Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Towel City Tires-they recapp piecrust slicks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Von Hartmann, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

So I found this site last night after I saw a pair sell on epay. I saw the post from a while back about the comparison between the Hurst slicks and the radirs, but have never heard of Towel City Racing Tires till now.

www.towelcityracingtires.com

They offer some cool treads and you can choose what kind of compound. Has anybody ever had any experience with these guys? Oh, and their prices start around 300 plus shipping. Thats cheaper than the Hurst and Radirs.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  2. old beet

old beet

Don't know these guys, but I do know HURST. The best tire operation I've ever seen! s
    They showed me and my wife around. She said."I thought it would be dirty", but no. I just stick with the stuff I can trust!!!!!!!!..OLDBEET

3. CGkidd

CGkidd

Looking at there web site it looks like the specialize in roundy-round tires. I have to agree with Old beet on this one.

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

TowelCity is well known ... in the Southland ... :) among dirt track guys.

Almost all the Late Model Stock Car guys ran them in the late 60's and early 70's. Their reputation is good ... when it came to racing recaps ... now this " Pie Crust " thing ... is new ... so only time will tell.

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Suprised at the lack of reception to a new pie crust vendor, simply because they've done a lot of dirt track. Especially since Firestone dirt trackers are so popular on hot rods.

That cheater with partial tread is a bad-ass looking tire.

6. meangreen

meangreen

I ran Towel City retreads on my dirt sportman Camaro several years ago. They were some of the best tires I ever had on dirt. I don't know about their street tires, though. I do know that they were very helpful and provided fast service back then...

7. beatnik

beatnik

Hurst has a few sizes starting at $275 + Shipping, and with the Hamb Alliance Discount, you can get them for even less than that.

8. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

I purchased a set of their trackmasters. I have not run them yet but they look good and are alot cheaper than the Hurst tires. They will also make them in the compound of your preference.

9. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Howdy!
    Hurst Cheater Slicks Start at $295.00 pair
    Alliance Discount get you 15% OFF
    $295.00-15%=$250.00 PAIR
    We stand behind our tires 100%
    Proud to be an Alliance Vendor since the begining of the program.
    I would be very interested in any close up pic's of these tires and how they stack up against the competition.
    Adios
    Cody
    Hurst Racing Tires

10. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I saw that. There are a whole load of different compounds. Their site says only up to 9" wide, but they told me they make 10" wide slicks too.

11. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I have been looking at your slicks for a long time. I really like them. However, the only issue is I think a 30" tall tire is just too tall for my car. I think they would rub. I have 10" wide wheels so I'm looking for a 10 wide tire. The $300 pricing I stated above is for the 10 wide slicks they make. That's where they start because it's a little extra for white wall, shaving, etc.

12. Anybody had any more experience with them in the last 2 years?

Last I heard the Alliance discounts at Hurst were discontinued until further notice... which makes these a bargain...

This is what I got from Towel City as far as prices from last Friday:
    8 inches start at $130, 9" $145, & 10" $160
    16" is $15 more per tire.
    Diameter is 28 3/4" Thanks

$260 for a pair of cheater slicks is a pretty darn good price...

But has anybody had any experience with them?

13. I wish they had something taller than 30"!

14. I know a few guys locally who run the Towel City's. They love them!! I don't know how well they do at the track but they do just fine on the street.

I think that they may be good competition for Hurst. Believe me, I love Hurst but will probably run Towel City's to keep it local as they are only 15 minutes up the road from me.

BloodyKnuckles

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

My understanding is they did them back in the day, just drug the stuff out and started doing them again. Or so they told me.

But who knows I may be gullible.

16. Looks like I'm going to have to be the HAMB guinea pig...

17. Check with 39 chevy kustom here. He's been running them for a while.

The "Pie Crust" from them was produced back then.

BloodyKnuckles

18. Now if I could find an affordable 16" front skinny

19. Good luck!

BloodyKnuckles

20. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

I don't think Hurst has any rat rod tires though.

21. skunx1964

skunx1964

the link in the old post is dead. is their a new link or website for them?

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

23. RAY With

RAY With

I ran them on asphalt and we refered to them as kanapolis tires. They were some of the best tires and compounds in the 60's-70's and we also ran on dirt. There tires were very good back then. As to now I don't know so it will take some experimenting again. I will be in the market for a Pair of 10 inch soon as the rims get here and I will give them a shot.

24. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Here is a video a customer sent in of his Towell City Recaps.

I will let the video speak for itself!

You tell me if it is worth the SAVING!

Needless to say this customer returned the Towell City tires and purchased the tires from us "Attached Picture"

Cody Adams
    Adams Hot Rod Rubber/Hurst Racing Tires

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XToa2TrvDVY

Attached Files:

25. Those look like shit!!! I have been there several times and have seen them on cars and as of yet I haven't seen them look like that. It's pretty sad that they would have let those leave their store like that. No excuse.

It's nice when you live close enough to inspect the tires before you buy them.

Good luck.

BloodyKnuckles

26. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

It's nice when you live close enough to inspect the tires before you buy them.

Good luck.

BloodyKnuckles[/QUOTE]

I would say that would be very nice in this case:eek::D

27. frank spittle

frank spittle

Towel City was recapping drag slicks here before you could buy M&Hs or any other new slick.. In the early days of drag racing almost every drag racer in the Carolinas ran their tires. I would not judge one pair on Youtube as to their overall quality. I hope they address this here. Personally, I don't know anything about the Hurst tires but I would buy either one.

28. mufflerman

mufflerman

i bought a pair about a year ago. they looked good , but was not ture. out of round. had a bad vibration. wanted almost 6oz. of weight per tire. not a good tire to hi-way drive.

29. Not real classy there Cody. Never slam the competition.

My Hursts needed all that and more so we ran them without. a few burnouts and they were fine;)

30. krooser

krooser

Towel City has been in biz since before most guys on this board were born. I used to be a dealer for their stuff. never had any problems with them. Good people to deal with as I recall.