Register now to get rid of these ads!

Here's a 1st- I left a car show after 1 hour!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steves32, Apr 19, 2009.

1. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I go to the Cinco-de-mayo car show in omaha every year, I'm not sure if they have cars there or not ,But you ought to see the girls.Us old guys don't ever bring any eye candy to the shows, the import tuners do though.
    A hard bellied teenybopper ,dressed to show off, is just as nice to look at as a 32 Ford.
    Yep I said it!!

2. gunfire! and or the sound of sirens!!

3. BrokeDick

BrokeDick
    from Idaho

Do it the way I do it, local show drive my wife's car to there. Park it get out walk the show and if something catches my eye I'll stop talk to the guy then keep walking. Takes about a hour then I'm back home in the garage working on something.

4. Weasel

Weasel

One of the remaining freedoms one has is the right to choose - whether to attend voluntarily or not. If you don't like it, you have the right to leave, as Steve chose to do - good for him. Rather than whine about it, or make a complete idiot of yourself by creating a spectacle and throwing a hissy fit - why not just leave? If you throw a tantrum/burnout, blast the pipes, screech the tires etc. you are not making a statement - you're just going waaaah - and advertising it.

I'd like to help you out - which way did you come in?

5. blackout

blackout

Steve your heart was in the right place, willing to go to the show for a worthy cause. I dont blame you a bit about being pissed about the wind and dirt blowing, your car is really nice, if it were mine I would protect it also. Screw the boombox shit. I would have left early too.

6. cheviac

cheviac
    from new jersey

My old lady and I go to some of the local shows to see friends but we park OUTSIDE the show area. They always say The show is over here. I built my cars to DRIVE not to sit and bullshit. I can't eat it if Iam hungry, I can't make love to it, but I CAN drive it, and thats what I do.

7. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

well the blasting sound from the beemer was over the top, thats rude to everyone else there.

8. tiger mark

tiger mark
    from burbank,il

[when did stuffed animals go from grandmas bedroom to custom car shows?[/QUOTE]
    I think its when they came out with the Logo " Put a Tiger in your Tank". or the GRRR with the GTO's.GRRR... Growl..Tiger... You get the point.

9. metal man

metal man

Sounds like a gold chainer asshole to me

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

my wife collects them so there's always one in the car, hey she helped a lot too, but nothing too crazy. she puts up with the shows and lets me work on the car without complaining, so i can humor her. :D she's been through a lot, so i try to make her happy

11. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

last summer i was at a local show, 3 donk style cars pulled in, so i got out of there. thats where i draw the line, when they start letting those clown cars in.

12. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Wind wasn't blowing wile we were waiting to get in, it started when we parked. I'm from the area (Upland) so I know wind. If it was howling when I pulled in, I would have left right away.

The Beemer was parlked straight across from the PT cruisers. Right next to the Highway patrol movie car.

I have no issues w/ imports or Pt's at an event- but when they blare their crap thumping sound & intrude on my space- that's different & will get a reaction from me- I don't care what kind of car it is.

The show wasn't my cup of tea but I came out to show a little support for diabetes. The wind was beyond bearable.

What was the topic again? I keep finding myself defending myself for going to a car show.

I like car shows! What the heck is wrong with that?

I like driving my car too- I did that yesterday.:rolleyes:

A car show beats the hell out of doing yard work on a 90 degree day.

I do find myself doing less & less shows though. I'm much more selective. About the only thing coming up that's even remotely apealing is a show in Placentia I was invited to.

Well- that & our club show that used to be in Monrovia. Good news though- it will be back at Monrovia in September & is being sponsored by Pep Boys & Mooneyes. That one attracts over 500 cars!

13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

where were the show organizers when they were blasting the music? there's no reason someone should have been making an ass out of themselves and disturbing other people. I'll even put up with the donks,not my cup of tea, as long as they aren't causing problems for others, takes all kinds, but no one has the right to make it a bad experience for others.

