Register now to get rid of these ads!

GLASSPACKS, the anti-Flowmaster: which flow/sound better

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Knoxville, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Knoxville

Knoxville

All you guys running glasspacks, young and old:
    Which brand's your favorite?
    Which brand FLOWS better?
    Which brand SOUNDS better?

I'm tryin to decide what kind to put on my '55 with a 429, pipes are gonna come out before the rear wheel.

2. jchav62

jchav62

I'm running Cherry Bombs on my '62. I love the sound....

3. SMITHY'S all the way! the original Hot Rod muffler

4. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

i have 17" long brockmans on mine and it sounds great...but they are steel packs.........................john

5. Knoxville

Knoxville

YEah, cherry bombs and smithys, the two most popular in my book.
    What about Thrush Magnums......purple hornies.....
    I think Cherry bombs are supposed to flow the best....

6. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Local shop put "Jones" glass packs on my Stude, never heard of them. A little "cackly" at first but once they got burned out the remind me a lot of the old Walker Continetals aka Blue Swingers. I was heart broken when I found out they quit making thoem. Nice deep, mellow tone on my little 289.

7. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

Blue Streaks for me and my Chevy....but Smittys on the Buick.....depends on what attitude you want for your ride

8. Defisch

Defisch
    from Hudson FL.

Cherry Bombs on my flatty they sound good and there cheap.

9. troy5118

troy5118
    from Haven Ks

x 2!

10. mopar210

mopar210

ive run lots of different pipes and mufflers , but im my opinion , nothing has the sound , tone and perfect pitch that a flowmaster has . i had 3" w/flowmaster 40's on a 340 dart , its sound and tone was remarkable. my brother has them on a big block dart and the sound again is unmistakeable . i can tell the sound from a distance , much the same as a well piped harley is all by itself in tone and pitch , just my 2 cents.

11. Knoxville

Knoxville

Not tryin to knock anyone, but I'm so SICK of flowmasters....people will put em on anything, just that typical stock V8 with flowmaster sound has gotten REALLY OLD.
    I'm sure they flow better than most, but I'd put a set of turbo mufflers on somethin and give up that 5-10 HP anyday.

12. CHERRYBOMBS !!! Small hole Cackle---- Big hole Throaty !!!! Kinda like a Chic I knew back in high school !! >>>>.

Clay Belt likes this.
  13. Another vote for Smithy's - all the way.

14. Squablow

Squablow

My '55 has Cherry Bombs on it, mostly because that's what the parts store had in stock when the exhaust went on. They do sound really nice, I don't expect them to last forever but they're cheap enough if I have to replace them.

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The original Thrush mufflers were my favorite. Had a tone all their own and looked kool...for a short time anyways. They sound the absolute best with a balance tube ahead of the mufflers. I never cared for the "rat-a-tat-tat" without the balancer.

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my 49 chevy came with 1 3/4" pipe and dual glasspacks with a 350. sounded like a six cylinder so I got rid of that. 2 1/4 with flowmasters

I like glasspacks on 4 bangers. had one on my little Datsun pickup

17. teddyp

teddyp

brockman mellow tone,s on hot rod and customs ,,cherry bombs on gasser,flowmasters on street machines just mt 2 cents

18. 1beatnik

1beatnik
    from indiana

Cant beat a set of Cherry Bombs for the money, and they last a looong time before rustin out.

19. I agree,,,I have had more tickets running glass packs,,smittys,thrush and cherry bombs,,,flow masters for me. HRP

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Lots of competition out there for your dollars. Your big block will not sound the same as someone with a small block. Flowmaster tin can over used, but their Delta series has a nice sound. Running one pipe out each side never sounds as good as two near each other. Even with a bagged ride it is posssible to get them close if you are creative.
    Post a pic of your '55. Check out coffinmufflers.com

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  21. Dandingo

Dandingo

I did a lot of research before buying mine as well and finally went with Brockman Mellowtones. That guy is great and he worked with me to get exactly what I needed. The price couldn't be beat, either! Here's a few videos of it on mine with a 350. It dumps just before the rear end as well...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/avtCA1QoLjU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/avtCA1QoLjU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p6Uk8ahaoyg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p6Uk8ahaoyg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

22. shainerman

shainerman

Cherrybombs for me, since day one. 10 bucks at a local parts store, no way youre beating that.

23. Had cherry bomb but went to flowmaster after the neighbors started getting pissed and complaining. You gotta live somewhere.

24. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

smithy's are nice and sound good too. but if you're after performance than flowmaster is hard to beat. super 40's sound and work great.

25. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

I agree with some of the others, the Flowmaster sound just reminds me of another Dodge Ram truck coming down the road.My favorite is the Dynomax turbo tube, which is now called a "powerstick" and made by somebody else. Do search on those. Better than glasspacks with my experiences.

26. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Brockman Mellowtones...on ALL my leadsleds!

27. full house Mouse

full house Mouse

Well mine are great I went to muffler fabricator here in Thailand and he did the headers mufflers in stainless for 20,000 baht. That was about $500 USD at the time. But not to much glass in them pretty much straight through thus very loud on long trips to other countries you arrive deaf unless you have some thing to put in you ears.

[​IMG]

28. Mopar34

Mopar34

Smithy's. Got them on both of my cars. The bigger the engine, the sweeter the sound.:cool::D

29. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

I've found that the key to gettin' the ragged, raspy sound out of glasspaks is to run the longest 'pak I can fit on the vehicle with an "X" pipe before 'em. 36 inchers on my 390 Ford pickup daily driver sounded pretty good to me and didn't upset the neighbors. If you get the 'paks with louvers in 'em rather than round holes punched in the inner pipe, take a piece of pipe and knock out the round plate diffuser in the middle of 'em and install the 'paks with the louver openings facing the motor. Puttin' 'em on with the louver openings facing to the rear will make it sound "blatty" and you probably won't like it. I didn't. Also use the largest diameter 'pak you can (diameter of inner pipe).

30. Generic turbo mufflers, the Walker Turbo, and Smithy's all have great sounds to them. A crossover pipe is mandatory to make these sound their best!

To me, a Flowmaster sounds like every late-model Mustang around! You want to sound like a 1996 Mustang? Not me.