Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbest thing an "EXPERT" has said about your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOHC427, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've heard that a few times!

Also heard:

...."that's gonna be a lot of work"

...."that thing runs?"

...."you drive that?"

Also get, "AWESOME just like it is"

[​IMG]

The Barn Find T ..... more

2. Old guy looning at my 34 Panel :

"My father had a roadster just like that.":rolleyes:

3. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Barn Find ;
    This photo should go in the smithsonian.. American as it gets ..

Great!!

4. pinman 39

pinman 39

I have a 34 pu that I have owned forever .One day a guy that I went to highschool
    with and dispized called me on the phone and asked about buying it .In the conservation he says "He didn't want anything nice " I responded why the fuck did
    you call me . Then I hung up.

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I had a guy tell me that my T roadster would run better with a 4 barrel those 3 Strombergs is making it run rough...........my T has a 30 30 Duntov cam with an awesome lope.

6. I overheard a guy telling his mate how his engine was low on oil pressure and how he was gunna pull the oil pump and shim the relief valves with some washers to restore it to its original spec, I thought to myself will I wont I and i decided wont I ...:D

7. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

She's a little high in the front...

8. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

A couple experts say that I stretched my car?
    Most experts tell the kid or girlfriend that my fins are stock.

Brian

Attached Files:

9. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Umm, no its not.

10. Haha, you should've said that with a pronounced lisp... then talked about how you like listening to broadway soundtracks while working on it... he would have ran away!

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a kid walk up to me at the Chevy-GMC Truckin Nationals in Ogden in 1982 and ask "why did you chop that truck? they are rare. It was sitting in the middle of 50 or more stock AD trucks at the time and and a few feet away from The Rod and Custom Dream truck.

12. HONESTHERMAN

HONESTHERMAN

at a car show the one thing that pisses me off are the stories that go something like this.
    The Car is Finished. Hours and Hours of Prep Its Painted.
    They say. "You know what you should do!" Then ."Ya know my GrandPa had one of them and it was so Cherry, All original and a little nicer than this and he junked it when I was in the service.
    Oh Ok zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

13. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

You'd be amazed at the number of people who say my Nomad is not a Nomad, it's a Bel-Air...it says so right there on the side of the car.

14. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Some fat bitch asked me when I was going to fix up my 'Heap' and I said listen up bitch... nuff said.

15. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last weekend on a vintage car show over here in Germany: A guy walks up to my and my buddies` Hot Rods and Customs ( 34 Plymouth , 56 Bel Air 2dr mild custom,50 Merc, 60 Poncho Custom, all nice and in very good condition, no rat rods or the like) and tells his buddy: "Look at those shitpiles, they should all be crushed for scrap metal." I asked what kind of car he´d drive, and he said " Fiat 500"...
    Some just aren´t qualified to judge...

16. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

i was at a cruise with a '65 belair, 2dr HT black with red interior. Nothin special faded paint, faded red rally wheels, inline with split manifold....

I was standing back a bit taking in the show, and this guy walks up to the car with his kid and says "the BelAir is the poor mans Impala." Man I wanted to fuckin deck him. Later on i watched him get into a shitbox cavelier, the body panels were 3 different colors....

17. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

One day at a car show I attended with my El Camino, a guy asked me "Why did You cut off the roof of this beutiful station wagon?"
    "Oh, I needed to haul some stuff for my home improvement"

18. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Maybe they shouldn't let spectators in some shows, for their own safety!!!:rolleyes:

19. I've had,
    What's it based on.
    Why is it so tall
    Why did you make it that shape
    Dohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Attached Files:

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh man I LOVE center door Ts!!!

21. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

The general publics ignorance (and it extends pretty far with "car guys" too) is the reason I avoid conversation whenever possible. What irritates me more than stupid questions or comments about my car(s) is when I get approached by people who start talking to me about cars that have nothing to do with mine - not even remotely.

The best example:

I have a '27 Ford roadster that is built in the style of a mid-40's hot rod. It's made of all genuine parts, none of which are newer than 1948. I drive this car everywhere, frequently to lunch. One particular day I drove it to pick up some lunch at the local In N Out Burger (a California chain of hamburger stands) and I parked then walked over to the "walk up window" and ordered. I get approached by a guy and he asks me questions about my roadster, which I answered short and to the point hoping to come across as stand-offish so he would stop talking to me. He then proceeds to start telling me, in gory detail, about his '70-something Plymouth Duster that he wants to "fix up". He's going on, and on, and on... the whole time I'm thinking, "okay, I'm driving a 1927 Ford, what makes you think I give a shit about a '70-something Plymouth?"

Does anyone else experience this?

22. LowFat48

LowFat48

now that ,is a nice car......

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah we all get it all the time, only difference is the guy you talked to will now never even entertain the thought of building a hot rod. Way to go, maybe you can get a job out side shows telling everyone to 'Fuck Off'?

24. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

To clarify, I was never outwardly rude to the guy. I doubt he would have kept talking to me if I had been. It just makes me wonder sometimes how people make these connections because if it were the other way around, I would not approach a guy with a '72 El Camino (for example) and start telling him all about my roadster unless I was asked about it.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  25. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, thats different. There just as proud of their ride as we are, even know we don't get why. These guys often can be shown the light and our community just gets stronger. I always try.
    Doc.

26. Orn

Orn

I was down at the gas station with my 48 Buick the other day when a grey haired senior gentleman step forward and said, “Nice Lincoln” No sir It’s a Buick, “hell no it’s a Lincoln and I know that for sure cause I had one myself in the early fifties. I was in a hurry so I haven’t time to argue with the guy so I just say “wow that’s some news, well I had to take my Lincoln and get the hell out of here” :eek::D

27. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Not from an expert but while in my garage one day

"Do you have directions for that, I mean how do you know how it goes back together!"

OT
    Once at an air show a guy approached me with 2 little boys and asked.

"When the air show starts where will it be" I just pointed up

Gary

28. Not dumb, but I've had a lot of ladies call my roadster, "cute."

Two guys have explained to their girl friends that the 462" Buick engine is a Hemi.

Most folks are pretty nice, but the topper was a guy who asked why I didn't put a Chevy in it.
    Kinda suprised me cuz I realized he was mad because I was running Buick.
    When he started frothing at the mouth, I left the rod run.

No kidding, he either had rabies or was beyond mad.
    Kinda scary and it boiled down to the discretion/valor thing.

Maybe I shoulda told him that I didn't have an official hot rod rule book.

Now that I think about it, I still don't....

29. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I had a 'great automotive historian" checking out my custom 55 Olds, with his buddy. He was talking about the car, not mentioning it what kind of car it was, until he reached the window sticker area. Then he told his buddy "This is a 55 Olds, you don't see many of them around any more, like the 55 Chevies"
    He then proceeded to check out the car some more, and says "see, it doesn't have any door handles...people really didn't like that, so they didn't buy many of them!"

30. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

Last night a guy came over to my friends blown 55 Nomad and asked' " is this car fast as it looks " and with out hesitation I said, " no faster ".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.