14. I go to shows to see my buddies and talk about some problem they may be having with their ride or health. When their judging shows I keep the hood and trunk lid down and when a judge shows up and tells me to open up car I tell him it don't get judged. Go bother someone else!

15. roddinron

roddinron

I rarely stay at any car show longer than an hour, I get bored easy I guess.

16. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Me too to most of what you said- or to meet other people I've never met to talk cars & shit. I do open my hood though & clean the car up. It's opened up for people to look at- I could give a crap about judging at a small local event.

Your car doesn't get judged? Is that 37 in your avitar behind rope stanchions at an indoor show? Give me a friggin break.:rolleyes:

I've seen plenty of HAMB'ers win an award & I've yet to see even one to say fuck off & keep the trophy. Yea- that's not why you are there but at the end of the day- everyone will take the kudos, along w/ the 5 buck plastic gawdy award.

17. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

I would think back then most of them drove their cars everywhere anyways,so a little dust and shit wouldn't have scared them,or at least that's what my granddaddy use to say

18. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

I keep my hood up at shows,just to show them it's a daily driven car that never gets trailered anywhere unless it's broken.

19. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Never won an award,never cared about winning one.I go to the shows,pay the entrance fee,and hang out so I can catch up with old neighbors and friends,shoot the shit,check out some cars and ladies and check out some vendors.It's also a good excuse for my club to get together and bring the cars out besides meetings.:D

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I would have left too..

21. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

tax deductions.............

22. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Only time I leave anything early is if there's some kind of trouble or if I have to go to work and my hours cut in to a shows time scheduling.One thing that does make me stray away from shows are these "Greaser" gangs.You know,the one's with the guys walking around in 95 degree California weather with black leather motorcycle jackets on,even though they never owned a bike and showed up in their mom's Honda.Usually have some "Club" name painted on the back of their jacket.We have them all over California,and it was great to see some of them getting arrested at Bo Huff in San Bernardino last year thanks to SMASH units.Hate when these idiots show up and ruin a good show with their tough guy antics.Good example of what I'm talking about is the fights at Hootenanny about 2 years ago I think.What a bunch of idiots those guys were.

23. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Most car shows bite, well the ones I have been to anyway. 3/4 of the cars are overdone and not driven. boring
    I have been to more shows where the parking lot is more interesting than what's inside.

24. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Edit- this thread really derailed so no need to say things that have already been said.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  25. Come out here for a three day run including a Saturday car show.

The annual Route 66 Fun Run.

A touch under 300 miles of driving if you do the whole thing.

The car show is pretty good and part of it's in a grass covered park with a huge Northern Steam Loco on display as well as two museums and a 50's diner.
    All in the immediate area.

May 1st to the 3rd.

Close to 500 cars entered last I checked.

I'm #247 this year and have been as high as #511.

Bout the only car show I do.

Gave up on most of them cuz the DJ's play music so loud that you can't hold much of a conversation 50-60 yards away....

26. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Seems lile I saw a couple of giant bling wheel type cars at the Round Up.
    I didn't pay much mind as to what they were 'cause I walk right by that kinda shit. So, how did they get in?

27. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Every once in a while I read a thread here on the HAMB that makes me think "Maybe I am not crazy afterall". This is one of those threads.

I got 4 cool cars, a Model T, a Model A, '69 Camaro and a '65 Chevy P/U. The (2) Ford Hot Rods I built from the ground up. I maybe do a walk in at an "event" once year and maybe there for an hour.

When I was a youngster me and the wife would do a walkin it at a car show or cruise in a couple times a month.

Buildin, wrenchin and drivin charges my battery nowadays not lookin at other peoples stuff.

Sounds like perhaps there are a few of you guys like that too?

28. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

now what color is your car for again? i forgot to look at your avatar :p

29. vertible59

vertible59

Mazooma1 you nailed it with one word..."EXPERTS".

30. Da' Bomb

Da' Bomb

What's a "donk"? Seriously, I've never heard the term