Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model a, channel or 32 rails?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemi guy 53, Apr 17, 2009.

1. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

Hey guys i got my model a body and i am getting a plan together for building her, just looking for some guideance on the frame. I like both looks and iam looking for pros and cons both ways. Anyway help if you can , thanks

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

3. Ghost28

Ghost28

That is a personal preference question. it really depends what direction your gonna go. Rather channeled or not, fenderless or not. My personal choice would be a 1 inch channel with a 32 frame and no fenders. Just so the tires follow the shape or curve of the rear body or fender mounting point. What ever you do keep it cool...ghost

4. -Brent-

-Brent-

As a ColoRODo guy you must seek out Vaphead!!! He can set you up with either frame. I'm partial to the looks of an A on 32 rails but channeled cars can be fun too. Is it a coupe, tudor, or what?

5. One more vote for deuce rails!!!!

6. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Man, Ive got a A coupe and am torn between the two.

7. What Ghost said, a slight channel on the Deuce rails, is a killer look.

8. I also have a 30 coupe and I'm dancing the fence on which frame to use. I'm searching for that certain look and stance. I'm talking with vaphead and I'm sure we will come up with an answer >>>>.

9. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

Funny thing, i have talked to vaphead in fact he lives about two blocks from me, small world, anyway its a COUPE and iam not sure if i want to buy one of his double z,d frames and channel it or get a set of american stamping 32 rails and do it myself. by the way vaphead is way cool and his stuff is top notch. has anyone had any experiance with american stamping rails? thats what iam looking at right now, vapheads double z,d frame vs. american stampings 32 rails. Input????????

10. rick finch

rick finch

'32 chassis with 1" channel.........hands down winner!!

11. -Brent-

-Brent-

Well, those are two very different looks. There's a lot of info here on American Stamping Rails.

Personally, I went with Ionia Hot Rod Shop's 32 perimeter frame. I really dig how they box the frames and the cross member. Vaphead has used some of their parts in past frame builds.

What's your plan for the body? Chop? Lotsa chop? None?

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

13. tobyjuarez

tobyjuarez

32,,, but I'm tall,,, I look stupid in a channeled roadster, and break my neck driving channeled coupes

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

No frame? You're not going to pull that off for very long Shooter! :D Or are you saying go stock?

15. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

Iam going to start with a 3 inch chop and see if that looks good if not more. Its easier to take more off than put some back on.

16. BISHOP

BISHOP

4" chop, 1" channel, on 32 rails.

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

That's pretty much where I'm heading. :)

18. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

I had to make that decision myself, when building my Model a hot rod. I was thinking of building a chopped, channeled coupe that sat so damn low, the roof line would be about waist-high (and I'm pretty damn short). I talked to a couple friends who posed the question: You ever sat in a car like that? I hadn't, but after I tried it, I changed my mind. In a chopped, channeled Model A coupe, you're sitting flat on the floor with your legs stretched out straight in front of you (really uncomfortable for anything more than about 2-3 minutes). Add a chopped top, and you've got a ride that looks great sitting still, but is a hassle to drive and get in and out of.

I ended up buying a Pete & Jake's 32 chassis, and building my car as a high-boy. The chassis was, admittedly, very expensive, but I'd do it again in a heart beat. It turned out great.......it's comfortable, the ergonomics are perfect, the de-bugging consisted only of removing 1 spring leaf from the front & the rear to get the right ride height where I wanted it, and mechanically, the car is on a par with professionally-built cars that cost as most as most people's houses.

Check out the pictures of my Model A in my profile. If you have any questions, feel free to e mail......or call me. Far better to kick it around and get ideas from others instead of making all the mistakes on your own.
    Craig

19. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

I too went with a 32 frame for my model A from Ionia Hot Rods. Hands down the best frames on the planet.

If anybody has not seen there work do a search you wont be disappointed

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  20. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i don't know, no frame would make it sit pretty low...;)

21. woody2

woody2

Yet another vote for the Deuce rails.:D

22. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

any pics of model a with a slight channel on 32 rails?dont see that much

23. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

32 I like the look of both ways also. Channeled is probably easier, If scratch building a frame. But i think 32 will get people's attention at shows, These cars have no room in them to begin with, Channeled id think your knees would be in your chest while driving. Thats just my opinion.I went with 32 rails I followed the body, Pinched the rails in the front by the grille shell area .to take out some of the gap. Thats my 29 model A on 32 rails.Still in progress .I'll change my avatar after this summer. I should have body work done and in primer.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  24. fatabone

fatabone

I think they look good both ways but if your a tall guy you may want the 32 rails. A six foot or over guy will be cramped in a chopped and channeled car. I'm not saying you wont be able to drive it but I prefer comfort for long hauls.

Attached Files:

25. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

How bought a 1 inch channel all around,i see a lot of A,s with a little up front at the cowl but not all around

26. Dan1955

Dan1955

Yea, get a hold of Vaphead at Riley Automotive. Which ever you decide he can help you out. Join the Alliance and take advantage of the discount. Besides all that he is a great guy to deal with. Oh yea I vote 32 frame.

27. legendrat72

legendrat72

well i have a question then if you take a 32 frame and put a model a roadster body on it should you move the frame closer together since the body is different or just run the normal 32 frame specs?

28. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Another Vote for the 32 frame ... one thing not already mentioned about the 32 frame is the longer wheelbase. A Deuce frame gives you another 2 and 1/2 inches of wheelbase. Most of which ends up from the firewall forward. Makes installing a BIG, OHV engine a lot easier and less firewall chopping.

[​IMG]

32 frame rails are taller than a Model A's ... so you have box up the frame a lot stronger and not have a bunch of STUFF hanging down ... and looking bad :)

29. cafekid

cafekid

very much agree makes them look killer

30. ltex old iron

ltex old iron
    BANNED

i have always channeled just enough to cover the frame...but im a poorboy and cant afford any 32 stuff...they look good both ways i would say...if your a taller guy dont channel it..if your not worried about it channel it..or 32 rails..i dont think it matters what you do it will look good