Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "may banger may not" may's monthly meeting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sko_ford, May 1, 2009.

1. Oh yeah, B oil pans and upper bellhousings are worth pickuing up...but if its a whole B engine, GET IT.

2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

C-D,o

I suspect you loose a lot more power from skirt loads and the drag of high tension rings than .020 more piston to head clearance.

Listen closely please if you check the clearance by using a piece of anything your NOT getting a true reading as the stuff crushes the PISTON ROCKS...... if they don't rock the pistons are too tight.

And did you start with dead stopping each piston and having absolute TDC on each hole. Checking at a true mid-dwell is a good way to start.

So if you don't have a real good fishing scale and know how to use it what are we taking about Work=Horse Power? :D

3. Things I never pass up at a swap meet or junk yard: (Like Chris said) Distributors, water necks, flywheel housings.... there's a pattern here... I (and my buddies) are always in need of the more easily broken bits and pieces, as they are usually already broken or missing on any project we manage to pick up. Also keep an eye out for any non-stock banger heads, intakes or valve covers- aluminum is a dead giveaway. If in doubt, post the pics on here first and in most cases someone should be able to tell you what you're dealing with. Just where did you say this junkyard is? ;^) Good luck!

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Bluto,
    All above is addressed. Piston checked at TDC (verified with a degree wheel the right way) When lead checking the solder is place in the center of the piston so that rock is not a factor.

If you are building a proper go fast engine, why would you use stock skirted pistons and high tension rings? Dykes rings are what realy make a difference.

But are we talking street engines or what? :D

5. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Chris, sounds awesome. Love the flames. I spent the day putting the newly cleaned and coated gas tank back in my touring. Hope to be driving this week end. What ever happened with the Bangers and HAMB t-shirts?

6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here is the last discussion. Starting at post # 160

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313458&page=9

7. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

I'll pretty much be getting anything I can get my hands on.
    Including wheels, and pictures. I know there aren't any whole A's
    on the property, just left overs. Like frames, motors, and trannies stuck
    in far off corners and pickup beds. The oldest car I remember seeing was
    a 39 or 40 Ford Fordor. The yard is in Northeast Iowa, and I've been going
    there for 10 years now.

Anybody got a good way to ID trannys?

Thanks Jeff

8. Theres a few different variations of trannys.
    Model "A" has a huge bellhousing, and the actual box is quite small. It has a large inspection cover above the throwout bearing, and unless it was in a lrge truck, will have the peddels attached.

Model "B" trannys look like later V8's, but are a little larger and have a cone for a starter. The inspection cover is also larger than later V8's

There are 3 basic V8 type trannys-
    1932-1936 is easy to tell bacuse the shift tower leans back, not strait up and down. These are the least desired transmissions.

1937-1938 has a strait up and down tower, some only have one detent on the tower, while some are 2. This is right behind were the stick goes in, will have a little boss on one side with a screw type plug in it. Doubel detent will have two bosses, on either side from each other, with 2 plugs.

1939-up is the most valuable. They have a double detent tower, and also have a wider large fork. The part number on the fork will be 91A-7230. This is the tranny every early hotrodder was looking for.

The 1940-up sideshift trannys are also great to pickup, as their internals will work in an earlier case if you have the 1939 type tower.

9. The most desirable is the late 30's Lincoln side shift. The gear shift lever comes out at the right front corner of the case. The gear shift lever is moved around 3" to the right and 3.5" forward giving a lot more room for your throttle and brake foot. These transmissions used Ford gear ratios, the fabled Lincoln gears came out with the first Lincoln column shifts in 39 or 40. Column shift transmissions are now called side shifts The original side shift Lincoln gear shift lever has all kinds of bends in it as it came out of a console under the dash. When you install one you have to remember that the gear shift lever comes out a about 15 degrees from vertical so the trans appears to bolt up one hole off.

10. Ahhhh yes Bill, I didn't get into lincolns. My good friend has a top shift Lincoln tranny for sale if anyone has a big pile of cash!

11. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

hey guys what do you think a stock but rebuilt with very little time running just sitting modle B and trany should cost? If you look in the oil fill looks like new pull a plug and look in the hole very clean. he didnt have a good 6 volt batt. to hear it run I will bring one with me this weekend. His 1st # was 3500.00 I think that is to high any input would be cool
    thanks Bill

12. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Hey jersyboy..
    are you still looking for fenders for your woody? call me
    Bill

13. That sounds a bit much, do you know if it has a counterbalanced crank? Even if it does, that sounds high or at least top dollar to me.

14. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

This last weekend I got the car out and drove it any distance since I put this engine in. The car ran great running 45-50 w/6.00x16 tires. I was goofing around with a friend and hit sixty. The car handled 60 well but the engine was spinning pretty fast. Maybe larger tires in the rear are in order.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  15. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Tad,

Nice car and engine! The kids are real cute too!:D How's the engine working out?

16. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

OK. I have the engine out of the chassis, the pistons are free and the valves ports are soaking.

I have a buyer for the front axle and suspension, and my dad's friend is interested in the trans, rear axle, bell housing. I hope to get this parted out soon because it is occuping the Tudors spot, I have to drive 40 miles one way to go for a ride.

I haven't had the time to work with it much this week. The local police found the MIL DOA on Wednesday and my wifes a mess.

17. B.SUTTON

B.SUTTON
    from Peoria, IL

WOW Tad!.....My condolences. I had wondered why I hadnt seen you online at work.

I havent had a chance to give the plugs you loaned me a try yet. In fact, I havent even fired the A up this week.

Give me a call if you get a chance.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok class, what are we looking at? :confused: Always nice to find something you can really use at a flea market.:D

Attached Files:

19. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

20. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

If he gets it to run I will go see it again.I hope he will let me pull the filler tube and take a peak. I wont pay 3500 i just wont to know what a fair price would beI like $2000 but it will have to sit most of the summer before he will go that low
    Bill
    p.s happy b day

21. 1925-27 Chev front end. Stub axles will lower a T Ford. :)

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

CORRECT! You are the winner and get a left side view of the Spurgin & Giovanine Chevy with finned rocker cover. Class A-R Record holder at 113.950 as of June 1948.:)

Attached Files:

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

The Chevy spindle on a dropped T axle with recast ROOF underslung brackets. That Chevy steering arm will connect to a Franklin steering box on a T Bobtail some day. Three hubs and 4 wheels and I'll have a full set of Buffalos for it!

Attached Files:

24. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

'26/27 spindles lower the T a little compared to '25 and earlier.

25. Could you take a few photos of the Franklin steering box? Does the wishbone mount in the standard position or is it moved?

:) :D
    a great car I never tire of seeing.
    A clearer shot of the Winfield carbs with custom throttle bodies. 1947

Attached Files:

barrnone50 likes this.
  26. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Who made the valve cover?

This is the one I was referring to when discussing getting one made for the 2 and 3 port heads.

27. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

You know somebody out there still has the pattern for it. We just gotta find it.

28. I will double check my notes. & yeah that was the one I referred to when we talked.
    Cheers
    Jimmy

:edit:
    I checked, Ralph Schenck had the pattern made and had them cast. He sold them at the dirt tracks, Ralph lent the pattern to a speed shop on South Main, which may of been Jims Speed Shop.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  29. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Ok I am starting on a similar valve cover for olds head (23) it is my understanding it should also fit chev heads. Been back working part time at the foundry and gonna get er done
    Ken

30. I made an exhaust system out of a 35/36 Ford driveline today. A little loud, but I think the car would be wierd if it wern't ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]