Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lost photo of a Tucker.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, May 7, 2009.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

This evening I was going through a box of negatives and color slides which were shot by my father. Photography and cameras were his life. He shot everything from portraits and weddings, to commercial photography, journalism and even a few television shows. He developed all of his own film and repaired cameras as well.

So as I was sorting through the envelopes I found this loose at the bottom of the box. I assume it was taken at a dealership but I have no idea where and no idea who the people are.

I don't know if pictures like this are rare so it may not really deserve the label "lost". And it is in pretty bad shape, but still worth sharing I thought.

Attached Files:

2. very cool...now I'm gonna have to watch the movie again

3. philo426

philo426

Veery Cool!Always loved the Tucker! [​IMG]

4. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Nice find. I wonder if there are more to be found? Seems likely if he was there he would have taken more than one shot.

5. Wow Kev, that is cool!

As a side note, Carla and I both studied photography under a gent named Frank Klock. He was the AP photog that got the pictures of the crash landing in Sioux City 20? years ago? His pics that day are legendary but I digress. I found many rolls of undeveloped film we both shot while unpacking our last boxes.....wonder what is on them? Stuff has been packed for 15+ years.

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

That is very cool. :)

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Sadly, nope. Without getting too far into the story a lot of stuff was lost forever - you can't imagine.

Worst example: My father grew up in Joplin, Missouri. You know those shots of Bonnie and Clyde posing with the B400? Well that film was the only thing left in the Joplin apartment after the famous shootout. Gone.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ummm... Ain't Preston the tall one? Kind of looks like him.

9. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

My friend Rex who is 76 years old remembers Tucker having a sales tent at the Kansas State Fair when he was a kid and he and his Dad got to take a test ride in one. Must have been 1948.

10. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Been told film will degrade after a while not developed,,though sometimes you get some interesting images from it

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Just found a photo of Preston. Doesn't look like the same guy.

12. Squablow

Squablow

Order your accessories and get your sequence number NOW! I guess he really was pushing that stuff before there were any cars ready for sale. Did the people who bought sequence numbers under 50 actually take delivery of those cars?

Great pictures. I bet someone with photo skills could edit a lot of the pink overcast from those.

13. George G

George G

Isn't that what got him into trouble?

14. cafekid

cafekid

my grandad grew up in joplin and was there when bonnie and clyde came through........ was one of his favorite stories to tell

15. Here's a quickie color filter touchup....if I put a few hours into it, I or a more talented P-Shop driver could really clean it up...but it does need a lot of cleaning up.

On another note, I'm curious about that spring you can clearly see behind the front tire...it's in an odd location and looks like it's off of a garage door or something...

[​IMG]

16. ltex old iron

ltex old iron
    BANNED

i know a woman in my hometown of 6000 people who claims to own 2 tuckers and she says they rented them from here to make the tucker movie...

17. lolife

lolife

That's pretty early color photography. The photo looks like maybe the whitewall fooled his handheld light meter, so he closed the lens down.

It's kind of a sad shot. The people look like they just came out of the viewing room of a funeral.

The tall guys thinking "If I don't sell 50 tickets I'm ruined."

18. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

This is actually just a digital shot of a color slide setting on a light table. Look close and you can see the reflection of my camera.

19. no what got him was the big three running him under the bus and dirty dealings by them....kinda wonder if now is Karma for this ??:rolleyes:

20. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

21. He don't look nothin' like Jeff Bridges...........:rolleyes:

22. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

seems to me, if you can nail the color down, you can trace the cars history pretty well...

looks like waltz blue to me. how many of em were made that color? dozen? hell, it aint like preston made a couple thousand... only what, 51 "official" cars, including the tin goose. one rolled at indy. one wrecked in michigan in the 50's, another lost in some cops garage after being found abandoned layin in the mud on the riverbank in memphis...

lol, i love watchin tucker stuff. this thread rules

23. Django

Django
    from Chicago

24. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

If he woman has 2 of them then her name will be on that list. They have accounted for about all of them now. And theres still argument over the convertable.

25. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

The accessories were a side deal Preston put together to stir interest, give the dealers something tangible to sell and to hook the customers. They knew that once you had plunked down $50-$75 dollars for a radio, you were committed in your mind to buying a Tucker.

For a long time you could get Tucker radios new in the box for $25-$50 at Hershy and thru Hemmings.

26. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

While in Atlanta one night I saw a Tucker comming right down Peachtree street. I thought this was the coolest thing , only another car person would understand.

27. dbradley

dbradley

GM was taking orders before there was a 'new' Camaro........ seems nothing changes. :D

28. I was at the AACA (?) Classic Car Museum in Hershey Pennsylvania recently.

They have a new wing that is apparently going to be dedicated to one guy's Tucker collection (he recently died and willed it to them). He apparently had not only the cars but some prototype motors, tooling, some sort of cut-away promo stuff, and tons of memorobilia. The car and little bit they had there was a great teaser. Stuff like the accessories, a radio, tons of dealer materials, ...

There's also a Tucker in this month's Hemmings being auctioned soon that I noticed.

I'd heard they pulled some fiberglass molds to mock up cars for the film (don't know if that's true) but it could make a killer hot rod or funny car if you found such a body...

29. vertible59

vertible59

And do not forget that the govt. stuck their nose in there too. The saying was, what's good for GM is good for the country...the Tucker was, for damn sure, not good for the General.

30. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

tucker was way ahead of his time.The cars were great and he was a great innovator.