Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

2. Yes it's got a cage, BUT it's a legit Edmunds midget. Doc Parsons sent me these pics finally, check out the mill he has in this thing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Drive Em

Drive Em

What engine is it? I am thinking SBF, or aluminum 215 Olds.

4. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

MLight9: Here's some on the Wergland car. As you probably know, it was converted from the Hoover Motor Express champ car by Diz Wilson. First raced by Wergland (Ed Terry driving) in URC in 1961. I asked John Wergland in 1961 if Diz had seen the painted car. He said that Diz had looked at it in Tampa with his hands on his hips, then said only, "Paint don't win races!"

These photos show it as No. 56 (and temporary 5) in 1961, as No. 4 in 1962, as white No. 4 (Chuck Yost driving) in 1963 after the Marvin crash, and as No. 14 (Bill Roynon driving) in 1964.

It was cream and red-orange in 1961, dark red with white numbers in 1962, and white with blue numbers in 1963-1964. Wergland replaced it with the ex-Estes-Wills-Tinglestad car in 1964, didn't run that one much, then went to a new Ron Ward car in 1965.

Wergland 56-Essex-2 Sep 61.jpg

Wergland 56-Essex-2 Sep 61 a.jpg

Terry-Wergland-Allentown 23 Sep 61.jpg

Wergland 56-Essex-1 Sep 62.jpg

Chuck Yost - Wergland 4 - 1963.jpg

Bill Roynon-Wergland 14-Rdg-29 Mar 64.jpg

5. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

The Midwest Vintage Oldtimers club will have 2 hours of track time on the 5/8 oval at Raceway Park in INDY on Sat. Apr. 18. Be there by 8 AM.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  6. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

OldBill-
    Great pics, thanks.
    Are you sure thats the same car, #4 with Yost driving, that Bobby Marvin crashed at Langhorne? The reason i ask is; me, and thousands of others, watched in shock as that car burned for the better part of two hours! Tingelstad tried many times to get his best friend out of the car, but there was just too much heat and fire. The most disgusting wreck ive ever seen!
    I know the first time i met Chuck Yost was at a URC race. He had a big white #85 ex-Champ Dirt Car he ran for a while with URC. I think he wrecked it on a Labor Day at Flemington.
    Nice pics again; keep them coming!

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

1966-USAC invades Oswego Speedway

#51-McCluskey, #1-Mario, #6-Don Branson (still flogging a Offy) Dunseth #16 (unsure who's up, possibly Al Smith)

The N.E./URC was well represented with the likes of #25- Dave Lundy, #28- Earl Halaquist, #45-Al Loquasto

Attached Files:

8. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Spike, I'm told it was the same car, but obviously with a new body. It definitely wasn't the big No. 85 sprinter which Chuck Yost owned and drove earlier.

I was at Langhorne that day, too. Very unpleasant to see, obviously, although all we could see from the stands were smoke and flames from the other side of the fence. I still have a very sad recollection of the car being taken away with a tarp covering the wreckage. And I was very surprised to see the rebuilt No. 4 show up about four months later, at Flemington, I think.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  9. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

mlight, I remember this car as being a #9 when Foyt drove it in 1962, gun barrel blue with a Traco in it. Cookie drove it as a #88 still gun barrel blue, had about 7 seconds that season but never won. He was let go after the season and came bach driving the Dusty Thacker car. It was called 'The Checkerd Flag Lounge, or Bar and Grill" Special. I think this bar was in NY. They towed with an old hearse. Which leads to an interesting story. Normally URC ended its season going down to North Carolina to run the fair at Raleigh. Towing back late at night they stopped for gas. Somebody was asleep in the back of the hearse. While the gas station guy was pumping the gas, the sleeper rolled over. The gas station guy got scared to death and ran! He didn't come back so the gas was free.

On the Werglund cars, I don't remember it being white until after the Langhorne accident in 1963, with Chuck Yost driving. Jimmy Maguire had driven it the season before as the red car that crashed with Marvin. Marvin got the seat that day, because USAC didn't think Maguire was ready for the big left turn. Maguire would move to the Venezia car for the rest of the season. I remember that the crash took a while to sort out, but not 2 hours, that was the Johnny Boyd fire in 1958. The first responders to the wreck were Tinglestad (involved in the wreck) and Bobby Courtwright.

10. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

That is a great looking car! Looks like a mini sprint car with that V8. I need a hood like that if anybody happens to have one.

11. racewrench87

racewrench87
    from ill

great little board you got here Roy ! just a quick note H.H.Linne would have been 88 today.

12. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Photos from URC show at Essex Junction in 1957. No roll bars or cages! No. 7 is Bert Brooks' Chevy, one of its first outings since switch from Merc to Chevy. The No. 1 is the Anfuso-Campbell-Cassidy T-bird, Lou Johnson driving that day. No. 21 Jerry Russo's Riley. No. 17 Ed Brown's Thunderbird. No. 52 Moffat McDowell, Ray Roberts driving. No. 9 Blair Chrysler, Earl Halaquist driving.

