Register now to get rid of these ads!

In the weeds find.. amazing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bear Metal Kustoms, May 7, 2009.

1. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

A guy that I drop axles for came by the shop today.. He said a buddy of his found this in the weeds near his place and asked him if he wanted it..He said sure and brought it into the shop. He plans on having us drop it a couple inches for one of his cars. Just thought I would share... Jason.

Attached Files:

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Wall hanger. Neat.

3. 61TBird

61TBird

Is the rest of the car in the weeds????

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The legendary World's Fair axle!

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Is the rest of the World's Fair in the weeds????

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

7. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

Dang cool!!!

8. skunx1964

skunx1964

pretty cool find!

9. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I had been told that Ford did that to show the strenth of the I beam. That is a very nice find.

10. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

incredible,,ok who offers Axle twisting services :D

11. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Yeah, i don't know about the strength at all but it sure is pretty. How exactly was that done?

12. I'm thinking it should get shorter with all the twists...unless they stretched it back to std width. What does it measure king pin to king pin?

Is there a metalurgest (sp) in the group that can explain what condition the metal is in after being that hot?

13. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

That must have been one hell of an accident to twist the axel up like that. Obviously so, since the rest of the car was apparently totally destroyed. :D

WTF? Yeah, hey, I just found this diamond ring in the weeds, want it?

14. can you imagine the looks youd get at a show with that axle...and the comments, yea, my buddy had one just like that back in the 60s....

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The rest of the car ended up 47 feet wide and two feet long...but there's no rust, so it should be easy to fix.
    Axles were twisted like that in the Ford exhibit at some '30's Worlds Fair or similar exhibition, I believe...gotta go look for documentation. I believe they were twisted in a testing fixture that simply held the ends at full length and rotated. No heat, just incredible torque.

16. it looks all twisted! It's worthless! :D

17. COS

COS
    from KCMO

I can not remember if it was last year a KKOA KS or the year before there was a guy there that was running a twisted axle like this!! Looked cool as hell on the car...

- COS

18. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

It is narrow now.. I am going to have to modify my jig to drop it for him.. They were twisted cold....I saw a picture of an axle being twisted on a very large lathe at very slow speed, high torque... Jason

19. 3windowford

3windowford
    from Edison NJ

Never saw a twisted axle before...looks cool.

20. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Some swap meet vendor at the Lonstar Roundup had an axle something like that. Not as many twists though. I think he had an axle dropping sevice. HAMB member I believe.

21. I know everyone is going to say "It's his and he can do whatever he wants" but if it truly is one of the ones that Ford did as a demonstration of strength it seems a shame to drop it.

22. careyohio

careyohio

That is an historic piece of history.....could be worth a lot of money to the right guy....sell it or hang it on the wall.
    Just my 2 cents
    Carey

23. 31whitey

31whitey

dropping that axle is just stupid...

You have got to be kidding...

24. That would be some film to watch. There's a quest for Ryan...fine the film.
    The 1939-40 New York Worlds Fair was all about the world of tomarrow with all the major manufacturing companies displaying their latest and greatest widgets.

25. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

There isn't anyway to tell if it is one of the originals or not... It was very rusty and he blasted it... I tried to tell him to leave it alone...but.... It is his axle..I might just tell him that we can't modify the jig to make it work and he will just leave it alone.. If it was mine, I would have it in all my ads and on the wall in my office... Jason

26. buy it from him !!!!!!! :d

27. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think an original would be identifiable...I believe they twisted many in their exhibition, and I would bet the machine was set up to twist each the same number of turns, so that it could be matched up to a Fair photograph.
    Where did the dimensions end up on the one shown??

28. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

I didn't measure it yet.. I held it up to my jig and told him it wouldn't fit and that I would have to make a custom bracket for it.. He was going to finish blasting it and then bring it by.. I will get a dimension then... I would like to get it from him.. matbe I will drop his next few axles for free.... Jason.

29. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I wonder if the rest of the car looked like that? It's cool though.

30. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston