Register now to get rid of these ads!

Proud new 56 Poncho owner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56Ponchorelli, Apr 16, 2009.

1. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

Well today was my day. I was jerked around by the Plymouth owner b/c he didnt wanna cut off 200 bucks if I was bringing my tools, driving 4 different 45 minute trips and wasting maybe an hour on fixing the brake line so I didn't even go.

I found a 56 Pontiac 2 Door Post in Palmdale. Went and checked it out and the car was nice. Patina'd with a light skim of bondo (over solid metal..dont get it..it looks factory). All the chrome is intact and in decent condition. Dont know the engine but it's the factory StratoStreak v8 with a crane cam elec ignition. Starts up and runs like a beast. No stumble, no miss, no backfiring nothing. Drove it down the mountain it was in and back up. Followed by a 2 hour trip through Palmdale, Mojave, Tehachapi and back to Bako with absolutely no problems at all.

No interior is left except the back bench which is covered and the front was replaced with shitty, uncomfortable buckets. The entire dash is complete and everything except the speedo work. All windows look new and are intact. Even the trunk was 100% rust free. Replaced passenger floorboards. Look at the pictures I took.

All Im doing now until the 66 buick is gone is buying skirts and lowering the rear a bit.

Attached Files:

2. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Quite the starter kit you have there!:) Those racing seats make me grimace..not comfortable at all. Really like the tri-5 ponchos, they are drippin' chrome.:cool:

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

Now you need to change your name on here! Congratulations

4. Abomb

Abomb

Good score, finding a good tri 5 split bench maybe tough, but surely there's something out there that would be a close enough fit.

5. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Lucky B***ARD! My first car was a '56 Poncho. Man I loved that car. Good luck with yours. N.N.

6. Mac_55

Mac_55

Nice score!!! Love them old ponchos . Hey if you like the split front bench and want another one . Find one out of an 80's Monte carlo. I had one in my 55 chevy and it was almost identicle to the factory 55 bench . The flip and fold in the same way and fit great.

7. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Nice score - you done good!!!

8. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Really like the ribbons on the hood, always thought that was the extra touch!

9. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

Thanks for that tip. I despise these bucket seats. This is my 1st real classic. Love the chrome and the body is just beautiful.

10. mr.smith

mr.smith

that'll make a sweet custom, maybe a 3inch chop

11. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

1956 was the last year for the 'suspenders' on the hood.

All '56 Pontiacs had the 317-cube V8 (316.6") with a 3.9375" bore X 3.250" stroke.

Rated at 205 HP for the 2-barrel and 227 HP for the 4-barrel, both had 8.9:1 compression. Super-rare 10:1 compression 2X4-barrel engines were rated at 285 HP.

Cool car, nice score. :cool:

12. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

maybe make it a clone 317 2 by 4????

13. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

The 317 2X4 intakes are like hen's teeth.

Very pricey even if you can find someone who'll let one go.

14. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

You know where can I find an air cleaner? I dont like the sponge filter with the spectre tube. Only one I have seen on ebay is like 200 bucks. Can one be used off a different car same year?

15. 1LOWCHIEF

1LOWCHIEF

Nice score!

Quick question... looking at the pic of your dash it looks like the cig lighter is above the gas gauge and the ashtray is over your clock-delete? I was just curious because in my '55 it's reversed. I also noticed your missing half of your horn ring, just like I am (sigh...).

If you want, I have an original oil bath air filter assembly I'd let go for much less than $200 ebay bullshit. It's original to my '55, but I dont think there would be a huge difference that it couldnt work for yours?

16. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

Correct. The lighter is top of the gas and the ash tray is by the radio delete. Im not sure about the steering wheel. I haven't seen too many 56 interiors yet online. How much would you like for the air cleaner (pm me with details).

17. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Hey its another Poncho on the street. What else really needs to be said. Great Score Bro!

48 Poncho

18. signal_11

signal_11

Nice project, congrats! :cool:

19. A '56 I parted out a few years ago had some '60 Chevy bumper guards added as teeth on the stock grille bar. They fit it pretty good and they're cheap to buy - and it's a subtle enough change that it would make guys scratch their heads trying to figure out if it's factory or not.

If it's a 2bbl you might be able to run a later (57-up) air cleaner on it, they're plentiful and cheap.

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The speedo may have a bad cable. Unscrew it at the speedo and pull the cable to check it out.
    New ones are available from auto parts stores, lube 'em, slip it in and you may have indicated speed.

21. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

Great Car! Congratulations & best of luck with it. Love the chrome on the hood, (or is that stainless!?)

22. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nice looking car great score

23. Play400

Play400

Excellent find!!! And a 2 door sedan at that. :):):)

BTW My 55 CanIndian Pathfinder has the same interior set-up as 1LOWCHIEF's 55 so they must have change it in 56. Kind of silly to have the ashtray over you gauges.

24. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

25. poorboy

poorboy

Cool find! Congratulations

26. CheapCat

CheapCat
    from Illinois

Congratulations great car, just got one myself last Saturday enjoy!

27. Butch M

Butch M

cool car.....

28. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

Can anyone tell me what my outside mirrors are from? They are close to the accessory thermometer mirrors in shape but mine have a knob on top to swivel the mirror and they also move up and down on the arms.

29. CheapCat

CheapCat
    from Illinois

I do not think your mirrors are factory. Every 55/56 factory and dealer installed mirrors I have seen has been on the door by the vent window. Those most likely are some installed from another car or aftermarket. I know not much help.

30. vertible59

vertible59

You should be proud...Nice car, just got it, and can ride while you work on it!