Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects SOHC Galaxie frame rolls

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOHC427, Apr 28, 2009.

1. SOHC427

SOHC427

Thanks HEMI35,
    I broke the engine back in the late 80's, and life got in the way, of repairs. I am looking forward to the fun the car brought, again. I am sure I will act like a little kid again, with the car.
    I would love to see the 63, as they are a pretty car.

Hemifarris, you are right. I mixed up the names, from way in the past, with Brian, and the 2 dealerships.
    Eric

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Nice project - got a friend back home with a '61 Starliner with a Cammer in it (built in the '80s & was in Super Ford back then). Very nice car...love the Cammers...wish I could afford a few of them! ;)

3. SOHC427

SOHC427

SOHC's are just sick and wrong. I have always been amazed by them, and there being different.
    Years ago, I was sitting at a stop light with the car, and a small block chevy nova pulled next to me, and the passenger asked if I had a big cam, and I said I have 2 big cams, and he just laughed at me......and said to the driver, this guy thinks he has 2 cams!!!
    We didn't pop them off, but I still remember....

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  4. SOHC427

SOHC427

Flat Ernie, is that John V's car?
    Eric

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

No, Jeff Drayman - he's got several Cammers (not sure I spelled his last name right).

6. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

Ok SOHC here she is! 427 centre oiler, NOS medium risers, 2x4 ford tunnel wedge, 2.78 first 1 3/8 31 spline toploader, 3.9 detriot N case 9inch etc etc. 63 & 64 galaxies are KING![​IMG]

BHoover likes this.
  7. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

Very exciting times for the SOHC & FE'S with the recent release of Bill Coons awesome sohc heads and relevent parts to rebirth these awesome engines! I personally am waiting and watching the outcome of these new parts so I can eventually put one in the above Galaxie! Cant wait.....H
    [​IMG]

BHoover likes this.
  8. hemifarris

hemifarris

Does anyone have Bill Coon's phone number? You can send it to me at [email protected]
    Thanks.....Mike

9. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

Bills number is 734-277-1900

10. hemifarris

hemifarris

Thanks a lot. Bill used to do engine mod work on my snowmobiles in the '70's. He was as good of a snowmobile drag racer as he was a car racer. He won numerous snowmobile national titles. He used to race a SOHC '57 T-bird out of his shop...Bill's Speed Shop. He's one of the best engine men I've ever met. In the old days, Bill did a lot of work for Gapp& Rousch. I'd lost track of him over the years.....Thanks again.......Mike

11. weathrmn

weathrmn

one of the most feared dirt modifieds was Paul Deasey's 707. As Gerald Chamberlain commented, "too much power for 1/2 track, better suited for 1 mile".

Stan Ploski drove it to many wins at Flemington and East Windsor.

Other drivers that drove it, Bob Pickel, Paul Fitzcharles, Al Michalchuck

12. SOHC427

SOHC427

Hemi35, that is a beautyful car. I love the wheels, and that teardrop. Classy car, all the way, with some bite, under the hood.
    Hemiferris, I know Bill, and Earl Wade stay in touch. I heard Bill was looking for a lifter valley baffle for a cammer,(No holes).
    Funny you mention his T bird, as I had a friend if mines 56 Bird with a cammer sitting here for years. That car is now in Lake Havasue. Pure 70's car, 5 slots, chrome single hoop roll bar, traction masters, and some 12 second time slips from National Trails raceway. What a nasty little ride! I will find a picture or two, around here someplace.

FlatErnie, I don't know your friend, but what color is the 61? Black by chance.

Another Colorado guy is building a red 65 Cyclone with a Cammer, and Ken knows who to build a nice car. I am going to get him on this site, so you can enjoy some of his work, too.

Eric

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  13. hemifarris

hemifarris

Eric,
    Thanks again. I just spoke with Bill for about 40 minutes. He's still in the same shop I started hanging out in in 1979.He says the picture of his '57 T-bird cammer doing a wheelstand is still on his shop wall....Mike

14. SOHC427

SOHC427

Mike, I need to thank you, as well. I spoke to Earl, tonight, and he is "firmly suggesting" that I use a set of Coon's heads on my cammer. Better than anyting the factory offered, was Earl's comment, plus shedding 120lbs, of the front of my tank! Earl is flat out a cammer hero. If I only knew what he has forgotten, I would be lucky!
    Eric

15. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

No, it's a maroon/burgundy color. Wish I had a pic of it. The really sad part is, he doesn't drive it much. He showed it a bit when it was first built, now it sits in his warehouse mostly. He's got a couple complete cammers and enough parts to put together a few more I think.

