Register now to get rid of these ads!

What the heck? Wrong door handle tool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AustinPhoenix, Apr 22, 2009.

1. AustinPhoenix

AustinPhoenix
    from Austin

Ok guys/gals,

I bought a door handle tool at autozone and used it to remove one handle. I tried to use it in the other door/window handles to no avail. My dad gave it a go and removed another handle after trying over and over. He told me it's the wrong tool because it doesn't fit in the slot that holds the clip.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...sal+Window+Handle+Removal+Tool&brandName=Help

Am I missing something? I use the end that is on the left side right? It just isn't working. Dang it...I just want to take off some handles. Help.

2. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

I've got one that looks like yours, I've never found a handle it wouldn't remove, Check it on the handles you've removed , tool may need a little minor tweaking or fileing..

3. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Is there a chance that somebody put the clip in from the other side last time handle was installed? I have seen it before when I worked in a body shop. just for kicks try pushing the clip from the other side. Just my .02

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I have had the tool slip on one side as it was moving the clip so that the clip did not come completely off but actually rotated around the shaft. One side of the clip came out but the other side stayed wedged in the slot keeping the handle locked in place. Once that happens the tool is useless. I bend a coat hanger with a small hook on the end and try to grab the horseshoe clip in the center and pull it the rest of the way out. Once it clears the slot, the handle will fall off.

5. 62nova

62nova

Sometimes the clip will get pushed crooked into the groove and then it's difficult to remove. Try using one of those dental pick type hook tools to fish it out .

6. Squablow

Squablow

Also, there is a very thin flat washer (called an escucheon I think, forgive the spelling) behind each door handle, and you have to have your clip tool between the handle and the escucheon to get the clip off. If you put your tool behind the escucheon it will not remove the clip.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

those tools work..but there are those times where the clip is bent or put in the wrong way..than it becomes a bitch..and not the tools fault for not being able to get it out..

try a shop rag..get it caught on the ear or tab of the clip and pull the rag along the door panel..sometimes this works like a charm..some times it bends the fuck out of the clip..but it might just get it off so you can move on

8. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Used that trick many times. Works like a champ.

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Yup...and its also the reason why those clips get called "Fly-to-Jesus" clips!
    Once the rag gets a grip, sometimes that clip is just GONE!
    Not a biggie...you can buy them at an auto parts store anyway...BUT watch your eyes! That clip can do damage if it heads the right way.

10. AustinPhoenix

AustinPhoenix
    from Austin

Okay...well I'll try filing the tool down as it's too thick to even touch the clip.

I slide it between the metal washer eschdfjnk;djaifpekk thing. :) But now I can call it by it's proper name. haha

Hmm...I wouldn't have thought that somebody put the clip in wrong. I can't see it, so I'm assuming it's right. But you know what they say about assuming....

Well I guess I'll get to crackin...

THANKS GUYS!!!

11. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

I have about 15 of those tools and 4-5 of them needed ground on before they worked. Gotta love Chinese tools.

12. The handles on my 49 Chevy have "blind" slots for the clips....meaning the slot does not go all the way across the handle, so that tool can not slip through to pop the clip. The rag trick will work or one of those plier type clip removers where you can just squeeze in behind the clip and pull it out (instead of push it out like that slide tool does).

13. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

have a buddy wedge the washer away from the handle with a putty knife so you can see the clip with a flashlight and bend one of those little trade show screwdrivers into a hook. push, or pull on the end of the clip.
    always works for me when the right tool fails

14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

+1 for the rag trick.

15. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

never thought of the rag...i really like that.

16. elrobo818

elrobo818

hmm... i'll have to give this a try.

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Everyone should have both the slide type tool and the pliers type tool in their tool set. I prefer the pliers type but that's becasue I have always had good luck with them, I guess.