Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. okbob

okbob
    from Hanover pa

I'm not sure how to link to the sight,but I can tell you how to find it. If you go to Williams Grove Speedway message board (Racing in the Past).It has been a while since they were first posted,but if you scroll down to at least page 8 and look for History of Albuquerque Dirt Track racing 1947 to Present you will find a collection gathered by Joe Sherwood (Kingnitro on Smug Mug) that will take hours to look and enjoy. These are the cars and drivers that I grew up watching and racing against, I believe the car Buddy Taylor was driving at El Centro was from Phoenix and ran regularly at ManZanita. Van May

2. Drive Em

Drive Em

Just like Van May said in the post above, I merely saved the pictures from the Williams Grove Speedway forums. Is it spelled Capels, or Caples, because I have seen it spelled both ways, and I would like to spell it correctly.

3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Roy, one of the neatest things about working at IRP was that when John was running his car, just before every sprint car race I knew I was going to get a call from him asking me to either let him leave his truck inside or to save him a special parking spot. Terrific guy.

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

THREE DAYS till our OPEN HOUSE. Hope to see many of you there.

-----------------------------

I have some "Straight Line" racers coming in town from Tenn. at 2:00 Friday that have NEVER SEEN a sprint car race. So.. Were taking them to GAS CITY for the USAC opener ther Friday night. Then My Open house, Then Lawrenceburg USAC opener Sat. and if were up to it, Winchester on Sun for the USAC race there.

Maybe I'll see a few of you along the way. Holler my name real loud, I'm hard of hearing and usually not paying attention anyways! :D

Joshua Shaw

5. Buildy

Buildy

That Frontenac grille and radiator in post 5459 is very interesting. I looked at the Indy cars Frontenac photos I have starting in 1916 and can find no matches. The racers I have photos of have a straight Horizontal line at the top of the radiator grille opening instead of being curved like the one in the photo. Also,none of the photos I have have a Frontenac Emblem. The shells are plain.
    I believe Frontenac also introduced a passenger car at some point. Not sure if this is from a Frontenac racer or regular car. It looks like Mid teens style to early 20s at any rate.

I must say I don`t have any good photos of the Frontenac racers At Indy after 1919 although some Frontenacs ran at Indy as late as 1922.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  6. rustyrail

rustyrail

7. racer5c

racer5c

actually I was half asleep when I posted that the correct spelling is Capels

8. Boot

Boot

Direct Link to the Gallery:

http://kingnitro.smugmug.com/gallery/3205036_jzjPK

9. Wynn's #1, Thanks 4 info. Have there been pic's of the car since restored & where is the car today?? mlight9.

10. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

Bob McConnel has the car now.

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The first pic in post 5455 is the restored car as of 1995, owned by a Bob McConnell then and a Sonny Oulette did the restore.

12. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

13. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

I ran menny times against Henry Pens what a driver he was.It was sad that he did not get to race longer.

14. Joshua, see you in Gas City and Lawrenceburg....well I hope I see the one eyed tomato picker really.....
    HG :D

15. I am looking for a site that had about 8 photographers & each had different tracks. The ones I'm trying to identify are,,,
    Salem '63 red & white # 25
    Duquoin '63 red & white #97
    maroon #52
    cream & white # 34
    lt. yellow #75
    red # 11 (driver) ( all sprint cars.)

Eldora '64 white & blue #8 Racing Assoc. (driver)
    blue #5 Woodie Spl.
    gold #90 before & after wreck
    red # 27
    I have seen this site when I'm looking for something else & evidently I never put it on my Favorites. This memory thing is really getting bad. Thanks,
    mlight9.

16. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

18. racer5c

racer5c

Shawkeet is his dad

19. racer5c

racer5c

if anyone is interested in this sight
    http://kingnitro.smugmug.com/gallery/3205036_jzjPK

Milford Brock was the man who got John Capels into racing, John worked for him for free after school and on weekends and during the summer for one year in exchange for Milford Helping John build his first Flat head race engine, I think John was 15 at the time, John's father was killed in WWII storming the beach at Normandy, Brock kind of took John under his wing and became his mentor.

20. racer5c

racer5c

Also a little known fact the people who built and owned Speedway Park In Albq, were from New Castle Indiana originally

21. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

22. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

mlight9: Some of those photos are: Eldora 1964: 8, Bud Tinglestad, his own ex-Estes, ex-Wills car. 5, Bobby Marshman in Dick McDermott's ex-Rose Trucking, ex-Walt Beletsky car.

Salem, 1963, depending on date: 25, Fetter Aluminum, Cotton Farmer (Sep 29), Roy Robbins (May 5). 35, probably Bill O'Day's ex-Dick Van Emmerick Offy. 75, Chuck Booth, Bob Lockart Chevy (Aug. 4). No. 11, Harold Beck Offy, Bob Mathouser (Aug 4), Colby Scroggin (Mar. 5).

Sure would like to see those photos if you copied them. PM would be fine.

23. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Or they could be put right on here; im sure many of us would enjpy seeing them. Thank you very much!!

24. Buildy

Buildy

That photo of Mario with the Meskowski Sprint at Oswego is GREAT!

Anyone have the results from that race?

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Does anyone have a good color shot of it? New or old? I'm trying to find one for a customer who thinks he might want his sprinter "Light metallic Blue"

About a year ago, I went through the Mcdonald Collection with a group of about 25 - 30 guys. After the tour we were all eating, and everyone was talking about there favorite car in the collection. They were going down the line mentioning the Indy roadster's. It got to me and I said "Either the Watson/Foyt Sprinter or the Ted horn car" Well, I got some weird looks...
    "Waht do mean the Sprint car, which one was that, how can you not pick one of the Indy roadsters?" They said. :D A lot of them said they didn't even see that car!

The Ted Horn car is on another level.. Unreal!

But the Watson Sprinter is EXACTLY EVERYTHING I like in a sprint car.. It's perfect, Engine, body, wheels, Foyt Drove it, and it was FAST!

In the Dick Wallen DVD's it's a few shades darker than what it is now though!:D

JD

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

27. Question

Did Edmunds have a tag on the frame along with the tag on the dash?

28. AJ Watson would have had to go to school to learn how to make an ugly race car! His natural talent didn't have the will to allow it. Love all those Watson cars.

29. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Actually, the Dunseth #16 was a Bob Pankratz chassis that was built up by Paul Leffler. Leffler aquired the chassis when he bought the Cheesman Offy. The spare frame was part of the deal.
    When the original Chessman car was destroyed at New Bremen in 1964, Leffler built up the spare Cheesman frame, with a Chevy engine, as the Dunseth #16.

30. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bob Wendt in the Dunseth car- Winchester 1967. I think (?) this may have been his only USAC sprint car win.

Bud Tinglestad #9 testing the integrity of Dee Jones' nerf bar. Unsure of yr. or track, appears to be a high bank, probably 66/67.

Attached Files: