Register now to get rid of these ads!

NSRA 30 years old and older - Merged

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paintcan54, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I have one of those around somehwere too. Now THAT was a party
    and to this day the Springfield Police Dept. over reacts to any type of car event becuase of that show getting so out of control.

2. henryj429

henryj429

There's some truth in this. Take a look at the rice rocket stuff that's covered on TV. They have one hell of a lot more fun than anyone has at a big "street rod" event. Will the 30 year rule bring more energy to NSRA events? I'm not sure, but they could certainly use it.

I yearn for the good old days of Rod Runs when people drove their cars, NSRA had driving events and folks partied into the night without worring about loosing their power parking spot the next morning.

3. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Like most you, I don't particularly like the 30 year cut-off, BUT if you look at the model T and model A events they hardly exist. They have all died off. If they leave it pre 48 the numbers will keep on dwindling till when they won't be able to produce an event at all. Some won't care because they don't or wouldn't go anyway. But I like the Nats, I like being around 10,000 to 12,000 hot (street) rods. If they left it to me I would like to see it pre WWII. I just didn't like it when they didn't have running boards anymore, I don't know why because I would just take them off anyway. But they did'nt ask me and my event would be pretty small. I wouldn't let in ANY trailored cars. But go to a traditional car event and look at how many trailors are there, just as many as an NSRA or GoodGuy's event. All fiberglass cars would have to traditionally styled. It would probably get boring pretty quick. When I first started going ( 1970 Peoria) we were all young. I was 21. Now look around an event. All greyhairs, walkers, scooters and golf carts. Things change and we have to change with the times or face extinction. I don't know what my point is except that I am going to use the wait and see attitude.

4. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Well said. I agree 100%

5. 5window

5window

You've missed the main point. No one is arguing that there isn't well engineered craft going into the later cars-and I think Car Craft is a very well done mag for the later cars-they tell what they did and what it cost-Street Rodder only shows you high end projects done by pros. BUT
    this board and NSRA are by current definition about cars styled or built before 1949. If you change the rules,you've changed away from what we are interested in. Let in everyone and it's not the same thing.

6. Drive Em

Drive Em

Let em get this straight, some people are going to be mad about parking their brand new Brookville bodied "1932" "Ford" roadster powered by a brand new "traditionally disguised" ZZ4 Chevy crate motor sitting in a brand new "1932" "Ford" chassis next to a "real" Detroit made 1978 Camaro?

7. moparted

moparted
    from upstate ny

8. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

No, I understand exactly what this debate should be about.

What I don't understand is the fear and ignorance displayed about the people who build late models. Arguing the car and arguing the people are 2 different things.

I've said it before and will say it again, there's some weird hoodlums on this board. Hopefully the added horsepower on the grounds won't rock their lawnchairs too hard.

BTW, the now-muscle-included goodguys shows I go to.....always have a few flat black piece of shit 4 door sixties cars. The kind that are all over this board posing as kustoms. Maybe this board isn't where the scared hoodlums should be either. Some scary person could start a piece of shit 4 door thread right next to their beautiful 32 ford thread. Oh my god! The world would end! The lawnchairs and reserved parking cone would vibrate with scary vibes! It might even foam their low carb beer! Worse yet, one of the scary people might look at them! Obviously they'd have no choice but to run for their lives, it's a natural hoodlum response.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  9. the-rodster

the-rodster

Yes, I'd rather see a "new" 32 at a NSRA show than a "Detroit made 1978 Camaro".

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but Camaro's were never made in Detroit.

Rich

10. 5window

5window

I like lawnchairs-but I really prefer the old fashioned aluminum kind with the woven webbing. Not the newer Detroit kind where they all fold up and have cup holders for the light beer.

11. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

No offense intended to your lawnchair, my gripe is really with low carb beer :)

Rant over

An interesting aside......

20 feet from the car in my avatar is the lowest performance corvette in the world. If there ever was a grandma stingray, this is it. Guess which car most visitors flock to :rolleyes:

It's hard to disagree with what the promoters are predicting

12. the-rodster

the-rodster

Diet Beer.

It's like sex, in a canoe.

Fucking near water!

Rich

13. NSRA should change to NLCA, the national lawn chair association. Too much sittin' not enougt drivin'. Usually go to York as a spectator for one day. Don't want to spend the weekend on a lawn chair, thus the success of the Jalopy Showdown and Drags..........

14. KQQLCAT

KQQLCAT
    from Hudson, WI

If it ain't broke don't fix it! Bad as Car Craft Nationals in St. Paul, MN it's a daily driver show now. Thank God for MSRA Back to the 5o's. 64 and older.
    Pat

15. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing!!!!--------Truly amazing!!!!!!!

16. The general response of this thread is a pretty sad. Is this what the HAMB has become, a group of elitist snobs who are too good to look at anything past 1964? You're no better than the supposed street rodders who are offended by being in the same parking lot with some of those there rat rods. Pathetic in my humble opinion. So what if more get thru the gate to keep an event alive, walk past them if you're not interested and seek out what you find cool.

17. Starting to look like the "Navy on one side and the Army on the other side"

18. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

NSRA == No Street Rods Available

19. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

I want to hear more about MSRA's Back to the Fifties...Is it worth the drive from florida???

Charles

20. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

I can't tell you if its worth the drive from Florida but it is a great show. I've gone for approx. 14 yrs in a row. Last year 11,000 plus cars, 3 days, everything from restored to rat rod. Bunch of cars usually come from Canada (nice stuff). Cars from all over.

21. HotRod33

HotRod33

I have went to the nationals once, had a good time but I won't waste my time going again.... so let them do what they want......

22. Good point. Why wait? Let 'em know how we all feel about THIS year.:eek:

23. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Yes and he's won "Dickhead Of The Year" every year since. I saw through him many moons ago. Gold Chains 4 ever

24. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

In 2002 we drove our '48 Chevy about 1300 miles (one way) from Alberta Canada. Worth the drive? HELL YA!!! Back to the Fifties is an incredible event.

25. Paul2748

Paul2748

I guess its not only the banks that got greedy

26. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

How many guys on here have driven there car at least 500 miles one way to go to one of these shows.
    Not a spectator,not ridin with someone, I'm talkin about your own ride .
    if you haven't done this why Bitch.
    I haven't seen anyone from my area at a show that went more than 20 miles and they piss and moan about how rough the roads are and haven't been back . Or there scared to drive that far with there heap.
    If you don't go there will be others that will go.
    Just make sure you don't give your room away at York because you won't get another.

27. metal man

metal man

I , for one have driven my '40 over 500 miles one way many , many times . So many in fact , It's on it's second rebuilt tranny and is due to have the engine overhauled again . Speedo didn't work for years , but has about 200,000 miles on it . I don't feel that I'm too good to look at later cars , but NSRA shows , as lame as they may be in some ways , have been the only ones pre 49 for many years . Hate to see them change as it was kind of nice to go somewhere and not have to walk past a bunch of Camaros and shit to see the kinds of cars I prefer .
    Now that I think about it , we are being pretty whiny ; they are just car shows after all . How important can it really be? :confused:

28. rick finch

rick finch

It's a business..........get over it. Don't like the changes...don't go!

29. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

guess all the nsra loudmouths have died off - pre48 rule means low box office
    empty parking spots

30. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Surprised it took this long for the NSRA to make the change to Goodguys theme. NSRA is a business same as Goodguys.

I dig all cars, but in my old school eye, pre 49 cars are the true street rods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.