Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tranny tunnel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhnarial, Apr 26, 2009.

1. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

My Dad is working on a 28 ford roadster.Were putting in a 59ab flat head.He has been asking me to make him a tranny tunnel but he doesn't even have a tranny yet.It's will most likely be a 4 speed.

I told him We need to mock up the motor and trans first,So I could get my measurements.

That being said today is his birthday and he asked if I could come by to help him just lay the motor in place. So I thought I would just whip him out a tran tun. real quick.

Would anyone be able to get me close on the measurements Height,width and length.So maybe I might have a chance that it will be a keeper.

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

it's all going to depend on placement of the motor/trans... I don't think anyone would be able to get you right dimensions unless they had the same setup.

Hope it all works out....

3. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

I know just close would be good.I am just trying to keep him happy.I will have to make him a new one,I'm sure.

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I cant help you.Just to let you know I recently cut out a section from an 89 chevy truck With modificaion .This will work .Exspecially at the bell housing basically goes out one inch and tapers on a real hard angle. The rear part tapers into a v. This will give you more room in your Roadster, I can build my own tunnels ,But a friend of mine was stripping a truck. Id wait until the trans is in.

5. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Putting the cart before the horse. If you do it now, you will either be making it too big, giving up precious interior room, or you will be tearing it out. HIGHLY unadviseable.

6. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

I agree! why make it twice:confused: rework can harder than just making:)
    celebrate his birthday by buying him his trans:p

7. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

We enjoy working in the garage,getting something done in the garage is what makes for a great birthday.

I did make a ten minute tranny tunnel,I think it will be perfect but I have to add a larger hump on the front of it for the bell housing.I would have made it in two pieces anyways.

We set the motor on a stand,to set the motor at the right height.Then marked the firewall for a perfect cut.Pulled the motor out cut out the firewall.Then we just set the motor back in.

Give us something to look at.He's putting this one to the side,it's cruising season now.

tp 122.jpg

tp 128.jpg

tp 129.jpg

8. dawg

dawg

use cardboard next time...

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

From the posts so far it's evident that those sharing their advice don't have a clue as to your metal working skills. Some should take note of your post about turning out a 10 minute trial piece.
    10 minutes.........................most of these guy would spend two days trying to duplicate your 10 minute effort. :eek::D

To everyone else try a search and find some very fine metal working posts. Carry on men.:)

Frank

10. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

My post would be the same if he was the best metalman in the world. Why do it twice even if it only took 10 minutes? Even if I was going to get measurements, isn't "4 speed" kind of vague? :rolleyes: