Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Lets see those red wheels!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52chevydeluxePDX, May 2, 2009.

1. Here's a couple of shots of my '40, with and without trim rings.

Attached Files:

2. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I do not do pix. but my coupe which is a pale yellow has red wheels with 47 caps and beauty rings works for me.

3. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

[​IMG]

Not always a bad thing.

-KK

4. Cooon

Cooon

I have thought about changing my wheel colour, but what to?
    [​IMG]

5. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

Who cares what other people think.Do what you want.
    52 chevy pickup i used to own.Theme and colors were my daughters idea.

Attached Files:

• 06.jpg
      06.jpg
      File size:
      322.9 KB
      Views:
  6. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

As I mentioned in my earlier post I really like red Steelies. I think black and red are complimentary of each other in their contrast. Black on black obviously does not have that contrast, however black on black looks aggressive, and super clean. It is a very cool look, and not so common. Red steelies are Run of the Mill, but as I said before, I just like the way they look...

Attached Files:

7. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

Wow... The sad thing is, LOOK AT THAT HOUSE... It ain't like this fella's giving handjobs behind the dumpster at the liquor store for an Abe Lincoln. I bet he spent a fortune on making a complete piece of crap. He could have afforded a very well made, genuine hot rod (not even traditional per say, something like the way my Galaxie's set up) of good quality parts.

On another note, I admit to being one of the "rockabilly" types. I use Murray's in my hair every day, where alot of black, roll up my jeans, the whole deal (but dammit, don't talk shit on my boots... I've had the same pair of harness boots since I was 16 years old! THOSE are some good boots!). It's just become who I am, it was a progression from being a hardcore punker (or skateboarder, or so on) that IMO comes with age, and for that matter maturity. My neatly combed hair, despite being a tasteful pompador, looks alot more proper and respectful than the mohawk I once sported, and it shows through at mt workplace. I think my coworkers do see and realize I am a "subculture" guy, but I do make myself presentable (although I have a couple tattoos I can't hide, but I don't particularly care, really, I don't even try), do my job well, and genuinely know my shit when it comes to what I do. I still think of myself as a punk rocker, no matter how I look. Its what I've always been, and I sort of took the rockabilly turn because I really liked the music, the "scene" influences your look, and there you go.

The car thing is different. There's PLENTY of "rockabilly" (ugh) guys, like me, that do and have genuinely love cars, hot rods, workin' on 'em, but that's something that has nothing to do with "the scene" honestly, it's alot more about how you were brought up, just like "everyone else." Some guys are into hotrods JUST because it's "cool", those are the guys that build shit, don't get it, half-ass it, and don't even think about engineering at all. The worst thing about it, is I dress and look like one of those guys, even though I've had a lifetime obsession with cars and always do the BEST job I'm CAPABLE of on anything I do.

There are plenty of guys like me out there (not that I'm real good or anything, but I did my best and if it wasn't good enough someone else did it), that do great work, have some inginuity, and build terrific cars. I'd be willing to bet their stories are like mine.

I'm a punker thats the road I took in middle school, just the way it works. Now, nearing 30, I dress like a greaser (tasteful at work, punk rock everywhere else), have tattoos, listen to rockabilly/punk/psychobilly/punkabilly/cowpunk (see, I even got the terminology!), wear studs and chains and probably some sort of skull or something (always a band logo though!) the "northern-southern" drawl, everything. I chose that (except my accent. West Virginia did that). I just WAS and AM a car guy, and if I want to mix two of my passions by tossing a skull or two on my car, or some kind of classy spiderweb (and man, I got one idea that would look terrific, I think I'm gonna do it even with the stigma).

Your car's an expression of yourself, just like how you dress or what you listen two. That being said, I hate the god-awful ugly, piss poor constructed, dangerous and proud, take the skulls/crosses/etc. WAY too far, buckets of shit too. And it seems like when you see radial tires, they're on a "rat rod". Ugh.
    Later! I gotta rest up gettin the garage cleaned up and all my tools cleaned and put away to get workin' on the unratrod.

