Register now to get rid of these ads!

HALIBRAND magnesium 16 x 13 wheels.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOLLYWQQD, May 6, 2009.

1. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

i have a chance to get a set of HALIBRAND magnesium 16 x 13 wheels with early M-H 13.00 x 16 slicks on em. they are in perfect un-modified (never polished) condition and not drilled in the bead area(at least not on the outside i didn't look behind em cause they were mounted on the early pontiac locker rear with 5.13's i may get as well ! ) they are dual pattern 4.5" and 5" bc. the agreement to sell them to me has been made but i am supposed to make him a fair offer! he knows what he has and i want them for a project , not to resell ! i can buy them alone or as a set with the 12 spoke early ford spindle mount americans on the front . i already have the mag 12 spokes i am going to run so i would sell the 12 spokes (early castings w/no ribs on inner spokes)if i got the set ! they have early ribbed good year 4.50x15's (i think) front runners on em !! i'm not a wealthy man but i do make a decent union elevator constructors wage . to shell out a few grand on wheels for a project i haven't even started building yet (and already have close to 20 grand in rare parts for) isn't easy for me so i want to get them as cheap as possible but not be unfair to the current caretaker of these wheels either.i already have a pair of 15x10 magnesium torque thrusts with 10.00 radir cheaters for this project but these hali's and m-h are the real deal. any one that can give me good solid value advise on these please PM me or post on this thread .

thanx
    jp

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

So what kind of project are you building that you have to have 16x13 slicks and that 15x10s won't handle? Are the 16s the right bolt pattern??

Seems you've already got the real deal and they match.

I started with 16x10s and the trouble is I'm running 30 yr. old rubber because nobody makes a 16in double diamond........yet.

3. 31whitey

31whitey

big window or small seems to make a HUGE difference in price.

I am lookingg for a NICE pair of 12 spoke americans....IF the ones with the ribbed 15s are in good to perfect condition I would be interested...

Ive passed on alot of sets of 12 spokes recently...they are always avaible and easy to find....just not the condition I am looking for.

pm sent.

4. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

probally worth 4000+
    depending on if its speedway/large kidney,sprint, or kidney

last time i saw 16x13 on ebay, i bid on them and lost the bidding, think they went for like 3500 dollars and that was just the wheels, i bid up to 3 grand on them.

5. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

here is a pic of the ones i have already for the project i think with some clean up the ones i can get will look just as nice , but the original casting on the others is a little rougher than these ones.

[​IMG]
    Shot with KODAK EASYSHARE Z710 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2009-04-21

6. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

i am almost sure they are the speedways , i took a pic with my phone but it was in a barn and phone doesn't have a flash .so it is tough to tell in the pic and when i go back there it won't be to take pics :)

7. 31whitey

31whitey

Man...I like your style.

Im running olds bolt pattern 15X8.5, american 5 spokes...and cheaters.

those front look perfect...

I got a pm the other day with a guy with 16 halibrands...Im strictly a 15 inch guy...

so I wasnt interested...but he was asking 2200 for the same set up...16s with MH tires, not sure of the width though.

definitely let me know about the 12 spokes...

8. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

16x13 is a pretty rare wheel, would be worth alot more if it wasn't double pattern
    but realistic market value for the rear wheels alone would probally be around 3000-3500 bux, and front wheels? 800-100 bux? and wheels, ahwell make it an 4000-4500 dollar value all in all package price .if the rubbers are nice and no cracks..

i was willing to pay 3000 for a pair 2 months ago atleast...

9. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

2200 for 16x10, sounds fair
    but 16x13 is another story, as far as i know they was not as many made as 16x10's

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Shoot the guy a price based on what you can afford. It's one of those things that aren't laying around in every garage so paying too much just doesn't exist. If he turns down your offer get him to give you a ball park to shoot for. whatever you pay , even if it's high, will be a bargan price a year from now.

Frank

11. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

actually now that you mention it my rear 5 spokes are 15x8.5 not 10". those were a crazy buy.....i was in a junkyard and asked the owner if he had any old aluminum or magnesium wheels and he said no . a few minutes later he walked out and said he knew there were some "older wide wheels in one of those busses over there" so i walk in the first bus and these magnesium 5 spokes are sitting there on the driver seat . i bring them up front and the guy says he wants 20 bucks a piece for em!!!!!!!!!! so i peeled 40 bucks out of my pocket and ran them wheels to my truck and locked em up in there before some other parts hunter saw what happened,then proceeded to lay in wet grass and mud with a couple buddies for an hour and rip an old F1 steering box out of a truck for a hot rod my bud was building, the whole time grinning from ear to ear and saying to my buds over and over.... " did ya see those wheels i just got ?".

