Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pure Hell................picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, May 3, 2009.

1. Rich1028

Rich1028

when I first saw the tiltle of this thread,I first thought of this car..

[​IMG]

both great race cars!

Deuces likes this.
  2. Man those are some cool ass pics !! Driving that thing looks like it would be Pure Hell !! >>>>.

3. James Boys

James Boys
    from London ONT

I don't think there has a been a more aptly named drag car! Great photos

4. rick finch

rick finch

Dale "The Snail" Emory...........has LARGE brass testicles!!!:cool:

5. Joe King

Joe King

Looks funny sitting in a parking lot

6. Hey Royal thats is one nasty sumbitch and for sure would be a WILD ride.

Willie Borsch would be proud man !!

Rat

7. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

Nah! nothing close to stupid or fearless....The drivers just had a big set of these. [​IMG]

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

9. dirt

dirt

here is a feature from the october 1965 drag racing magazine.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  10. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

He created this iconic drag car which I've known for decades, but only recently did I realize that he's the same Rich whose roadster won the AMBR award at the Oakland Roadster Show in about '61. And his purple duece turns up at shows all over the country.

11. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Wow - cool stuff!

12. Flying Tiger

Flying Tiger
    from Japan

That would be one crazy car to drive.

13. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Thank you so much for the Awful/Awful photographs! They are beautiful. Nothing on the drag-strip has ever been cooler than an A/A Fuel Altered! Pure Hell; Pure Heaven; Nanook; Wild Wiliie Borsch's Winged Express; The Rat Trap; The Mop All BADASS! These were the days before insurance adjusters ruined drag racing by keeping the track owners under their thumbs! The Winged Express is still out there though, running the only real altered left. I got Mousey Marcellus' autograph at the track here in Tucson. He still carries Wild Willie Borsch's ashes to the track in an urn! I kid you not man! I seen it with my own two eyes, COOL!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2009
    Deuces and Hollywood-East like this.
  14. Royalshifter ...

Great thread!

I have been collecting pics of Pure Hell for many years now (with the intention of starting a similar thread) ... I've got quite a few images that have yet to be posted here ... but since they are on my home computer's HDD, I won't be able to contribute to this thread until tonight.

I believe GG Gazzette Editor (and fellow HAMBer) KIRK! also has a large collection of Pure Hell images ... Guasco had been storing his famous AA/FA @ the GG HQs facility for quite a few years ... just 50 feet or so away from Kirk's office:

[​IMG]

... I hear that Kirk has been known to take his lunch breaks in the cockpit of Pure Hell ... pretending he's Dale Emery and making Blown HEMI noises! :D

15. I don't have a picture of it, but Pure Hell is on my Rat Fink edition Matco toolbox.
    Sweet thread, thanks for posting all the pix.
    JK

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

here ya go..........

[​IMG]

17. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

18. sunsetdart

sunsetdart

Saw him and "Wild Willy Borsch" run a match race back in the late 60's. Have diecast of both cars...........very cooooollll!!!!!

19. Just an FYI ...

Starting next month, Pure Hell will return to the exhibition circuit ... Three GG Vintage Drag Racing events will include match races between the current incarnation of Dave Hough's NANOOK '23 T Roadster and the Guasco's Pure Hell Bantam Roadster ... just checkout my "Nanook & Pure Hell AA/FA Match Races in 2009" thread (click HERE).

20. Best Damn Drag Car Name EVER!!!!!!

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  21. phat rat

phat rat

He drives the roadster all over also.

22. 3:30 in....PURE HELL..Indy nats 1969 racing Ron Ellis...excellent....

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  23. beatnik

beatnik

I actually thought Rich had tow different cars from all the pics I'd seen of it since it came back out over the last 15 years, the original chassis and a modern one.

In some pics it's got dual parachutes and a legal cage and in others it looks pretty close to the orignal Hemi coilover version. I know I read somewhere they had to put the bigger fuel tank on it because the old one didn't hold enough fuel to make a single run down the strip when he brought it back out in like 1995, but I think they were also running mid 6-sec times too.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  24. checkedgoldtop

checkedgoldtop

more videos please!!!!!

25. Cshabang

Cshabang

simply awesome!!!!

26. autobilly

autobilly

[​IMG]

Crazy outa-shape monster, wild ride must be Pure Hell!

27. Does anybody know the whereabouts of Fred Sorenson, who ran an Altered named "Warlock" in the early 60s? I think he sold it to Frank Otto?, but that may be wrong. He'd probably be well into his 70s now. I knew him when he lived in Dixon, CA in 1960.

Thanks for any info or leads.

28. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

To Eastcoast57: That was AWESOME man!, Great post!! "Pure Hell" RULES!! How about the double nickel taking out Landy and the big corporate sponsor (although it looked like Landy broke). I heard that before he passed away Dick Landy was racing supercharged flatheads at Bonneville. God bless him, he had a pretty good run alright! Thanks again man!

29. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

That article was cool, about the combo, with the Chevy.
    It talks about how it would never work with a Chrysler motor!
    The Chevy motor specs are interesting, too...
    Not what I expected.
    Neat that it also mentions running an open Old's rear. I have been told that back then, the idea of running a posi/spool was considered suicidal!:eek:
    Yeah...THAT'S whats gonna kill ya...not the 1300 lb. 5' chassis and the sky-high Nitro-burner!
    They always annihilated both slicks though, I guess at 1300 lbs. the open rear is searching for traction anywhere it can find it!
    Cool...iconic car.