-Jason

PS-Did I come across like a long-winded egotistical jackass? I worry about that alot.

8. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

WTF is up with the exhaust?

9. I was wonderin also, I think thats a caddy flathead, which they used in planes and tanks also. I've never seen one with a nice set of heads like that. It'd be nice to see that motor in a car thats easier on the eyes.....

10. JimSwann

JimSwann

Here is my beater with red wheels. They were flaking chrome and ugly as heck. Blasted primed and painted, Im digging them now.

Jim

Attached Files:

11. RichG

RichG

Bettlejuice, you sound like an alright guy. As far as punk goes, hey, you're talking to a nearly 40 year old punker :D

Don't worry about what anyone thinks about you, as long as you can go through life with your head held up, then it's all good.

I'm not against red wheels, I'm against wheels being red just for the sake of being red. They do not look good on a lot of vehicles, they detract from what is often a very nice car, as I think would be the case here with the original poster. BUT, that's just my opinion, don't get mad at me for saying it when asked.

In the end, remember this: Don't ask questions you may not want to hear the answers to.

12. red3

red3

Guys give me grief about the reds on my 63 c-10 all the time thats why I left em on. To each his own.

13. rick finch

rick finch

Red steelies & 48 caps on my 62 uni-body p.u..........red smoothies & ralley caps on my black & flamned 96 Chev p.u........... so f'n sue me!:p

14. roddinron

roddinron

I like red wheels on the right car, but on yours I'd probably paint em black, chrome nuts, and done.

15. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

I know what ya mean.... I don't care about (or for) red steel unless the car needs it. Give me some BLACK steelies please... No trim rings... And "FORD" dogdishes. I'm thinking a super high gloss maroon for the engine, suspension parts, and wheels for the Model A, but I don't want to overdo anything because that car's all about the motor, thats what I want people to take notice of first!

EDIT: Just saw your avatar, I used to work with autistic kids back in high school and college... One of my favorite teachers had an autistic son and he got me into helping out when they had outtings and such, actually did all of their promotional photography. Lots o' fun. Autistic or not, chasin' kids around a park is always a handful, especially luggin' a hoss of a camera the whole time.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  16. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

Rockabilly = punk rock retirement plan.

Paint the damn wheels red already, but I think you'll change your mind after a while. The car rocks as it is. I think it needs wide whites and it's done.

17. e z i

e z i

Yea, Red wheels...they we're good enough for my '35 when it was new, so
    they're good enough for me now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. JamesG

JamesG

19. MP&C

MP&C

Here I was gonna repaint them black, didn't know the red was so popular :D

[​IMG]

20. '46 caps and smooth rings.

Attached Files:

21. Philbilly

Philbilly

Personally I think red wheels have been overdone. They do look good on some vehicles, but I think that the r** rodders have took it to far. I decided to get mine powdercoated black. You can't go wrong with black IMO, but its your car, so if you want red, go with red.

22. de-fenders

de-fenders

[​IMG]
    Here's my roadster.

23. BadLuck

BadLuck

Red wheels are gay...:)...heres mine with beauty rings, bullet center caps and bullet lug nuts.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Davester

Davester
    from PDX

this thread sucks!!

25. leocad

leocad
    from LA, CA

heres how Id do your car

[​IMG]

26. Chopped and channelled 30 coupe with , need I say , red wheels!

Attached Files:

27. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

I like red wheels, but I think leocad got it right for your car.
    Kind of understated and classy.

28. BadLuck

BadLuck

I also agree with leocad, the silver is perfect...

29. 88daryl88

88daryl88

This pic posted today by petritl in the May Banger Meeting thread.

Red wheels might be as common as Arseholes, but they can look hot.:p
    [​IMG]

30. Billet

Billet

Thank God thats over...I guess some people like 'em and some don't... how unusual?