Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom Pedal Cars?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by mr.wolf, Jan 1, 2008.

1. mr.wolf

mr.wolf

Heres the scoop, Im planning on buying my daughter a pedal car from speedway for her birthday. shes not yet old enough to actually use it as a pedal car, but i want to make it a stroller. ive seen them before in various magazines, and a looking for ideas on how i go about doing this.

basically, i'd like to remove the pedals, add a push bar to the back, and channel the body so it sits lower. thats the easy part... what is screwing with my head is the steering, i want to control the steering, i dont want her to be able to steer it into someone, and or someones car. any ideas on how i can do this?

and tips, and ideas are helpfull

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Model T1 likes this.
  2. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

good question... i want to know where to get some cool wheels for the one i have. i've had it about 13 years now and have been plannin to "kustomize" it but have yet to get around to it.

3. leave the steering wheel in for her to play with, but don't hook it to anything. Set up the front wheels like a regular push stroller.

4. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

I'll try n get some pics of mine up.

5. rodknocker

rodknocker

I would remove the steering shaft,and tack the knuckles, that way it wouldn't be too hard put it all back in.

6. spinner

spinner

On The Ones I Have Built For The Grandkids I Build A Tube Frame With The Wheels On Straight Axles & The Handle Coming Out The Back . To Steer You Push Down On The Handle & Pivot On The Rear Wheels. Works Very Easy.

7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Leave the wheel for her :)

Switch the axles front and back......... now you can make it a ''rear steer''

Not the best way to fly but would be easy to do :)

And except for the hole you make in the body should be easy to reverse
    Make a contental kit for it when you do

Good luck sounds like fun

Model T1 likes this.
  8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

If you gonna use spinners plan ..... how about some wheelie bars?

9. I used a small caster wheel under the front end. Just enough to get the front wheels off the ground. The steering still works and is removable. The one in my avatar steers with the front wheels. The axle has enough caster that it steers great . Push the handle bar left and the wheels steer right. A fake steering wheel is all the kids need.

Model T1 likes this.
  10. spinner

spinner

Done That Too. You Can Build One Of These Cheep& Easy & Have A Ton Of FUN Doing It . I Have About 65 Total. Things To Do In My Retirement .

11. sanmartin72

sanmartin72

Not a pedal car but it is a stroller !

The two handles were the steering and was a pain to control !
    Was using the same theory as a bobcat or a D-4 Cat.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  12. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

anyone got anymore pics of pedal cars or pedal car strollers. i want to make my son a custom merc as a pedal car. even possibly with a powerwheels motor later.

13. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

There is a guy on ebay that sells fiberglass bodies for pedal cars he has a 51 merc that looks pretty cool. I just bought a 55 chevy convert body it will be here in a few days I will let you guys know what the quality is when it comes in.

14. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I scored a kool old body that i plan on doing for my son as well but he'll prob have his drivers liscense by the time 'I' actually finish it!

1morecarIpromise! and Model T1 like this.
  15. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

didnt see anything from the guy other than the 55 and a 60's falcon. can you pm me the page that you found the merc on. thanks.

16. new ....two wheeler cart/dolly wheels ... these are plastic wheels ..but i have seen these in aluminum on older two wheelers
    with hard or inflatable tires..

i have seen old wooden reel mower handles as a push handle mounted with small square hitch tubing..

and what about those nifty sample seats that kirk had ...
    good luck:D

Attached Files:

17. Here's one of those Mercs converted into a paint box.the top is piano hinged.

Attached Files:

18. Rick S

Rick S

Here's the pedal car (not a stroller) I made for my Grandson. When I bought it, it was missing a bunch of parts and looked like junk, so I thought I better fix it up just a little bit. Sound familiar?
    I took it down to bare metal, worked out all the dents and dings, shaved the emblems off, made front and rear bumpers (smooth with mounting bolts on back side), made the chopped windshield, sealed it with DP-40, primed it with K-36, blocked it a few dozen times, painted it two tone silver metallic and gloss black and then added some pinstriping. I also flipped the wheels around because they looked cooler, painted the rims to match and upholstered the interior in soft black naugahyde too. No wonder my truck isn't done...

Attached Files:

19. chopdtop

chopdtop

Speeway has some cool wheels for pedal cars. But they are a bit pricey.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/m/540_Pedal-Car-Wheels-Tires-and-Hubcaps.html

I'd like to find some less expensive wheels for a couple of old Radio Flyer Wagons I have and want to customize. I've already done a couple fat tired wagons and now want to do some lowered ones. I don't want to hijack the thread so I won't post pics of them.

20. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

I don't want to make it out to say I have a better pedal car... but I do. :D

When I was very very young, my father went to the Wicks Road swap meet on the island, and found the body of an old Austin something or other, but his mind went with it, and it turned out to be my pedal car. I have a bunch of pictures, and still even have it, but I'll show off some of the good shots.

[​IMG] Thats me as a young hotrodder.

[​IMG]Then it turned out to this.

[​IMG]And thats it all done.

It had a WILD pinstripping design on the back done by a guy named Alex in Wonderland, and it said Lil' Rick in script where the guages would normally be, but it was all filled in. My uncle Al, who worked for a metal shop built a HUGE handle to be able to push it, and it went off without a hitch. Hell, I was even in an issue of the Golden Chariots magazine.

I look forward to hearing other ideas, because I will be building one of them for my sisters kids and what not.

See ya on the streets.
    -Rick

21. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

22. Here's the one I built for my son, who doesn't waist a moment to cruise in it at every show and cruise in we attend. Steering is controlled with t-handle connected via a rod inside the down tube to a horizontal bar at the bottom of the tube. This bar is connected to two rods running under the car to the front wheels.

The one pic shows the new pedal car I started with, the other while in progress, and the one with my son is the finished 'traditional styled' stroller based upon an early Pontiac.

Attached Files:

23. Trent_A

Trent_A

Can anyone give some info on my old pedal car? I have never seen another one like it and I’m looking for some parts. My dad found it in the junk around 1976. [​IMG]

Model T1 likes this.
  24. How about some more?

25. dadseh

dadseh

heres what Im workin on...1937 Peerless, been under a house for 50 years.

Attached Files:

doliak likes this.
  26. I have one I built for my daughter .... enjoy.

Attached Files:

27. i used the guts from a radio flyer wagon and made mine pull like the wagon did only cooler than the wagon ......cut and narrowed all the stuff to fit the pedal car body ....

Attached Files:

28. I picked up a pedal car today for my grand-daughter.

Attached Files:

29. 187 speed

187 speed
    from central Il

Not that the stroller idea is bad but I went with the wagon route for the fact that people just dont look where they are walking at car shows especially when its crowded. When something is low and small like a pedal car the kid is probably going to get stepped on and tripped over a few times. With the pull method you have your body leading the way to clear the path, this works real well for us and my wife follows behind picking up the trail of matchbox cars my son drops as we cruise the shows. I also built one for a buddy of mines two girls, He is a jeep nut so we used a power wheels body and golf cart wheels.

Attached Files:

05snopro440 and doliak like this.