Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Not a new concept.
    The 3 wheeled Morgan wasn't much more than a motorcycle with a body as well as the BMW Issetta.

On a different note there where 4 cylinder motorcycles American built that weren't much more than a jeep with 2 wheels like the henderson 4 and the Indian 4. Ok they didn't have jeep engines but they looked a lot like a 2 wheeler with a jeep motor in it.

2. rivguy

rivguy

In Calif. a three wheeled vehicle is considered a motorcycle. Doesn't matter what kind of engine it has. Roth's v-8 powered trikes were motorcycles, so were his V-W powered ones. A four wheeled vehicle would be an automobile, no matter what the engine. There are a lot of trike conversions currently on the market for Goldwings Harley is even offering a Factory authorized model. Of course these are obviously motorcycles and from what I've read they are not the most stable thing going around corners.Harley bought the rights to a three wheeled vehicle, two wheels in front, similar to a Morgan. My brother in law built a three wheeler that has a solid axle in front with an Yamaha XS11 grafted on the back. The front end looks like a Mode T and the back end looks kinda spacey. I describe it as the Absent minded Professor meets Alien. I wouldn't think that it would be any harder to register a four wheeled cyclecar than a Kit T bucket. I have seen a licensed Legend car that is street driven.

3. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

For Ct. guys thinking of building one of these I have the latest printing of the "Composite vehicle" booklet and it covers motorcycles in it they satate that "No motorcycle shall have a body which encloses the operator" I have collected enough stuff to assemble a 3 wheeler like JAP or Morgan but now I'm not so sure I could get it registered here.Ct. isa pulling a lot of stuff lately with "composite Vehicle" registrations to the point of recalling already registered vehicles for re inspections!

4. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I saw a cool messerschmidt trike car(spelling?) on sunday, I'll put up pics when I get home...

5. retromotors

retromotors

For the Bavarian flat twin lovers, a Brooklands kit car.
    1000cc BMW mated to a Citroen 2CV transaxle.:eek:

Attached Files:

Egor and brayton engine guy like this.
  6. 1lowtoy

1lowtoy
    BANNED

Hmm, giving me ideas about a cushman lsd axel and a 440cc maico engine i have lying around

7. Lightning

Lightning
    from N. Nevada

Years ago, my dad bought a British made Berkeley which ran a 322 cc British M/C engine in it but later went with the 700 cc modification - - Just look how small these cars are compared to the people standing next to it.

Attached Files:

8. lakesmod

lakesmod

Any more pictures and information on this one?

Fred

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

It looks as if I’m not the only one who was thinking about cyclecars over lunch.

Okay, I’ve devised my ideal, HAMB-friendly cyclecar. I moved to farm country, and I keep seeing these old, small tractors with streamlined sheetmetal and remembering this ever-popular illustration:

[​IMG]

So here’s my concept:
    • Knucklehead V-twin, mounted sideways in a tube chassis
    • 5-speed manual from 4-cylinder S10 (modern equivalent to a V8/60 transmission)
    • 1940s Ford truck differential (open-drive banjo on parallel leaf springs)
    • boat-tail speedster body with Oliver tractor front grille and cycle fenders
    • narrow I-beam front axle; parallel leaf springs
    • small dash with speedometer and idiot lights
    • race car, four-spoke steering wheel
    • ‘35 Ford-type wire spoke wheels; 5.50-16 bias ply tires

If you were hellbent on the Morgan-style three wheeler concept, scratch the rear banjo and adapt the S10 transmission to a modern bike’s shaft-drive rear wheel with some tricky machine work.

Paint it bright orange or yellow so you don’t get squished while out on the road, and good luck titling it!

-Dave

10. Depends on CT's definition of "encloses". My definition says a Morgan style trike doesn't enclose or surround the driver since they were all roadsters. The remainder of the driver was covered by a rudimentary soft top and side curtains which were not part of the body. They were removed and stored behind the cockpit. BTW, no self respecting "Moggie" driver ever puts up the top

11. fordfan289

fordfan289
    from indiana

Has anyone seen the old one jaylenos web site Model A front indian rear awsome body real cool.

12. mervk

mervk
    from Australia

What a great thread I have fallen into. Love the post on the Red Bug on page 4. I am lucky enough to own one of these cars. I also own a great little Twombly cyclecar, as well as a UK built Merlin cyclecar. Pictures are on my website at www.kroll.id.au

I have been unable to locate another Merlin anywhere, and have a letter from the Veteran Car Club of UK saying they have none registered. I am sure there has to be another out there somewhere though. If anyone knows of a Merlin, with twin cylinder air cooled Precision motor, I would like to hear from you. It would look different to mine, as my body is not original. In fact, I have not been sucessful in finding out what they should look like.

