13. sloppy-ollies

sloppy-ollies
    from Jersey

This thread needs some pics, especially of the old Cats you guys are talking about.

14. hotcargo

hotcargo

Wow , cant believe , I just opened this thread
    after about 10 years of faithful service on my little farm , I've just sold my twin tank '47 TEA 20 Fergy ( ferguson ) . A car guy neighbour up the valley has been chasing me for years to buy it and is picking it up Thursday along with a grader blade , slasher , bucket , digger etc . These little tractors put Australia on the farming map after the war . I never put a spanner on it , except new rear tyres . Started first time every time . With my bad back , the doc's say I gotta stop doin' this sorta stuff ........I'm sad to see it go.........
    cheers Steve in Oz

15. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

16. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Wish I had this :D

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I have a '52 John Deere A Model that my Grandad bought new. Even have the original owners manual that came with it. Its pretty unhandy for a small place with the hand clutch and no 3 point so I wouldn't recommend one. I have a few pics I can scan and post later.

18. 16 Dodge Bros

16 Dodge Bros
    from MO

Get me your serial #, I have the lists here

19. 16 Dodge Bros

16 Dodge Bros
    from MO

My D7 is serial # 997, makes it a 35 or 37 I believe

20. 2muchstuff

2muchstuff
    from Eastern KS

I've got half a dozen John Deere 2 cylinders that range from a 1937 "A" to a 1960 "630". I use most of them around the farm. Also have the BIG toy, a 1941 Cat D-8. No hydraulic, no electrical system - it will wear you out after spending 6 hours pushing dirt, but alot of fun. Here's a pic of the Cat when we brought it home.

Attached Files:

21. 343w

343w

I have a 1948 8N Ford, it's a pain to put points in the front distributor, the 9N has a side mounted distributor which is much better. You can still buy the kit for changing the engine to a flathead V8, now that is sweet! Denis Carpenter has a catalog for Ford tractors and there's plenty of suppiers on the net.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
    volvobrynk likes this.
  22. retro54

retro54
    from PA

1938 Farmall F-20... fun tractor...

Here's a video of me goofing around in the woods..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aaRcYCWI_Qo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aaRcYCWI_Qo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  23. Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  24. Crestliner

Crestliner

Believe mine is a 39 ford, 9N. Use it on my hunting land and helping neighbors.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Wow:eek: I open my post this morning and look at the responses! I am glad that I am not the only guy in here that likes a Traditional tractor, and I really dig the Caddy powered Ford!!

As far as my land it will not be cutting a lot of area so my lawn tractor can do that around my house. I am mainly going to leave it just as is other than my my plot that I will be growing my veggies. But when I build my shop and home I will be using it like crazy. I am fine with a 3 point hitch and I dont think I need a PTO since I am not cutting anything, but who knows.

Oh and more photos if you have them please!

26. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1952 John Deere Model B here, used for mowing and playing. As far as a web site to help you decide, here's the "HAMB" of vintage tractors:

http://www.ytmag.com/

27. TomH

TomH

My 1942 IH-A

Attached Files:

28. SOHC427

SOHC427

Got the old 9N, most trusty tractor ever. Blade, bucket, and brush hog.
    Thinking I need another, to do the Flat-Head swap on????

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. I guess mine wouldn't be considered traditional ( too new for most) but I like it anyways 1969 Ford 2000 Although the one in this picture isn't mine, mine looks just like it.

Attached Files: