Register now to get rid of these ads!

JB Weld, what crazything have you done with it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

metals yes..like gold, titanium,cobalt,nikel, and silver..but not chemicals like
    Aromatic Hydrocarbons
    Aminophenols
    Barium Sulfide

not to mention you dont know of the concentrations of what chemicals and are not qualified dental tech..
    not to mention the metals they put in your mouth are sterilized..and are made to go in your mouth..
    I dont believe I read anywhere on the back of a tube of JB weld where it says its ok to use in someones mouth..especially a childs...what if they swallowed it?
    theres enough genetically fucked up people in this world..why add to it?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  2. GuyW

GuyW

...copper, cadmium, aluminum, mercury...

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

well im not a dentist..so all I can go on is what ive been told..
    but I do know my dentist doesnt use JB weld..

but if it works for you..thats great..
    if you need a tooth pulled..I just got a new pair of needle nose vice grips Ive been dieing to try out:D

no anistetic tho..that would take all the fun out of it:eek:

4. 1beatnik

1beatnik
    from indiana

Used it once to patch a leakin gas tank. Drove the truck for 3 more years without a problem.

5. My dad once used it to glue teeth back into his partial after they came loose. He loves JB Weld and uses it for everything. 3 things he could not live without - JB Weld, DSMO (for any aches or pains) and WD-40 (not the new shit on the counter, when they removed propane from the ingredients he went and bought every can he could find and ened up with around 4 dozen cans of the stuff).

6. I got some Gorilla Super Glue. Shit is fantastic ... just put the mirror back on my Navigator with it. Dries in seconds so be sure the part is where you want it. Used JB Weld to patch the water tank in my travel trailer. No leaks.

7. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

My older sister's first husband told me his foot wound was super-glued by medics in the field in Viet Nam.The docs fixed it right in Japan later.

A cool fix on a hot rod-the owner bent a half dollar to cover an antenna hole and neatly JB'd it in place.Some chrome polish and the corresponding 50 cent piece doesn't look half bad?
    Everybody knows you can cut threads/tap JB Weld too?

8. RichG

RichG

"D.M.S.O. Mixed with LSD..."

Sorry, the song got stuck in my head :D

9. the duke

the duke

i use it when i run out of mustard for my hot dogs

10. budhaboy

budhaboy

I wouldnt ever recommend using regular super glue for tooth repair, but essentially,you're flat WRONG.

I work for the FDA, and have the NDA Files(New Drug Application) on Cyanoacrylate - the main ingredient in Super Glue - it was first introduced in the 60s as a field suture for battlefield medics.

Dermabond is produced by Johnson and Johnson, and is approved by the FDA for use as an emergency suture, and its main ingredient is Cyanoacrylate.
    In 2007, a study was presented at the American College of Emergency Physicians in Seattle, concerning the use of Dermabond on teeth as a temp fix in Emergency Rooms. The caustic enviroment of the mouth limits the bonding abilities of Dermabond to a few days, but thats usually long enough to be seen by a dentist to fix your mouth.

I'm quite sure I can provide you with links to the studys if need be.
    in fact here's a link just to start:
    http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0196064405021499

11. 2 things on my 52 buick

the tail pipe broke loose going over a rough R/R track
    the muffler clamp(which i had turned nuts up for ground clearance)poked a 5/16 hole in the gas tank.. i heard the scraping pulled over ..the pipe.dragging -clamp stuck into the tank ,, i managed to get the pipe/clamp out of the tank and the my nearly full tank shooting gas out like peeing stud race horse..luckily it was near the rear edge.. so i covered the hole with my finger and it nearly stops .. luckily a co worker driving by sees me and asks what going on i tell him to run to the auto parts store we worked at and get the jb weld ... he heads off ..
    now there i am on the side of the road the soles of my shoes deteriorating in the fuel puddle and the rest of it now a 4 inche wide wave heading down the gutter to a stop sign...
    yes the vision of some ass throwing a cig out at the intersection 40 feet away was freaking me out
    so about ten minute later my shoes just gooey my finger getting numb i get the jb weld and make a golf ball size plug one handed mixing on ground with a stick ....then held it for a few minutes with piece of plastic trash from the gutter so i would not be stuck on the tank .. it held no leaks until i sold the car ten years later

2 ...hold a metal patch 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 on the straight 8 intake heat riser area that was a cast piece when the cracked side of it fell off

12. Never thought about that...maybe thats why he loves it so much...DMSO is mainly used on horses, he gave it to me for a sore elbow once and I tasted corn for about an hour, yuk, but my elbow did feel better.

13. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

Bobcat steering controls... they were really loose and jerky. What I found was the the aluminum block that ataches to the valve in the pump had worn. so I filled the hole with job weld and slapped it one the shaft and tightened the bolt as hard as I could. Let it sit for 24 hours and 4 years and 3000~ hours and the steering is as tight as ever....

14. ChopperMark

ChopperMark
    from Aloha, OR

Aluminum spring seat on a coil-over shock cracked in half, JB welded it back together and added a steel washer to it for some strength, worked fine.

