Register now to get rid of these ads!

Protect your ride...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Pauly, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Big Pauly

Big Pauly

My 60 F100 is all that I have right now and I drive it everywhere. Tonight, I rode with someone to go meet up with others and left my truck at my shop. The shop is in a decent area, and I was only going to be gone for a few hours so I didn't think much of it. I was almost back to the shop when I get a call from the guy that runs a shop down the street that he had just caught people in my truck but they had gotten away. Well to make a long story short, I have multiple visible toggles, some that are important and some that just make indicator lights work tha indicate nothing, while the kill switches are hidden. When I got to my truck, the dash was trashed from whatever they used to pry the ignition cylinder out. The wires to make it start were connected, and the bright red indicator light was on. I guess with the red light on they thought there was power, however that and the radio memory wire are tied together so that when i flip the battery kill switch they stay on.

I was able to just put in a used key switch from the shop and drive home, but could have lost my truck.

LESSON...
    If you do not have one install a kill switch. If you do have one, put in another as a back up.

2. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

And thats why honest person should have a concealed weapons permit. Glad to hear they didnt get it though man!

3. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Damn bro. Glad to hear thye didn't get away with it.

How's the shop goin?

4. WOW, what a story!!!

I'll keep that in mind, when finishing my truck...

Good to hear, everything worked you!!

5. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

someone stole my wifes car last year but they couldnt get out of the shopping centre car park without a ticket and she found it parked on a different level with the door handle levered and the ign lock and colum surround smashed.
    I was so pissed off i spent the night in the car park with my tourque wrench up my jacket sleeve waiting for him to come back after hours when the boom gates were open.

6. Big Pauly

Big Pauly

Thanks, and the shop is going great.

7. RAY With

RAY With

We see more and more of stealing going on here in Texas and hear about it from all over other states. Its a damn shame with the economy what it is for the thief's to fall out in droves but that's what we now have. About the only way to stop them is to drop them with old Miss 45 if you can catch them in the act. Wont stop them all but may make a few that heed before they take someone's car or property. Your very lucky to have recovered your truck and yes we also have hidden switches in a few of our cars but not all. That's my project this week is to try to make them thief proof. I hate thieves also.

8. Sucks to hear that Pauly, but glad they didn't get it.
    B.

9. that sucks man. Had a car stolen 3 times and striped to the bone.Makes you feel like shit knowing someone has been in your car.

10. good to hear they didnt get it! shame to hear they didnt GET a traditional southern ass whoopin!!

11. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Buy your Buddy down the road a BIG BEER and keep a eye on each others stuff..

GOOG JOB.......

12. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Yeah, buy your neighbor a BIG BEER and some AMMO!!! Shoot first and ask questions later! KABOOM

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Glad to hear that your theft prevention methods worked..or at least slowed them down enough that they decided to get away from it..
    watch it close..they may come back.
    Did your neighbor get a description of them?..and how did they "get away" drive?
    or run?

might want to watch your shop for a while.

14. Mopar34

Mopar34

Glad to hear that the bastards didn't get your truck or do even more damage. I have a kill switch on both of mine plus a shut off switch for the electric fuel pump. Problem is that many of these low lifes will totally trash a car/truck if they think they can't steal it.:mad:

Personally I would like to rig my cars so that the perpetrator was toast as soon as the car was started without a key. Unfortunately the law considers that murder or at the least entrapment.:eek::(

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Just dont call the cops after the perp. gets "toasted"
    no proof it happened in your car..some point to ponder...Theifs dont say.."hey honey, if i dont come home tonight after stealing this shit...call the cops"...get my meaning?

I'd like to rig up my car to lock the doors..run steel sheets up infront of the windows and divert the exhaust into the car..than automatically start up..:eek:..yeah while they are in it!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  16. brewsir

brewsir

hook up a couple of the toggles to a really loud horn or siren inside the truck so when they start trying to flip switches it'll make some noise...put it on a time relay so it stays on for a little while....then remember which one it is so you don't blast yourself....

17. Guys, the crooks were crooks when the economy was good, and they are still crooks when it's bad! A bad economy does not "make" a crook - no moral compass, the entitlement mentality, and bad friends do. If the economy caused crime, then the Great Depression should've been the most lawless period in US history, but it wasn't. It was because of our nation's good moral compass, the "stick-together" mentality, and the drastically different set of standards we had in the '30s that kept this nation together.

I agree with the horn idea - a 145dB train horn, mounted to a 60-second timer, will scare the shit out of a thief and definitely get the neighborhood attention!

18. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Thought my car was theft proof until they used a tow truck..........Now I keep my cars locked up in a garage.

19. Painter D

Painter D
    from DFW

I hate thieves.

20. elrobo818

elrobo818

you lucked out... i keep hearing more and more stories like this on the hamb recently.

21. El_Gato_Scott

El_Gato_Scott
    from So. Tex.

Too many of these stories for my comfort these days. Glad this one had a decent ending.

22. HotRodWillys

HotRodWillys
    from California

Count yourself as a lucky man! You still have your truck! The Hot Rod Gods were watchin' out for you.A hidden electric fuel pump shut off valve is always good too.I also like the horn/siren idea mentioned by Brewsir and silent paging alarm wouldnt be bad either,except for the car thief ! Would you like 1 lumps or 2 ? how about 3 or 4 ? :D

23. GTS225

GTS225

(Thief) I GOT MY RIGHTS!!

(You).....Yep....and here's a few lefts to go with them!

Roger