Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who cruised Van Nuys Bl in the 70's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Groucho, Sep 26, 2006.

1. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

DeLuca, as I understand, got a LONG sentence for Cocaine in Florida, Gasser was gonna find out info if he could so I could write him. Paul Curry? Nope. Me and him had a falling out before I left but can't remember why cause it was a life time ago. Yeah, Baher made me and my crew rich. Thanks for the memories my friend.

2. Lightning

Lightning
    from N. Nevada

Hey GOT'CHA, I was just on another forum, KB, and there was a question about getting plaques made and someone put up the address for plaquewerkz - - Went to it and looked up nostalgia plaques and the first one was Valley Undertakers San Fernando - - It's weird how names and things show up in groups at times - - -

3. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Got that right my friend, but dig, when I first went to the site it DIDN'T have my clubs plaque!!! Then I either left out Valley or added it and wah-la, there she was!! Thanks to Gene Loiselle, from the "TOWNSMEN", for the heads-up on that.

4. GOT'CHA

GOT'CHA
    BANNED

Anyone know how I can post motion pictures on this site, of my Anglia pulling the wheels time after time after.....well you get the drift. (No I'm not a drifter)(Then again)GOT'CHA!:cool:

5. elrobo818

elrobo818

Okay, Why don't we meet at Toluca Lake Bob's this Friday night, April 3rd?
    ElRobo,
    Miguel,
    Groucho,
    VNCruiser + 5:D

You guys that were there back in the day can tell those of us that weren't all about it!
    I'm not too familiar with the area, I'm sure someone has a suggestion for where to go from Bob's - I'm sure there'd be a few others there who would want come along - who's in?
    CraigR[/quote]

dude im down to start an ACTUAL CRUISE night thing once a month or so type deal.

6. where is everybody at?

7. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

Right here...I'm working on getting more people (hopefully)... I know a few interested parties...Set up a night in early summer and start it off....Talk to your friends & club members....Or like Elrobo, make it a weekly or monthly deal.....This ain't gonna happen overnight...But to do it right you need more than 10 guys....

8. Eryk

Eryk

Count me in.

9. If you're gonna organize something, I'd suggest you keep it on Wednesday. I think that was part of it's success. Unless you already said it's gonna be a Wednesday and I missed it. Flyers should be passed out at Bob's on Friday a ways in advance as well as the 2 cruise spots in the west valley

10. MCM

MCM

Me too, sounds fun...

11. x2

wednesday should be cool.

now who is going to decide what streach of van nuys to meet at????

12. I've gotten a lot of interest off the HAMB on this also, if someone wants to follow through on organizing something on a Wednesday night. We should meet at a few high profile(?) spots to generate some exposure(word of mouth) interest for future dates?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  13. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

I know Wednesday was the traditional night, however, we're not kids anymore and I don't know about you, but I get up Thursday at 5am to go to work. I think for the best turn out it should be on a Friday or Saturday....My idea at this point would be to meet at the market on Van Nuys & Burbank and head north....I also think some rules should be laid down to keep it cool....#1 being NO SQUIRRELS!!!!! Make sure your car is as legal as possible, no light to light shit, burnouts, etc....We used to throw those people out of the lot in "Race?" days...
    I also talked to a guy I work with who's in a F100 club in Whittier...Said he'll get his club up to the valley, but we have to return the favor and go down there and cruisse Whittier Blvd. This could get big if it is played right....You never know.....

14. elrobo818

elrobo818

i definately agree... i gotta be up at 5 thursday as well... if you guys can come up with the info, i can come up with the flyers... i think a saturday night would be good too... that way we can even spread the word on friday night at the cruise spots and talk some more people into joining.

