Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Chevy Engine Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by camshaftchris, Apr 28, 2009.

1. camshaftchris

camshaftchris
    from appleton

Ive posted this before with no response(I hope im doing it right). Can someone tell me if a small block chevy bolts up to the original 3 spd trans in my 50 Chevy? My Chev is sportin a 216 stock.

2. displacedokie

displacedokie
    from oklahoma

nice avatar do you know where that car is from and about the trans im sure if it dont they make adapters for that

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Not without an adapter. If you find a late '40s/early '50s Chevy truck three speed, it will bolt to your V8 bell housing and your torque tube.

4. Do a search, this subject has come up often.
    IMHO, it's not a good idea. If you look at the size of a manual trans in a 49-54 Chevy, and look at the size of even a stock 70's 3 speed, you'll see why.
    The early Chevy trannies are pretty good, stock, for a 6 cylinder.
    Putting even a stock 265 in front of one is like pulling the pin on a grenade... even if you baby it.
    My 2 cents, your mileage may vary.
    JK

5. camshaftchris

camshaftchris
    from appleton

Thanks for the info guys. As for the avatar, I found it on google images for "gassers". I just thought it was bad ass.

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

One of those adapters just sold on that auction site we all know and love, for $38.50! I also have the complete setup for my 51 Coupe; only plan on a 250 six (they have the V-8 bellhousing pattern). But, my nephew wants to go with a V-8 and TH350 now. I agree on the size/strenth of the stock 3-speed, it's going to be marginal at best, and there is conciderable modification required to keep the column shift. Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. LIke other have said it will not work without the poper adapter. Not trying to be a jerk but why would you want to keep the stock tranny if your swapping in a V8?

8. south coast rider

south coast rider
    from california

look if you have a tree speed trna with and inclosed drive shaft the bell housing will not bolt on to any !v8 block the bolt pattern its different you would have to look for a bell housing of an early1963 to 66 cast iron bell housing and adapt to your trans and then it will surely accept a v8 although not recommended,..cause your inclose drive line will not hold the torwue of a v8,....i would greatly recommend to replace complete power plant and drive tran to something later,..good luck with your decision

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"Not trying to be a jerk but why would you want to keep the stock tranny if your swapping in a V8?"

just wondering... do you say the same thing to all the ford guys with OHV V8's and stock drivelines?

10. It can be done, but it's not a good idea unless you have a big pile of transmissions to use and enjoy pulling the rearend to swap them out on a regular basis.

You would be better off tracking down a second-generation Camaro that is rough enough to part out, but runs, and using it for a donor for the engine, trans and rearend. The rearend is about the easiest one to install in your car and go to open drive, and then you won't have to drive the car like there's an egg between your foot and the gas pedal all the time.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There were 2 different transmissions used 1942-54 torque tube. One bolts up to the later bellhousing, the other doesn't. The one that does, is more commonly found in pickup trucks but sometimes is in cars. Internal parts are the same.

63 up 250 six, uses the same bellhousing as 55 up V8.