Register now to get rid of these ads!

283 SBC generator question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model-a-fan, Apr 26, 2009.

1. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

I want to run a generator on my 283 SBC. I was curious what I need in the way of electronics as compared to a regular alt. Does anyone have a pic of the factory location? (The engine was bare when I bought it.)

2. a generator needs a voltage regulator. chevy usually mounted them on the inner fender panel...you can mount it anywhere you want as long as it's wired properly . the wiring is real simple

3. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Cool. What brackets to I need to source fo the install? I don't have any pic.s for reference.

4. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

This is where they mounted the generators on passenger cars - off the LH exhaust manifold. On Corvettes, they were mounted similarly, off the RH manifold, and the coolant surge tank was mounted on the LH side.

Good luck.

Mike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. chevy usually used a ram horn like this on the driver's side with a simple bracket from those two holes on the top left side.....you can do anything your imagination will allow for mounting the generator

Attached Files:

6. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Thanks! Not sure if I'm gonna run stock manifolds but that puts me in the ballpark. I appreciate your time digging those up.

7. the pic of the ram horn i posted is the one being used on the motor gzjrd5 posted

BTW , that is a great looking motor..what's the story? what is it going in?

8. chevys are the best for brackets, there's like 2 styles early and late.

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

to add to this post, what is the proper way to wire a generator. there is two or three studs or screws. what wire so where?

10. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Thanks! The motor resides in my roadster. Its a pretty stock build, but with a '39 trans and a banjo, you probably don't need anything more.

[​IMG]

Regarding the wiring. There are "A" and "F" posts on the generator that goes to "A" and "F" posts on the voltage regulator respectively. Plus a ground wire. I ran an GM voltage regulator of about the same vintage with my generator. Used an old GM wiring diagram to wire the engine.

Mike

11. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Where did you source the voltage regulator?

12. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

What do you mean by "source"? Do you mean where did I get it? Or how does the power get to it?

I got mine from my dad - but a swap meet would work too!

Here is a copy of my wiring diagram. Not sure if you'll be able to read it very well on here....

[​IMG]