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  12. 31whitey

31whitey

My bad guys...

The ones I was pm'd about days ago are 16X11(?)....new MH, and he want 2300...

oh...they are big windows.

13. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

i just did a little talking with the guy on the phone to feel him out a little better . the wheels and tires are mounted on a home made altered chassis with a chrome dropped ford i beam axle and a pair of 37 to 41 ford black painted spindles . the rear is an early pontiac with locker and 5.13 gears . he is in the 4 g s range for everything . i told him we could certainly make a deal but i wanted him to verify that the rears are definately 16x13's not 16 x 11's with 13.00 series tires . that is the only thing that will change what i'm gonna offer him . but as of now i think i'll be getting this stuff this weekend. he told me he had the front and rear wheels and tires at a swap meet in 2003 trying to sell them(all 4) for 1500.00 and the only guy interested wouldn't go over 1200.00 for them all!!!!!! wouldn't it be nice to have a little time machine out in the garage for little moments like these? thanx all of you for your help and info i knew about what i was gonna offer but your confirmation and help certainly makes me more comfortable with it.

**EDIT** HE JUST CALLED ME BACK AND HE IS 99% SURE THEY ARE 16X11"

jp

14. 31whitey

31whitey

Sounds like you may be getting another sweet deal...

Others may hate ya....but after seeing those americans mounted up....

you got style...I like that....

Ill be in touch...seriously

15. brandon

brandon

crazy how these things have gotten....if the wheels have never been polished, the size is cast into them....

16. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

i think i'm gonna run out and have a better look at the stuff tonight and bring some money with me . i didn't know the halibrands ( or any magnesium wheels) had sizes cast in to em' i will check in to that tonight while i'm there!

17. alchemy

alchemy

Sometimes (always?) it's even on the front side, so you won't need to go disassembling. Like a tag was added to the mold before the pour.

18. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

it's just a 27 t coupe altered with a 12.5 : 1 NA SBC not anything major and the 15x10's would definately be fine. but i think those monster tires out back and those little 12 spokes up front would be a hell of a combo . i have as many rare early speed parts as i could find for the SBC ....early nicson front motor mount/timing cover and early moon valve covers and breathers ,early offy dual 4 tunnel that i may be running 4 chrome strombergs on, it's a 327 bored +.060 with camel back heads all worked . and a few other little goodies.it'll have a muncie 4 speed behind it and i have a hurst V gate shifter . shroeder cowl steering, and all polished or chrome susp. components and acc...... currently planning on doing a polished aluminum frame. still in the design stages but i'm thinking plate aluminum and making my own box tubing for the front section and running pre fab aluminum box for the rest . should be a lot of fun ...gonna be my street strip version of a ridiculous 60's altered track beast with a show car flair mixed with the look of an outrageously unproportioned hotwheels but i want to mix enough early traditional parts with some of the oddness to keep it somewhat classy ...think purple people eater meets deaths doorstep meets...... i don't know , all i know is it's gonna be crazy and it's gonna be mine!!!

19. brandon

brandon

should be something like these.....

Attached Files:

20. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

I've been into magnesium wheels for a few years and it's very difficult to price them. I'd say the price of rears has easily tripled in the last 5 years.

That being said, I think wheels are THE most important part of any car. I would skimp in other areas and bite the bullet for a nice pair of vintage mags.

Here is a photo of 2 pairs of Halibrands that are both 16x11:
    [​IMG]

Here is my single bolt pattern 16x13's:
    [​IMG]

Kevs56 likes this.
  21. Super Kool posts. Love them oxy wheels !

22. rodrobb

rodrobb
    from Sweden

Hi sinisterpimp
    Do you have any pics of your 27, It sound`s as a badas T.
    Have a similar projekt and was looking for halibrands but find some
    american racing magnecium tt insted. not bad at all whit american racing

Attached Files:

• 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      114 KB
      Views:
  23. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

Well, what happened? Did you get the wheels?

24. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

Yea, what he said! ^ :)

25. Jersey Meathook

Jersey Meathook

You no want?....... I'll take.