Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hamber's stranded in Gallup, New Mexico

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MercDeuceMan, Apr 14, 2009.

1. paintcan54

paintcan54

John, just got in from work seen that everything is looking good for the boys. I know you feel better now, it still a long ride, the wife and I wish them good luck and a safe trip home. If you need any help let me know. Thanks to all who spoke up to help, this place is awsome.
    Later Fred C.

2. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Been following the story .....wish those boys luck ......wouldn't hesitate to help if it were this way........keep my eye open for their progress.

3. I just wanna know what kinda miracle block sealer they used to repair a cracked block and head? This stuff must be good.

4. 7:45 UPDATE:

The boys are in Tucumcari for their fuel stop. Car is doing good. Next planned fuel stop is Adrian, Texas then on for an overnight stop in Amarillo if they can stay awake.

5. AmandaSue

AmandaSue
    from Indy

Hey everyone! This is my first post on here. I'm Dustin's sister, John's daughter...and RunaroundSue's daughter as well. :)

My mom sent me this link to read, in order to keep up on Dust's and Mike's progress. And I must say that I am AMAZED at the outpouring of support you people have given a couple of guys you don't even know. Not to get all girly on you...but it's touching.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU...our family and Mike's family sure do appreciate it. My mom and I were a little concerned about Dustin's trip from the beginning (ok, really just my mom!), but my dad kept saying that his kids know how to handle any adversity. And he's clearly right. But it obviously wouldn't have happened without the help of you fellow hot-rodders.

Ok, enough mushy stuff. Thanks again!!

Amanda

6. AmandaSue

AmandaSue
    from Indy

Hey Daddy! ;) Glad to hear the boys are doing well...for now.
    Love ya!

7. metalman

metalman

We decided the crack didn't make it all the way to the water jacket. The head gasket blew out between 2 cylinders and according to my motor guy it caused the combustion to travel back and forth, heating that area till both the block and head swelled and cracked. The cylinder walls were blued down about an inch where the gasket blew, that's preety hot. The water just made it to the cylinders threw the blown gasket. We did put in some block sealer for good measure, it's some really good stuff my motor guy has (sealed a seaping flatty with it) but I don't know what it's called. Comes in little blocks, almost looks like a cunk of charcoal. I could find out if you want.

8. Jeez, I didn't belive it when my dad told me Mikey had a hurt engine. Atleast, its a good excuse for him to go to a W like he was talking about, but it is a terrible way for it to happen. I hope these guys get back okay! I wish my car was in any shape to make it to VLV, speaking of which, I better go work on it.

Good luck Mike and Dustin! VIVA LA HAMB!

9. metalman

metalman

Hey Amanda, no need to get mushy, it's just what hot rodders do!

I want to point out the real thank you and credit goes out to Todd at Budlongs Motorsports here in Albuquerque. He dropped everything and left his busy shop, came over and looked. Made several trips back and forth, surfaced the head, provided the gaskets and helped put it all back together and running, didn't ask for a dime for all of it. Good people for sure.

On the other side of the coin, if I ever break down in Gallup I'll push my car before using the tow service ther the boys called. Completly raped them on the tow bill. $4 a mile!

10. AAA gold has 4 free 100 mile tows per year. Best $75 you'll ever spend.

11. Yeah, Dustin has it on his Desoto but it was Mikes car that needed it.

12. patman

patman

Do tell...I'd like to know what this stuff is and where to get it...

13. 11:00pm UPDATE:

Boys are in Groom,Texas getting fuel.

They decided that since it is a cool night and the possibility of uncertain weather moving in they would continue on to Shamrock, OK.
    They are in good spirits and Mike's RPU is doing great.
    Keeping our fingers crossed that all goes well.

14. OLD BINDER

OLD BINDER

Hey guys i just got on and heard about your troubles, if i can help call me . Ronnie 806-683-5046 amarillo p.s. I will be arounld untill about 11 am we are headed to the round-up.

15. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Don't I know. I blew a head gasket in Gallup about 10 years ago driving an Iveco truck. No parts avaiable west of the Mississippi. Took me two days to get a rental truck there from Ablequerque.

The next year, on the way to get that truck from a storage yard in Gallup, I blew up a NEW engine in a Ford truck, in Texas. Sold the Iveco for scrap, it didn't even pay for fixing the Ford.

Three years ago, broke the crank in my 65 Buick in Moriarity Nm. Towed that back with a Penske truck and trailer. the HAMB had me back up and running in less than 2 hours.

Two years ago I blew the head gasket in my AMC Concord in Eley NV. BenD hauled it back to Vegas for me, I installed a new engine there.

16. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

Great thread guys. I love the amount of help out there. Makes a guy proud to be a HAMB member.

17. BigChief

BigChief

AAA Plus R/V covers anything your driving even if its not yours. Dustin **must** have drove the car at least a little bit on the trip. ;)

Glad to hear they're making the trip.

-Bigchief.

18. metalman

metalman

??? Your point?
    John, glad to hear Mike's car is doing well. Todd (engine guy) called me tonight to see if I've heard a update, he'll be glad to hear they made it to Oklahoma.

19. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Talked to Dustin and Mike today. last i heard they were going to leave the RPU in New Mexico and have it shipped to Indy . Glad things are working out so far. I wish i could of been some sort of help but we are here and they are there.
    In a weird way i feel sort of responsible....i guess cause they went to our show in Vegas. Anyway, maybe them cruising in colder weather is a better thing.
    Please keep us all posted on this.
    Axle

20. gassedbaker

gassedbaker

all of you guys are awesome. metalman you are a hero to us back here in indy!!! cant thank you or your engine dude enough...i sure am glad i made it last year in the stude without a hitch like this but man the stories they are gonna have will last a lifetime

as mercdeuceman said before after this trip the boys will never be the same.....

21. Shamrock is in Texas, about 90 miles east of Amarillo. So where did the boys make it? New Mexico, Texas, or Oklahoma? I'm off to the round up......................glad things are working out.

22. sololobo

sololobo

Another amazing story of good people going out of the way to help our kind. The H.A.M.B. is the greatest thing that has ever happened to our sport. Thanks to all the heros involved in this rescue. It looks like the tow people were total land-locked pirates, what a shame! The heros that stepped up made up for them however. Viva La H.A.M.B.!! As always our darling Denise is right in the mix, god I love that dolly!! Super Stuff!!~Sololobo~

23. RunaroundSue

RunaroundSue
    from Indy

Axle....thanks for the concern, but don't feel that way. NOTHING would have held them back. Been planning this trip for a year and they were so stoked no matter what. Whatever the outcome is, they will have had the time of their lives. You can look at it that way....you helped them have that. :)

24. Dustin was so tired when he called late last night he might have thought he was in Oklahoma.
    After the long day he had on Tuesday (8am to 3am Wed morning) during which time they drove, pieced a generator together in Holbrook, drove until the motor issue east of Gallup. he had to follow the flatbed into AQB. When they got there, they hooked up with Metalman and tore the motor down and got to the hotel @ 3am.

He got back up @ 7:30 Wed morning and started calling around for another engine to install. That's when Metalman got his engine guru over and the determination was made that maybe the engine wasn't as terminal as once thought. With everyones help they were on the road late morning-early afternoon yesterday.

I kept in touch with them throughout the day and warned them of what appeared to be a possibility of inclement weather overnight. He and Mike drove all day stopping very late last night in Shamrock so they had about an 17 hour day for sure.

25. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Glad to hear they are doing better. Dustin's a smart kid, I knew he would figure it out.

Also, what type of insurance does Mike have? I know Grundy offers trip interruption compensation as part of their regular coverage, up to $600 I think. That could possibly cover the tow bill.

26. Goose

Goose

Seems to be a Road Rocket tradition to have to fix a motor when we drive to Vegas. I remember a few years ago putting a cam in Tom's Lincoln in the Autozone parking lot on Tropicana in Vegas. I think it was a couple of years after that when Tom had the stud that holds the air cleaner on his Lincoln come out and go through the motor. He had to pull the heads that time in Vegas again. Dustin and Mikey are just keeping up the tradition. Whether we broke something or not we always found a way to make sure we drove them home. A time honored tradition! Good job Dustin and Mikey for hanging in there.

27. Tom and I were just talking about that last night

28. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Don't I know. I blew a head gasket in Gallup about 10 years ago driving an Iveco truck. No parts avaiable west of the Mississippi. Took me two days to get a rental truck there from Ablequerque.

The next year, on the way to get that truck from a storage yard in Gallup, I blew up a NEW engine in a Ford truck, in Texas. Sold the Iveco for scrap, it didn't even pay for fixing the Ford.

Three years ago, broke the crank in my 65 Buick in Moriarity Nm. Towed that back with a Penske truck and trailer. the HAMB had me back up and running in less than 2 hours.

Two years ago I blew the head gasket in my AMC Concord in Eley NV. BenD hauled it back to Vegas for me, I installed a new engine there."

enjenjo, with your luck, I wouldn't waste any money on lottery tickets !!!! :D

29. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Cool, Does anyone know their where-abouts right now - 8:00 a.m. Thursday morning standard pacific time?

30. Goose

Goose

They are at the Texas/Ok state line right now.