Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heat resistant paint question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model-a-fan, May 6, 2009.

1. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

What have you guys used successfully to paint exhaust manifolds? Everything I have tried in the past burns off and looks like crap after a few miles. THanKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY INPUT!!

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I have had mine ceramic coated black before and that seemed to work well....never broke down.

3. i usually ceramic coat them too, but for a good quality spray can paint try John Deere muffler paint. the stuff is really good and holds up very well. it is only available in black

4. Fogger

Fogger

I've had luck by first sandblasting the parts. Then heating up the gas bar-b-que to 300 degrees. Painting the parts with Dupli-Color High Heat 1200 and cooking for 30 minutes. Seems to set the paint. The FOGGER

5. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

Eastwood makes a good exhaust system paint. My headers are ceramic coated but from the collector back I used the Eastwood high temp paint. It is the only thing that has lasted (3 years now) I blasted the pieces before I painted them. I am confident that the stuff would last on your manifolds.

6. 52chevydeluxePDX

52chevydeluxePDX

7. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

8. I've used the high heat rattle can paint, and it never holds up for long. So I tried the 99 cent Walmart shit. It stays for about the same amount of time, but at least it's only 99 cents.

9. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I've heard high heat engine paint works pretty good, but if it doesn't dry right it will flake right off if it is hit with direct high pressure water.

10. 972toolmaker

972toolmaker
    from Garland Tx

I used this disapointed color didnt last , but the rams horns havent rusted. Maybe I expect too much. Color is not grey as advertized.after running.

11. Flop

Flop

rustoleum bbq paint been on my car for 2 years now and you dont have to order it go to home depot!!!

12. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Never thought of using BBQ paint, but it makes sense. Wonder if it comes in something other than black?

13. 33_chevy

33_chevy
    from TX

VHT header paint from autozone works real good,it's a bit more expensive then regular high heat paint but it does work.When you put it on,only apply enough paint to cover,that means no second coat,it will blister if you do.The paint has seramic in it and works pretty good.Only one coat though.I learned the hard way and had to strip all the paint off,but second time around it worked great.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  14. Flop

Flop

i think the had a few other colors at ho depot go check out the spray paint section

15. mj40's

mj40's

Eastwood also has a paste that you rub on after cleaning the rust off and then running the engine for awhile. It turns the headers a flat black to look something like an old pot bellied stove. I never have tried 'stove black' that was used on old wood stoves.