Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Should I put her to BED?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anderson, Apr 23, 2009.

1. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Run a bolt on, it looks sweet both ways!

2. metalhotrodgirl

metalhotrodgirl

haha no he didnt .. but the bed would make a perfect spot for my pinstriping box :)

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I like a bed for trips - even short beds. Given the more aero style of your car, I'd consider a bed with a deeper well side - 32-34 Ford and raise it a tad so the top rails were a little closer in height to the contour lines on the body.

I'm working out the same deal with my build... consider a hard cover with good seals / drains because the hole deal will fill up with water in a heavy rain.

If doing a soft cover, you might consider some sort of "stylish" but completely removable set of bows / ribs stretching between the stake pockets, so that there will be a little wagon-top curve in a snap on toneau to help it drain. And to match the style of your top.

Otherwise, just leave it open and pack your stuff in water-proof dry bags / weather resistant luggage!

I could also see one of those vintage, fold-down luggage racks on the back looking good - with or without cargo. Water-proof gear will still needed.

Or a trailer hitch and a very small (motorcycle sized) style teardrop / retro trailer? They might be too small, but worth a look. These are some of the coolest small trailer designs I've seen, mostly for bikes. The rest are mostly ugo-Goldwing things. Gary

http://www.trurons.com/dasz/index.html
    http://dreamchasertrailers.com/_wsn/page2.html
    http://www.stema.no/
    http://www.dutchmans.com/
    http://www.golittleguy.com/cms/content/view/34/96/

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  4. I'm almost certain I've seen this car. I really like it but it needs a bed. Run it!

5. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Which breaks down to 79 for yes,25 for both,11 keep it as is,4 for roadster deck,4 undecided,and if you want to go in to percentages,I would say ,make a removable bed that is functional and you can have it both ways,that way the majority votes are both happy,and your bed problem is solved and you're happy either way.

6. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Looks awesome. Like another said, maybe deepen it a bit to the lower body line

7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think ALL the versions shown look good, although my personal preference is Chopt34's turtledeck. Of the pickup bed versions, I prefer the higher/longer one; it balances the mass of the body the best.

8. artemas

artemas

definitely original- go for it

9. Clutched

Clutched

DO it! i like with the bed.

10. A-Wall

A-Wall

11. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I really like it the way it is, but the bed really completes it.

I would make the bed removable though... just incase you get the hankering for that modified look though.

12. Anderson

Anderson

Thanks again folks.

Yes, this is going to happen. It's going to be in line with the belt line on the car, and I think it will probably be the longer version of the bed....this one.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty tied up with another project right now and for the next couple weeks, so I don't have the time or cash to start on the bed yet. But it will be done as soon as it can be!

Any leads on a cheap bed would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  13. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

I like it better as a roadster pickup,so another vote for the bed.

14. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

15. That last Photoshop has it! Cool.

16. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

Wow! Amazing how fast you are able to create/fab this stuff. The bed will look great!

17. hemifarris

hemifarris

The bed makes it!!! Great hot rod by the way! ...Mike

18. skwurl

skwurl

It looks great either way. I would make it removeable like you said. You can have 2 hot rods!

19. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

The longer bed looks the best IMO. I think it looks real good. Build it yourself, and save some money! You can do it , just buy or find a tailgate and some stake pockets, and your good to go.

20. keep the bed removable, go for it

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wow... I liked the car before, but I'm starting to love it. The bed is brilliant.

22. Anderson

Anderson

No, nothing yet. Been working on this thing with a bed...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

23. Go with the bed!!

24. Fidgiter,

The bed is a cool idea....removable is an even better one! Sorry I didnt see this sooner...

For removal, how about 2 Reese-hitch-type receivers...female on the frame and male on the bed. Two pins and it's off (or on)!

25. there is nothing you could do that would screw up the looks of that ride. just drive it add a little from time to time to keep it fresh for you.
    that said I wouldn't make the bed deeper. maybe a roll pan that hid the tank ect.

26. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

it really balances it out - can't wait to see it done... I like the longer version.

27. jm36072

jm36072

It looks good with the bed, but if you made it removable that would be cool!

28. Scrumpy

Scrumpy
    from NH93 Exit1

I like it with the bed. Gets my vote. If you do it can you bead the bedside to match up with the bead around the louvers on the hood side? Not neccessarilly the same shape to the front edge but just using the same bead shape and size.

Scrump

29. Anderson

Anderson

Well, I picked up a Model A bed from BenD a couple weeks ago. Started cutting on it last weekend, didn't get far. But I'm hoping to get a lot of it knocked out this weekend and next week. It'll have the factory beads in the bed sides, much like the photoshop.

It won't be removeable. I mean it can always come back off and be changed back, not going to weld to the frame any...but i don't plan on switching back and forth any. I'll post pictures when I have something to show!