Register now to get rid of these ads!

Im about to rebuild an automatic trans for the first time. Any tips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by garagedoreen, Apr 29, 2009.

1. garagedoreen

garagedoreen
    from LA,CA

Im about to rebuild a 1962 Cadillac 4 spd Jetaway transmission. Ive never rebuild an automatic trans before. I just ordered 2 books on that trans to overhaul it and the rebuild kit. Im going to start disassembly this weekend.

Any basic trans rebuilding tips?

Thanks.

2. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Make sure to keep everything labeled, there are more parts than you will ever imagine.

3. garagedoreen

garagedoreen
    from LA,CA

yeah, that rebuild kit already has a bunch of crap in it. I can only imagine whats inside.

4. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

5. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

The only advice I can give is something I learned the hard way, many years ago. Clean all the parts thoroughly and blow them dry with air, DO NOT wipe them with a red grease rag, or you will end up with a filter screen plugged up with red rag fibers. Bob

6. kelzweld

kelzweld

Clean the outside of the case before you strip it. You could probably build sub assemblies to make it less of a big job for a first build. And pay close attention to the correct clutch clearances. Have fun.

7. One thing to remember is on those transmissions, at least the hydramatics I worked on is that the steels in the clutch packs are slightly convex so look carefully at the clutches and steels when you assemble them. read the book before you start taking it apart.

8. garagedoreen

garagedoreen
    from LA,CA

thanks for the replies. good stuff.

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Good for you for not being afraid of tackling that job! Here's how I do it:

1. Remove the trans.:)

2. Read the manual.:cool:

3. Think about all those little springs, washers, little balls, levers, doing whatever it is they do in there and picture in my head how they all work together.:confused:

4. Clean the bench.:eek:

5. Load the trans into the back of the truck and take it to somebody who knows what all those little parts are and how to get them back where they belong.:eek:

6. Wipe pen off with red shop rag and write check when I pick it up. Never had red lint clog a filter doing it this way!:D

10. bct

bct

get one of them wire tools for manipulating the seals...looks like a wire loop on the end of a dental pick...

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd also take some pics as you go along. They really help when you're reassembling.

12. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Watch the seals. If you cut one, don't put it in. If you don't have to take the valve body apart, DON'T. Most of all, be patient.

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always lay down an old sheet on the shop floor, then I can line all the parts up exactly as they come apart. You'll end up with a long row of snap rings, clutch parts, drums, spacers, seals, planetarys, etc. so that it ends up looking like one of those "exploded" diagrams, only it will be in 3-D. Then you remove the old parts from the lineup and set the new ones in their place, to get your lineup for re-assembly. Measure any clearances BEFORE you take assemblies apart, and document them. CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. Take pictures. Take more pictures. Then when you think you have taken enough pictures, take some more from a different angle. Make sure you soak the clutches and bands in trans fluid for whatever period of time your rebuild kit or manual says. Take your time. As far as I'm concerned, an automatic transmission is the most complicated component on a vehicle. I'm still amazed that there were people out there a long time ago that figured out how to make them.

14. Bluesfella

Bluesfella

Having no experience with ANY transmission rebuilds before (manual or automatic), I bit the bullet about 2 years ago and rebuilt a 700R4 to go in my Chevy. I CLEANED my garage first, then laid an old clean sheet on the workbench. Like Ebbsspeed said, lay everything out in the order it comes out of the case. Keep eveything labeled, and SUPER CLEAN. If you follow the directions, it's really not that hard, you just have to be meticulous. I drive my '55 Chevy every day with this trans in it, and it works flawlessly. You can do it!

15. garagedoreen

garagedoreen
    from LA,CA

thanks all for the tips. Ive built a few motors and a few late body 5spds, but never an automatic.

yeah, pictures, pictures and pictures. lay out the parts in order, soak the parts. And before i start, clean the garage!

Im going to clean up my work bench and charge my digital camera. Ill post up some pics of the rebuild.

Oh yeah, the trans shop where I bought the rebuild kit. says to use paint thinner to clean the parts. does that sound right??

16. Lucky77

Lucky77

My buddy worked at a trans shop and he had a piece of wood that he would set flat on the floor/bench with a piece of dowl rod sticking straight up. Every part that he took out went onto the dowl in the order it came out in. The dowl could be removed with everything in order when it came time to clean/inspect/replace parts.

17. Best bit of advise so far! hydros are a pain. do you have bushing drivers? a press to release the spring plates on the drums? a way to stand it up so it won't fall over when you start putting everything back in? a way to pressure check it to see if the clutch packs are working? this is a lot different than a manual trans. I worked at a trans shop for 3 yrs as a rebuilder and it ain't fun sometimes.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  18. Paint thinner evaporates and doesn,t leave a film/oily residue on the parts like varsol does.I also use a product called Trans-gel to re-assemble trannys with. Lubes and holds components when re-assembling.

19. garagedoreen

garagedoreen
    from LA,CA

thats a good idea! Thanks.

20. ten thumb

ten thumb
    from texas

Turn off your cell phone and lock your shop door when you start on it. I did R&R work for a re-builder and the only one I ever seen him mess up was because of interruptions.

21. borndead327

borndead327

Get a good set of snap ring pliars

22. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Any good advice for a first timer on a Ford C4 ?
    I can rebuild standard trans and engines but never did a auto trans either . Would really like to do one .

23. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Read all the above comments. Well, almost all of them. A few can be disregarded. Take your time. I'll repeat.... clean everything...then clean again. Go for it. What is the worst that can happen? It doesn't function properly? So what. Figure out why and fix it. It may take more than one disassemble, reassembly. Do not give up.
    It ain't rocket surgery!! (huh?)