16. James66g

James66g

Man I have never been able to hear a cammer run in person just videos I hope to see a video of this car when its done! As for a cammer in my Galaxie I would be stoked to get my hands on a good 390?
    James

17. SOHC427

SOHC427

I would love to see his car, FlatErnie. I would also like to have the "Bad Luck" on having to many cammers, and parts. Keep in touch,

James66g, if you want to see cammers run, come to Bakersfeild, for the CHHR, Larry Knapp, George Scarpentini, and many other cammers are always there. I think it was 3 years ago, I counted 8 cammer cars there.

18. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Love the 64 galaxie.Cant wait till I hear it sneaking around the corner,Nothing like the sound of a cammer.Say the word And I'll bring the beer,lets get that frame rolling.

19. SOHC427

SOHC427

It's rolling, Ken,,,,, Just waiting on Earl to put that bitch on the dyno!!!
    Eric

20. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

One of the fondest memories from childhood was a 64 Galaxie that had a 427 sohc in it. I was about 13 riding shotgun with a friend of my dads through the popular cruising area in Des Moines during a trip to the 1st Leadsled nats there. We were driving along, when all the sudden we heard this tremendous roaring engine thundering past. It was a couple of Black guys in a Red and white 64 Galaxie. As it went past, I asked what the 64 sohc on the license plate meant. All Jim said was..."It just means it's a hell of a fast car!"
    I always thought about that car, and how cool it was, then about 10 years ago, I was walking through the Goodguy's show in Des Moines, and there it was in the Ford displya...THE 64 SOHC GALAXIE!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was just as a remembered it! I was a real joy to know it wasn't just a fuzzy childhood memory, but it really exsisted! That car started my love of Galaxies.

21. Eric Wenger is that you ??????????

Great to finally see some of your stuff. Have been hearing about it alot from Fast Eddie Stokes, a club brother. Also, years ago when I worked with your brother he'd mention your projects.

Looks great ! Johnnie Walker.

22. SOHC427

SOHC427

Hi Johnnie,
    Yep, guilty as charged.
    I have really been hitting the Galaxie project hard, and need to get it finished.
    Ole Eddie, he a funny one, too.
    I am going to see my brother, and his wife, today. Been a couple of years since I saw him last.
    I will keep you posted on the progress, and make it to your next show, at your place.
    Eric

23. Eric,

Definately bring it up to the Gunnison show, would love to see it ! Yeah, Eddie is a riot, one of my favorite knotheads for sure. We just went to Vegas for the Shifters show and had a great time

I'll get the thread posted for the Gunnison show soon and don't forget the gathering at my house afterwards. Eddie will be there in fine form.

Say hello to Bryan for me...........

Johnnie.

24. SOHC427

SOHC427

Will Do, Johnnie,
    I looked at your site, and it seems you have WAY to many cool cars! I wish I suffered that problem.

I will get Mercuryjunky to bring his cammer 65 Cyclone up too.
    It also turns out the Sin City Shaker, 69 Mach 1, was bought by a guy I know in Denver.... So, maybe a bunch of us can get there, and bust on "Special Ed" a bit.

How about a SOHC for your Willys??
    Eric

25. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

SOHC427 How is your galaxie progressing? Any more pics to share?....H

26. SOHC427

SOHC427

Not yet, Hemi35.
    I did get the lower first gear in my toploader, and gathered up some more of the parts to put the body back on the frame.

Looks like a "Quick-Time" bell housing and a mini starter are the next wallet busters, for me. And I am getting real tired of scrapping off undercoating, so we can paint the bottom, body color.....

Should have my engine by Turkey day.
    Eric

27. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey 427 FORD man...that old mill is 1 choice engine! not many around today, i know you can't wait to drop the hammer! HA! you will have 1 unique hotrod. would love to know what that iron will turn in the quarter? please keep us posted, with plenty of pics. call me POP...or the old FART!

28. I remember going to a car show at Barrie Ont. back in the mid eighties and a Ford Falcon making sounds I had never heard before pulled in to the parking area. It had a teardrop hood with 427 SOHC lettered on it and lots of stickers like it was an ex racer made barely streetable.

I watched him leave and when he bumped it into gear (automatic) it spun the tires a full revolution on the grass before the brakes could stop them - I guess the converter was a little tight for it.

They do definitely have their own sound! Kinda like a Hemi sounds different than a wedge, SOHCs sound a little different yet.

the most impressive Ford I have ever experienced.

29. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

wouldn't be thinking of the wild child falcon by chance would you ? it was found in your area a few years back and restored to its former glory ! saw it make a couple passes at the indy drag strip a few years back piloted by it former driver !

30. joegermann

joegermann

Really awesome. That will be an incredible ride. Keep posting updates.

The first time I saw a SOHC in a Galaxie, it shook the ground around me. I had to have one from that day forward. Our SOHC motor is in a 65 Falcon drag car. Here is the link to the Wild Child. Here is a picture of the motor.

[​IMG]