Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Nailhead Part - Remote Oil Filter Adapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zman, Mar 13, 2009.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Got the prototype, It fit nice but I wanted to tweak it a little bit since I wanted to use the stock gaskets. Made the changes and I should have the second one the beginning of the week. Should have the 61-66 one as well. I guess I'm obsessing over these, I want them to be the best.

2. I'll double check in the AM, but I think it is the small block mopar that fits.
    Also, Paul (rocking B...50 Buick custom) also had some made up. He is on here but I can't remember his logon, Maybe JT or ZMAN recall. He is on the Yahoo Nailhead group. Moved from AZ to Michigan or Ohio (one of those cold states).

Scott, how much is one of these remotes going to set me back?

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm trying to nail that down, right now it's all about machine time. We're trying to get it down. But it ain't cheap and neither are quality materials. I should know in the next day or two how we're doing with that. We're only making small batches, probably 20 of each at a time so that doesn't help either. If we can't get it down much more the plates are gonna run about $85 and that most likely will be the HAMB discount price. Trying to do full kits for in the $150 range depending on what kind of deal I can get for the lines and the O/F mounts.

Right now I am concerned with the machine time, tooling changes etc. If I decide to supply the gasket with them amongst other things. It's really a tough thing to produce a part. I also need to worry about design and development costs. But the first run will be sold here on the HAMB.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  4. JAWS

JAWS

Don't give the freaking things away!

5. Kustombuick

Kustombuick

ZMAN, keep me in the loop, I am intrested in one when they get made...Alan

6. williebill

williebill

Interested,too,for later 401 engines

7. zbuickman

zbuickman

Are you talking big or small block?? for the small blocks its already been done... Gearator oil pump eliminates the leaky pos on the side of the cover..higher oil presure and volume. it involves taking a 3800 lower and welding it to a stock upper and redrilling the holes for the oil pan. and adding a .250" spacer to the crank hub:)

EDIT: or was it cutting off .250" anywho I can get that information if its pertnet to you

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

who plays with small blocks?

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

what's a small block? :rolleyes:

10. zbuickman

zbuickman

I figured as much......:) But had to ask. I dont either but they are the same as my O/T 6 banger. and that has worked well for stage I & II 6 bangers. just tring to help:)

11. telriv

telriv
    from Conn.

Small block & big block Mopars are basically the same water outlet/thermostat housing. You need to slightly elongate the bolt holes.
    Z-Man, try re-inventing the wheel & produce Adjustable, Variable Ratio Roller Tip Rocker Arms For our Beloved "Nails". Then you'll know what a real NIGHTMARE is!!!! In comparison the Mini-Starter was a walk in the park/piece of cake.

Tom T.

12. striper

striper

Thanks guys, I went ahead and did my own. Came out good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and I was right in my guess about material...$34 AUS. Most of it ended up on the floor.

Pete

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Ok so after using an old Ansen unit to work off of, we figured out that their design sucked and we went back to the drawing board. What we now have uses the stock gasket with no issues. It's patterned directly off of the stock canister filter adapter. I should have the new one in my hands tomorrow or Friday to test fit on a motor then the first run.

It got tapped this morning... but here's the what the prototype looks like now.

[​IMG]

Notice how the stock gasket fits all nice and clean.... The Ansen unit wasn't even close and I don't understand how they even sold that damn thing...

[​IMG]

Now we hopefully we can move onto the one for the late model Nailheads.

14. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

Arent the OFFENHAUSER ones cast?

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yeah, the old ones were cast.
    I haven't seen one of theirs in about 10 years, got lucky finding the Ansen one a while ago. Now I'm glad I didn't try to use it. After dealing with making this one the Ansen unit wasn't even close to being workable.

16. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

looks great, im sure i'll end up taking one for my 55! and while we're on the subject of nailheads, im always looking for speed and dress up parts for the 322....anyone point me in a direction i may not have searched? thanks!

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Well here is the first one bolted to an engine...

1957 364

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the redesign was well worth it. Fits like a glove. Gasket fits correctly. Oil passages line up for optimum flow. I'm happy with it.

18. quadcamiron

quadcamiron

Lookin good zman! May need one for a 56' 322 in the (hopefully very) near future!

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Now on to the late model one... I think we may have nailed that one first time out.

20. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

The offy guy at pomona swap meet has a ton of them.

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'd like to see one of the Offy's as the Ansen is not useable. The holes don't line up, the oil orifices aren't even close, and the stock gasket won't work nor does it come with one.

22. Great!

Now every Nailhead owner can use one of these;)

Dennis

Attached Files:

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That's the idea... :D

24. It's nice to see you kids can play together..........!

25. That one should be easy.

I made one that sets either #10 line anywhere on a circle independently.

Not sure what you're doing, but I have no probs if you copy it.

Want a pic?

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Thanks, we've already gotten the design done similar to this one. Got the lines to line up with the orifices. Can use the stock gaskets. Just waiting on it to show up in my hands right now. This one is going up for sale. Today. First run is being done, probably 20 initially.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  27. belair

belair

I'm waitin for Speedy Bill's version.:)

28. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Mine fits. :p and is made in the US :p by US residents :p

29. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

who speak english... well at least untill he gets shittyfaced