15. Well, we're back to my original point. Wednesday seemed to "work" for many reasons. One of which might have been because there's other things going on on the weekends, and nothing on Wednesday. Maybe you can go straight to work from the Blvd:D. You guys sort it out. I know that I look forward to Fridays @ Bob's. It never fails to give me my "fix" for the week. As far as us not being kids any more? I think, that being said will prolly insure the "no squirrel" thing (which I agree on). I rememebr walking over to a squirrel and telling him he had to leave. He was welcome back the next week if he learned his lesson. But, for that night, he was gone. Hey, VN, what years were you at the street races and the Blvd? I remember the "Race?" thing that Gomms started. I was just coming around my self as that got started. Mark Shultz (from Race?) gave me the heads up to seeing my 1st race (Franks Willys and Bob's 70 Camaro @ Sep & Plummer) which I have a picture of in my office that Bob gave me a few yrs ago

16. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

I LIVED Van Nuys Blvd and the street races from '74-'77, and on and off until the early '80's......Gotcha sent me that picture too....I remember it hanging in his shop on Roscoe back when I was in high school ('76). I have it on the home page of my web site...Still have my "Race?" jacket too.....
    I still think a saturday would be better, but maybe we should do a poll....I know middle of the week just wouldn't work for me....

17. Tony Noto still has his jacket too. I never joined, nor was ever asked for that matter. But, I later became a Street Racer. Far more important to me, as I read about those guys when I was back east as a kid in the 60's. Well, if it's a Fri-Sat choice, Sat. for me. But a poll would be best. I'm getting a lot of interest on this on another board too. So............

18. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

I've goten interest outside of HAMB also....Ok guys.....here's the poll...What day works best for everyone and don't chime in all at once...
    Groucho- You ready to do Whittier too?

19. Whittier? One thing at a time. My vote-Wednesday. I know it doesn't fit into some people's schedules. But it's my vote. I'm sure Fridays are bad for some, and Saturdays bad for others. But, in all fairness, we need to see what the majority votes for for now.

20. About Weds, what time do you crash on that night to be at work the next morning? How far do you live from the Blvd

21. wednesday for me sounds good. there has always been a car thing going on wednesdays. weather it was street racing or cruising.

less cops patroling on weekdays

22. come on MAN what are you like 18 years old!

23. Gotcha, FYI, Harlen "Super Jew" is the machinist at Carquest Auto Parts in Newhall, CA. Saw him yesterday
    I recall you doing a mural on the tailgate of a coworkers F-100 when I worked at Vanowen Auto Body in North Hollywood in 74 or so.

24. elrobo818

elrobo818

ha! i kno i kno... im still young... but im way burned out from my job... fri. and sat. are my goin out days...

iono.. maybe i can hang with a wed. night...

but i'd prefer a sat...

either way... IM EFF'IN DOWN...

SO MAKE UP YER MINDS!:cool:

25. sonny3

sonny3
    from so cal

Hi boys .......all great memories but I bet some of you guys remember my 67 fastback mustang with a very healthy 390, midnight blue with two 1' strips down the middle of the car.... with AMF painted on the rear spoiler. I'm sure you remember AMF pulling away from you on chandler, river road, clybourn and many other places in the valley...don't get me wrong a few of you guys whipped my ass too........but boys where those the days or what.

26. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

Wednesday works best imo. Its only once a month and if we starting cruising Van Nuys Blvd again... I wouldnt mind being a little tired thursday morning.

27. evil ed

evil ed
    from S.F.V.

I was out there in the 70's and 80's I had a blue metalflake 69 Grand Prix that Walt Prey painted and a 49 Merc that was black with yellow flames that Walt striped. In the early 70's I hung out at the Arbys near Sherman Way with the bikers.
    That Merc was fast with the 63 corvette engine with the 3 speed tranny with Zepher gears !

28. elrobo818

elrobo818

The Van Nuys Cruising Association announced today that back by popular demand, cruising will return to Van Nuys Blvd on Wednesday, June 10th....8:00 pm and on......
    They are asking no drugs and alcohol, no light to light runs, burn-outs, open headers or illegal activities in an effort to keep things cool with law enforcement.
    Tell all of your friends and club members....
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

29. <HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Man... I can hear it now......

"All units , All units, A tack alert has been issued for Van Nuys Division.
    All units in the area & 9L90..9L90... respond to report of cruisers at Van Nuys & Victory....
    Close down all Northbound & Southbound traffic on Van Nuys... Riot squad & Airship in route.
    Incident # 537, RD 9-37, Handle code 3 "

http://65.44.220.102:8010/lapd.m3u :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrdbgYYBnvI&feature=related
    <!-- / message -->

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  30. Retrorod

Retrorod

Ha!! Not with all us old farts showing up!! Even though my current ride is ALOT quicker than my 1965-1968 ride was........I'm alot more conservative now (should read "not as crazy as I used to be").