15. madjack

madjack

Grind out intake ports and reconture with JB. Mix up the regular type and use a heat gun on the putty and it will liquify then flow out smooth. Try it you can flow the stuff into all kinds of cracks and crevises using the heat gun blast to push the liquid around. Take the heat away and it sets up within a minute or two

16. When I couldn't find the right size splined adapter for my 10" Grant steering wheel, used it to fill in the voids.

[​IMG]

17. 1rustyhighcab

1rustyhighcab

I repaired a hole in the top of a piston in a 2.5 liter s10 with jb. it held long enough for the owner to trade it in at the dealership. I saw the truck on the road a few months later, not sure if it had been re-repaired

18. power58

power58

Used it to fill in the holes on an Idle air contoller plate so I could remote mount the IAC controller for an Electronic FI Project. Fixed the cracked oil pan on an Olds Aurora 32 valve V8 engine. The Yard had tossed the engine in the scrap alum bin, and cracked the Pan. I bought the engine from them and pulled the pan and put JB weld top and bottom. Works fine to this day. The engine was brand new and runs like a top. Cracked the trans pan mount flange by using too long of bolt. JB Welded it and drilled and tapped it out ,saved $1500 on a new trans. Talked to guys who rebuild hydrualic cylinders, they grind down the shafts and JB Weld "em
    and true them up and the cylinder is saved. Good Stuff Maynerd.

19. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Im a JB fan
    Have Used it to
    Put a chunk of deck back in a flathead
    Put a chunk of flathead block back after busting a water pump off
    Crack in a aluminum datson head
    Patch rust pin holes in sheet metal (back side)
    Hammer handle install
    Holes is fuel tanks

20. Greybeard

Greybeard

In Vietnam I learned about Devcon products for patching all sorts of radial aircraft engine and prop damage. It came in tubes for aluminum, steel and brass and cured hard enough to drill and tap and hold some decent torque. We also had cans and sticks of very tacky brown stuff called Gas-tite that would seal oil and fuel leaks just by pushing it into cracks and crevices - especially drippy push rod housings.

I have a crown that popped off about 5 years ago fishing in the Great Dismal. Glued it in with a speck of industrial grade superglue knowing my dentist would re-cement it. He tried for a half an hour to pry it free. Been there ever since. Still cavity-free.

21. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

It's an excellent material to use for fixing up cracked steering wheels... Seriously. Lays down nice and smooth and sands easily... Alot cheaper than paying a pro to do it (dunno if you've every priced having a steering wheel redone, but whoa! :eek:). Sure, mine didn't come out perfect, but I got impatient as it was the last thing standing between me and a driveable Galaxie. I'm probably gonna go back and redo it some weekend, but even with mine not-perfect it looks 100x better than the cracked up mess it used to be. Keep it away from 4 year olds after you mix some (aka, when you're fixing you steering wheel, wait til you're DONE to go take a piss)... Unless you want a HELLACIOUS mess...

22. MERRELL

MERRELL

me too,set my cap back on my molar..has not come off yet!!

23. superbinder

superbinder
    from topeka, ks

I had a forklift at work break a piston and the piston pin wore 4 grooves in the cylinder walls till they struck water.They gave me the forklift for scrap so i filled the grooves with JB weld and honed it , stuck in a used piston. 4.yrs later it still runs

24. HD74

HD74

Body filler on an oil tank before powder coating. Came out great.

25. nclady

nclady

Yep! It's true you can use JB stick for tooth fillings, etc. I googled that glue stick that Billy Mays was talking about on TV and found people saying that iit was the same thing as JB stick. So I bought the JB stick both in the dark grey and the white. I called the company to ask about using for tooth fillings. The secretary said "I cannot recommend it for that use but I can tell you that I have had many calls from people that have said they have fixed dentures, crowns, and fillings with this product. I can also tell you that it is totally organic and have had people call because a child has swallowed bits of it and the there is no poison alert issued for this product as it is not harmful. So yes, for over a year I have used the white JB stick to replace fillings that have fallen out...and also I formed a "flipper tooth" for a missing tooth (4th over from the front tooth) ...I soak in regular dental solution to clean and then pop it back in. I use one of those buffering emery boards to make it shine and people will guess that it is the tooth next to it that is the false tooth. When forming the tooth it will try to stick to your fingers so it is a lot of trial and error to get it just right. I form a little ball slightly larger that the hole of the missing tooth. I push the substance up in the hole trying to fit it on both sides and when I try to remove my fingers it often sticks to the fingers but once free from my fingers, I use the force of my gums and tongue to form the tooth. After a couple of months the thin roof of the mouth part will begin to break off and it will not stay up there so I have to remake it ever so often. I can chew the toughest steaks with this tooth with no bad effects.

26. Daddiojoe

Daddiojoe
    from Austin, TX

Yeah, now that's the kind of crazy I'm talkin' about.

27. InPrimer

InPrimer

Had headlight buckets 52 Stude, welded after they were severly cracked, sent them out to be "chromed", new spay on process.. waiting to see results been assured that JB will work fine hope it works. got more money tied up in those buckets than my wife's engagement ring

28. rusty48

rusty48

I've used it for gas tank holes and a hole in a power steering pump.

29. Zeke

Zeke

Used it to bed a Mauser 98 action instead off epoxy once worked ok.

30. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I used it to seal a crack in the transmission casing of my63 Fairlane 10 years ago. It's still holding ! It's great stuff ........