Does anyone know where the Brooks car went after the 1959 season, when Bert ran it in one USAC race? I heard rumors that Bert sold it to a stock car racer in Florida.

Brooks 7-Essex-31 Aug 57.jpg

Essex-31 Aug 57.jpg

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

ow-95

Attached Files:

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I see your from Colorado,we used to go up and run Rocky Mountain National Speedway with Roberts and those guys, that was just before I hung it up, well anyway about this midget I'am putting together, I bought it from Edmunds in 1979 chassis #366 well anyway it has a stroked 5/8 215 Buick (307 CI) that is scary fast, we ran IMCA most of the time. I won some races with the car and Bobby Brummett won with it ( Brummett is a lurker on this post sometime) anyway it was finally outlawed and put up to rest for 28 years, if I knew how to post some pictures I would or if I could e-mail someone the pictures and they could, hope to have it ready by April
    Thanks for asking
    "Doc" Parsons <!-- / message -->

15. 8889coupe

8889coupe

kinda off subject a little bit but im looking for a set of halibrand brake rotors front and rear along with the brake hats, i have the calipers and mounts but thats it. im trying to get the hart and jones sprinter up and going again, but i need to find the correct brakes first. any suggestions would be great or if anyone has anything please contact me asap. [​IMG]

16. racer5c

racer5c

not my board I just hang out here

17. Racer12

Racer12

Here is something I saw on another thread I thought might interest all of us on this thread, enjoy! Wish I could come across stuff like this.

Bob

Here's an odd one for you,.... I just ran across this radiator and radiator shell,
    its in pretty rough shape, but it is really cool, I want to pick it up to hang on the wall,..... but it's pricey

It looks like a one off hand built Frontenac Racing piece,. but I know nothing about Louis Chevrolet and his Frontenac Racing endeavors,.... so I am looking for someone to enlighten me. and any specific information about this particular grill.

Thanks guys. :)

(sorry about the crappy cell phone pictures :eek:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Mlight9,
    Regarding the Watson 9, Bruce Manwarren sold the car to Denny Zimmerman here in CT who later sold it to Gene Angelillo of NEMA midget fame. Johnny Kay drove it with some sucess.Gene sold it to Eddie Apple from the Carolinas.Ed struggled with the outdated car. The next I knew, it was found and restored.

19. I don't have a clue as to what he's got in there. I got confused at first trying to remember which side the pipes came out of , until I noticed they came out of BOTH sides!

[​IMG]

20. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

Brian it is a 215 aluminum Buick bored and stroked to 307 ci, race ready the car weighed 760

"Doc" Parsons
    Tulsa Ok

21. Sedan Man

Sedan Man

A friend just bought two Edmunds Midget's and is looking for info--- Car #9 came from a Mary Lou Zuber of Ft. Wayne, Ind. Owned by a Jim Zuber and driven by a Dave Edwards. Ran with USAC and others.--- Car #16 Sold new 8/16/72 to a Dennis DeVea,by Howard Linne in Chicago. DeVea ran one year with UARA. He apparently was the World of Outlaw Midgets Champion in 1986 and won the Bob Lockard Memorial race @ Grundy County Speedway in 8/1/92. The car came from a Gordon Fuhr of Lansing, Mi. Thanks

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  22. Nise
    OldBill
    Rootie
    Wynn's
    Thanks much for all the info & pic's, very much appreciated.
    mlight9.

23. Drive Em

Drive Em

Buddy Talyor from Albuquerque, Nm. at El Centro, Ca. in 1971:
    [​IMG]

24. Drive Em

Drive Em

Buddy Taylor (91) and Johnny Capels (6) at Albuquerque Speedway Park in 1967:
    [​IMG]

25. Drive Em

Drive Em

Bud Leonard at Albuquerque Speedway Park's opening day in 1967:
    [​IMG]

26. Drive Em

Drive Em

Johnny Capels-1967:
    [​IMG]

27. Drive Em

Drive Em

Hank Arnold, Albuquerque-1962:

[​IMG]

28. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

The Wild Child Used to watch him run at Manzainta.

29. racer5c

racer5c

Dave Edwards and his father were killed on the way home from a race at the Indianapolis Speedrome, they stopped to help a lady change a tire and were hit by a car, Edwards was not his real name so Zuber might have been his real last name not sure, one of the nicest guys I ever met. Dennis Devea was married to Henry Pens widow, is Danny Pens step father all 3 of em were good racers.

30. racer5c

racer5c

Hey Drivem, any way I could buy a copy of the pictures of my step Dad John Caples?

Thanks,

Roy Caruthers