Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage SK500 Die Hards invade Dewey

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G V Gordon, May 3, 2009.

1. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Mick said it best on Friday night, "The Stray Kat is the only show that rain keeps the locals home and the ones who have to travell all show up".

First, let me say thanks to Mick and all the other "Kats" who put this thing together every year. You guys do one hell of a job!

I do have to say that your's truly wussed out this year and after rising early, loading the T on the trailer and having it start raining and the neighbor coming over to tell up we had golfball sized hail coming in, I put the tub back in the garage and drove the daily.

Friday night was wet but it didn't dampen spirits one bit, the hot dog feed was great, with plenty of shelter to get in out of the wet and lots of cool stuff to look at. I made the comment to Mickey that he wasn't paying the preacher enough. The reliability run to Woolaroc Museum was canceled because a couple low water crossings had become high water crossings, but Atch, Justin, Terry and I braved it in Terrys towncar and had a great couple hours browsing the museum. Notice the pic of Justin and the burrow. You can make up your own caption.

Saturday dawned to loud thunder and rain but by about 10:30 it started to clear and turned into a really nice day albeit a little chilly. (Mick must have promised a little bonus in the collection plate next week LOL) The rest of the Enid guys pulled in about 10:30 Saturday and it was good to see Arch's little truck cruising in without missing a beat.

The show was great as always, made new freinds and got to see a bunch of old ones. Ratty 55, 41 Mopar, tootallokie, Gon Mad (Jimmy and Chick) great to meet you guys. I know I am forgetting someone. Sorry.

We had dinner Saturday night with Mick and his family, Atch and his little buddy Justin (Ratty 55), Chris (rustyford1) and his son Lane, and a couple others who names escape me (sorry again). Good pick on the resturant Mick, the Margaritas were tops. Later we listened to the Pushrods belt out their rockabilly offerings before heading back to the parking lot to BS some more then off to bed.

Sunday dawned gray but started to clear and was cool and clear through the awards ceromony.

I'll take a rainy SK500 over most any other show in the sunshine, the cars are great, the people even better.

Reservations are made for 2010 already.

Again thanks Mick and all you Stray Kats for a great time!

GV

p.s. Chris, Terry said thanks for popping her back, it's much better.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  2. It was a great time... and I didn't think we would discuss the back thing in public.

3. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Now some car pics, I'll post afew more later.

Attached Files:

4. I think Justin made a new friend. I have several pics I'l put up later. Need time to sort through them all.

5. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Nice....sorry we missed this year, I sold a messload of stuff @ the swapmeet & found a "51' Henry J"

6. have alot of pics posted in my photo albums

7. onelowponcho

onelowponcho

Wicked good time even when the bus didn't start! Thanks Mick and sk500 crew

8. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys for the kind words Hopefully you all had a good time. Finally got the
    chance to hang out with some HAMBers. Dinner Saturday night was one of the
    highlights for me. Maybe because it didn't rain.....

Happy Trails,

Mick

9. Looks fun my friends! Still wearing a sweater up here. BBQ'd for 65 last night and once again the grill was the "hot" spot to hang out! Where is summer?

10. mongo51

mongo51

Mick sorry I had to miss it this year. I had work related emergency.Please sign me up for Fort Scott,and Witchita.I WILL BE AT THESE TWO.

11. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Jeff don't sweat it at all. Your one of the biggest kustom die hards out there.
    When life throws stuff in your direction you have to stay home.... Kan't wait for
    you guys to see the pics you missed some kool stuff. No I shouldn't have said that,
    it won't make ya feel better.. Hey Jeff the show sucked you didn't miss a thing. Now
    thats better....LOL!!!

See ya in Ft Scott!!

Happy Trails,

Mick

12. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Hey Mick,

Meet you with Duncan, great show! Really enjoyed it! Ken

13. HotRodKitten

HotRodKitten

we missed you...there was no parking security on duty this year

14. atch

atch

just rolled into the ranch. what a trip!

"I'll take a rainy SK500 over most any other show in the sunshine, the cars are great, the people even better." AMEN!

took 7 hours to get there. took 8.5 to get home. rained most of the way. froze my nads off all the way home. still, if mick said we could do it again next week, rain and all, i'd be there.

many thanx goes out to mick and everyone else who is responsible for putting on this show.

to all the friends from the past that i got to see again this weekend - it was great getting together again. wish we could do it more often.

to all new friends - i'm looking forward to getting together again next year (or at the drags or anywhere else). especially twotallokie. thanx for the hospitality.

15. Pops

Pops
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa

For me too! Same place different group of Hambers!! (Creepy, Heidi, Dougie, Liz, Scottie, Whitey and Hag!)

Thanks again to Mick and all those who made it a great weekend.

J.

16. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

a few more pics

Attached Files:

17. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

Thanks Mickey I had a blast !!!

18. 41 mopar

41 mopar

It was nice to meet some of the fellow hambers and see some old ones. I picked up some cool art from GV, all ready hanging in my shop. Thanks to twotall for let me storing my trailer in his shop. Even though it rained, it was to short of a weekend. Onlly in Dewey can u shop around and find a cool sombero and fit in. what a blast. See every one at ft. scott.

19. Hey George, thanks for the pics! I missed being there this year. I was hoping at least my Merc would make it there, but some last minute wiring problems along with the weather got in the way. My office this year will be one degree less cool without it's annual GV Gordon art addition! :)

20. Had I not been occupied hauling a truck to central Texas, I'd been there with the Coronet! Next year, I WILL be there, but hopefully with the '56 wagon, instead!

21. gonmad

gonmad

Nice to meet you guys that I hadn't met before! Once again, awesome show Mick!! Thanks for all your work, it is much appreciated! I just watched the DVD from last year and it is pretty kool! Good idea and good exicution.

22. Monkey

Monkey
    from Owasso, OK

We had a blast once again! Rain on and roll on...

monkey

23. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Monkey, good to get to visit awhile this time around.

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Mick, Dan and I had a great time, as usual...water has never melted any paint on a car that I know of anyway...

We got home last nite at 1 AM...decided not to stop anywhere for the nite so drove straight thru...took 11 1/2 hours to get home, looked like it was going to rain on us again, but didn't the whole way. Drove out of the menacing clouds into the beckoning ColoRODo sunset west of Hays, KS...

See you in Salina...

R-

25. Monkey

Monkey
    from Owasso, OK

Same here GV. Can't wait to cruise the roadsters together sometime. Tell the Mrs. it was nice to meet her too.

monk

26. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I drove up Sat morning and went to the show with dad and brother.
    Rain sucked in the morning and then the skies cleared up a bit and got nice.
    Ran into JK, didn't know anybody else but saw a bunch of cool rides.
    Especially liked the coupe with the spider webs connected to the header pipes and the custom grill, and also the dash was cut around the gear shifter which had a knob just a few inches from the roof.
    The owner said it took him 8 months to build Wow.
    He told me he had lurked around on the hamb a couple of times but was't a member.
    To Bad the car was awesome looking.

27. KarBabe

KarBabe

we had a great time and we will be there rain or shine every year. thanks again papa mick for letting me help.

28. FastLane

FastLane

Hey thanks Mick for a great show..had a good time!!

29. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Lane, it was nice to talk to ya again. One of these days you'll get the Hot Rod on the road. Be patient and don't get down because it is not ready yet. Your blessed owning a project and they're a lot of guys out there that wish they had such a kool hot rod.....

Brigit was our trophy girl this year and it looked alot better then me giving away the trophys. You did and Good job and glad that Don had a good time too...

I'm sorry that you ran in to JK, I was trying to keep him away from everybody...ha, ha, ha,

Sean Munday was the owner of the Hot Rod very Kool project and a lot of kool details. I'll try to post some more pictures later.....

See ya next year the Wagon looks like a killer project.

For the ones that missed out on Saturday night you missed Jamie's 20 minute Bass solo. I didn't know that Jamie had it in him. He didn't miss a beat.

Glad ya had a good time looking forward to the reat of the year.... Gonna be a lot of fun.

30. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

Here's a few of my pics. The ride back home with Atch convinced me to put side windows and a heater in my A. That was cold....I had a blast at the show though! Lots of cool sleds and A hot rods. Saturday night was pretty crazy :) I'd go back for sure.

Here's a pretty cool shot I got from the Dewey Hotel Museum.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know if i should delete this......
    [​IMG]