Enjoy my site.

Cheers

Mervk

13. randomray

randomray

I checked your cycle cars out , Very Nice Mervk ! I'm being greedy here ,I wish you had a little more detail in the photos . I really like your motorcycles too .

14. markus2

markus2
    from belgium

15. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

How did i miss this thread ? :confused:

anyway, Here's a Carden cyclecar

[​IMG]

<O:p</O:p

[​IMG]

</O:p
    [​IMG]

Egor and brayton engine guy like this.
  16. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

More info on the Carden.

7/8 hp, 707 cc two-stroke horizontal twin-cylinder engine in unit with two-speed transaxle, independent coil spring sliding pillar front suspension, coil spring rear suspension, two-wheel mechanical brakes. Wheelbase: 75"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

John Valentine Carden was a devotee of the ultra-light – aircraft as well as cars. His first cyclecars were built in 1913 in his own workshops in Farnham, Surrey. The first car offered for sale debuted at Brooklands that April, a wood-bodied, single-seat monocoque powered by a J.A.P. 481 cc single-cylinder engine. It lapped the track at more than 46 mph, hardly hindered by its single-speed gearing. Carden Engineering Co., Ltd. was formed in 1914 and took over larger premises in Teddington, Middlesex.

Carden sold his design to Ward & Avery, Ltd., who took over the Teddington factory. After World War I, the car’s name was changed to A.V., and several hundred were built through 1922. Carden, meanwhile, had designed another cyclecar which he sold to Edward Tamplin, who took up manufacture under his own name.

Then, at new premises at Ascot, Carden brought out yet another design, a side-by-side two-seater with a rear-mounted horizontal two-stroke engine. This was mounted in unit with a two-speed gearbox and rear axle. The suspension used what were described as “helical springs,” mildly tapered coils which in front were used in a sliding pillar independent design reminiscent of Morgan and Lancia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brayton engine guy likes this.
  17. noboD

noboD

Model A Keith, any idea of weight? Looks to be made entirely of wood.

18. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

[​IMG]

IMP cyclecar, 1913-1914, Auburn, IN There is one in the ACD Museum that ran about 15 years ago. None of the cool panel trucks are known to have survived. The factory building still exists.

19. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

great idea!! shouldn't have any problems titling it, it's got a motorcycle engine, I would think in places like Cali wouldn't it be exempt because of what powers it? Those guys got the real bumper cars street legal.

20. skull

skull

l have two;

1. 1931 chevy exrace car 5/8 scale (dwarf car) street legal with a 1989 1100cc V-twin honda motor, custom made transfer box so we could hook up a chain drive and still use the driveshaft to turn the 8" long on one side and 14'' other side offset rear end out of a toyota truck.

2. 1960 coushman truckster with 750 honda magna 750cc motor.

search cushman truckster and there is a man who puts 1100cc to 1500cc goldwing motors in these types of 3-wheelers.

have just the nose pic of a street legal legend exrace car in texas.

later

Attached Files:

21. swi66

swi66

1913 Scripps-Booth Bi-Autogo

[​IMG]

<IFRAME style="DISPLAY: none" src=""></IFRAME><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>var ad = adFactory.getAd(88, 31);ad.setPosition(8)ad.write();</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/3475.tim/biztech/special/worst_cars;aid=1658545_1657686_1657674;pid=1658545;ch=specials;sch=the%2050%20worst%20cars%20of%20all%20time;ptype=content;ctype=article;sz=88x31;path=time;path=specials;path=2007;path=article;dcove=d;pos=8;pgurl=1;rhost=www.bing.com;tile=7;ord=116960726427?" ____yb="1"></SCRIPT><!-- Template Id = 4881 Template Name = HTML Blank Ad --><!-- ADID: 197805591 -->

<!-- Article Body Start -->A 3,200-lb. motorcycle with training wheels, a V8 engine and enough copper tubing to provide every hillbilly in the Ozarks with a still, the Scripps-Booth Bi-Autogo was the daft experiment of James Scripps-Booth, an heir of the Scripps publishing fortune and a self-taught — or untaught — auto engineer. The Bi-Autogo was essentially a two-wheeled vehicle, carrying its considerable heft on 37-in. wooden wheels. At slow speeds, the driver could lower small wheels on outriggers to stabilize the vehicle so it wouldn't plop over. This is not a case of the advantage of hindsight; this was obviously a crazy idea, even in 1913. The Bi-Autogo does enjoy the historical distinction of being the first V8-powered vehicle ever built in Detroit, so you could argue it is the beginning of an even greater folly.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1657686_1657674,00.html

Maybe technically, more a motorcycle, but with those outriggers........

But they built other cyclecars........
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=961 height=1084 cool gridx="16" showgridx usegridx gridy="16" showgridy usegridy><TBODY><TR height=48><TD height=48 vAlign=top width=480 colSpan=2 align=left content csheight="32" xpos="32">
    1914 Scripps-Booth Rocket Cyclecar
    </TD><TD height=400 rowSpan=2 width=448 colSpan=2></TD><TD height=48 width=1><SPACER width="1" type="block" height="48"></TD></TR><TR height=352><TD height=352 vAlign=top width=480 colSpan=2 align=left xpos="32">[​IMG]</TD><TD height=352 width=1><SPACER width="1" type="block" height="352"></TD></TR><TR height=667><TD height=667 width=35 colSpan=2></TD><TD height=667 vAlign=top width=480 colSpan=2 align=left content csheight="667" xpos="35">Weighing less than 700 pounds, featuring tandem seating, a wheelbase 100 inches or less, belt drive and a V-twin Spacke engine, the Rocket Cyclecar is representative of almost every characteristic that marked the short-lived fad called the cyclecar.

While many of the 200 plus manufacturers of cyclecars were simply riding the coattails of a fashion, James Scripps Booth’s creation was among the most reputable. Scripps Booth’s first attempt at auto design resulted in the one-of-a-kind Bi-Autogo, a 3,200-pound behemoth that failed to make it beyond the prototype stage. The Rocket followed immediately thereafter, and showed signs of being a fair bit more successful. Scripps Booth described his cyclecar as, “elemental cheap transportation for the workingman,” putting his intentions among the likes of Henry Ford with his Model T. But as the cost of full-sized autos fell significantly that year, and the tendency of the drive belt to slip in wet weather, 1914 was the only year Scripps Booth produced his Rocket.

Specifications: 10 horsepower, 35 cubic inch, Spacke V-twin air-cooled engine. Price New: $385. Wheelbase: 100 inches. Transmission: two-speed planetary with belt drive. Production: 400 units.

Connections: Compare to the Woods Mobilette and the Scripps Booth Bi-Autogo and Model C.

In 1914 the average automobile cost between $700 and $800, the Rocket cost $385.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- Template Id = 4881 Template Name = HTML Blank Ad --><!-- ADID: 197805598 -->

22. I'd like to own a 3 wheeled Morgan someday.
    I had an Isetta once. That was long before Urkle had one.

23. Cymro

Cymro

Any more details on this one please?

24. Cymro

Cymro

[​IMG]
    Peel Trident manufactured on th Isle of Man during the early 60's Rothesque? May well be O/T but micro cars were very popular in the UK during the 50's and 60's due to the comparativly high cost of fuel and the Zues Crisis. This link may be of interesthttp://microcarmuseum.com/info.html.

25. kookee

kookee

There are quite a few that are being built using Moto Guzzi motors. I had actually looked into it, as I have an old Guzzi Eldorado I am messing with. While considering it, I had concerns over the power to weight ratio. That is when I discovered this. http://www.kompressor-guzzi.de/

The inspiration: http://www.motoguzziguide.com/2009/03/cyclecar/#more-82

http://cycle-car.com/ - with harley davidson motors.

There is also a British(?) manufacturer that produces these with new VINs as new vehicles.

26. kookee

kookee

27. Cymro

Cymro

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hope these pics work

28. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

I shouldn't think it weighs any more than about 600lbs, I certainly wouldn't want to drive it in a stong wind !

29. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

What amazes me most is where things turn up and Why ...guess these were for sale but didn't see a sign or price...El Mirage in September

[​IMG]

30. retromotors

retromotors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damn ... look at all the chains ....!!!
    Bet this puppy has a sound all its own, exhaust cracklin' and chains a-singin'. :eek:

Off topic for HAMB, but relevant to this thread:
    Anyone who has ever dealt much with British machinery (particularly motorcycles) owes themselves a visit to the Hurley-Pugh Owners site ... its a riot!
    http://www.hurley-pugh.co.uk/hpechome.html

For those who suffer from ADD, or not interested in a long read, here's a teaser on adjusting the Hurley-Pugh magneto .... hilarious! :D
    http://www.hurley-pugh.co.uk/pughospark.html

Stueeee and brayton engine guy like this.