Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many times have you seen your car in motion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Midnight 50, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

Short story:

Got pulled over for having my L-plate in the back window and the cop made me strap it to the bumper before I could leave. Called a buddy a road over to bring me some string and he shot a video when we left and went over to his place. It was the first time I had ever seen my car in motion.

I started thinking how nobody drives my car but me so if he hadn't done this I'd probably never saw what it looks like rolling down the road. I know most of us build our cars for "us" and don't let others touch them so I figured I'd ask if anyone else was the same way about not letting anyone drive our cars and if you'd ever seen your car rolling.

I know we have pictures of our cars, but it's nice to see them rolling, they look different in motion. Have you seen your car in motion?

....and since I asked this question, this is what the 50 looks like rolling:

[​IMG]

2. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

I had to pick up an International 4700 tractor for a shop I was working at, Had my girlfriend drive my 53 Bel Air back to the shop. Was kinda cool to see the old girl heading down the road (The car looked pretty good too!)

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when I bought my 49 sedan I had my buddy drive it up and down the street so I could see what it looked like. I forgot to tell him it had weak brakes because the brake pedal hit the exhaust (yes I fixed it soon after) and he rolled right through a stop sign.

usually the only time I see my cars on the road is when the new owner drives (or tows) them away.

4. shuweet61

shuweet61

Two times....wait.... Yea, two times

5. Scott F.

Scott F.

Sort of. Thanks to a recent tip from a friend on here, everytime i cruise through downtown with all the plate glass windows on each side I look at the reflection of me and my ride rolling. Pretty neat to check it out while you're driving it.
    Good lookin out destin.

Scott

6. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Once when my wife drove it,the car looked good but I was really nervous !!!!!

7. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Ive always wanted to see what my cars, bikes look like rollin down te road but never had the guts to let someone ride/drive them because they all have there quirks that I dont want people to learn while driving! But heres a picture ov me driving it that I really like. I just imagine what people think rolling up behind me?

[​IMG]

8. Rough Stock

Rough Stock
    from Austin, Tx

One time in San angelo I got sooo hammered at The Deadhorse (a friend of mine's bar) that I had to let her drive it home. I had to catch a ride in the suburban w/ her nephew. The thing did look cool rolling down the street.
    what wasn't cool was the hangover.

9. the only time i have seen my cars drive away from me is when i sell them
    tk

10. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

One of these days you're going to see one pull away and think "Aw hell, I should have kept that". :D

11. slefain

slefain
    from Atlanta

Once. The groomsman at my wedding took my '69 Olds back to the Bat-Cave as my wife and I departed on our honeymoon. I watched the old battleship trundle up the driveway and into the night. I could hear the pipes way longer than I thought. My neighbors must love the days I drive into work early.

My wife finally admitted that she doesn't want to drive any of my cars, she's afraid of crashing them. That and I think the idea of power nothing freaks her out.

12. I had a tow bar brake while flat towing my '54 Hudson gasser back in '66.
    Not a very good time to see your car in motion.

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I've let friends drive Big Olds so I've seen him drive down the road adn highways. I've also seen video footage that friends have taken. I'll see if I can drag some up and post.

I've done the downtown, plateglass, reflection looking too. :D

14. whatever

whatever

on my way home from work i decided to swing by my parents and caught my dad teaching my little brother 14 at the time how to properly pull a burnout or use the trans brake on the street with my caged bbc pro street malibu i have to say all i could do is laugh it did sound really good

15. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

you mean other than the time it rolled down a hill while I stood and watched?
    (check those e-brake cables)

16. phukinartie

phukinartie

I see it alot the wifey loves to drive the cars

17. It's fun to see your own car in motion, and hear, so I have a habit of video taping most of them. Although, as said earlier, it's hard to let someone ealse drive your car.

18. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My buddy and I were lost in the back lands of Hanover PA. I had the same thought about what everyone else saw so I made my buddy get out and take this video

19. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Now whats REALLY RARE is how many times have you ridden in the backseat of your own car?

.............. and I mean that respectfully ;)

20. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

Twice.
    It was kinda funny to watch this itty biddy Okinawan girl behind the wheel of a 1957 Chevy 210 9 pass staion wagon, and then again in the roadster. I was laughing so hard because my poor wife had this "What the hell was I thinking" look in her face and she couldn't stop smiling.

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I have, with BenD and Atch in the front seat, can't remember which one was driving and me and Beatnik sitting on the back package tray.....Big Olds didn't have an actual backseat then.:D

22. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Never, I've had the same 46 Chevy since '91 and no one else has driven it. I have asked the wife and my kids to take it around the block so i could see. They don't want to, afraid they "don't know how" :rolleyes: It has a 350/350, and power steering.....I tell them to drive it like they would in their everyday appliances....but they won't, i have to settle for the plateglass downtown, too bad I live in a small town and there's only two blocks with stores like that. My '40 ford pickup, i don't want anyone to drive yet, too many, umm, quirks

23. Same here.

24. McFly

McFly

I don't know how to imbed a youtube link directly to this site but here is the old fashion way. I stumbled across this a couple of months ago. That's me in my roadster at the very end 3:10's it was very cool to see and a nice suprise. I think we all would like to see ourselves going down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1PPj6eqxw4

25. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

Nice, nice, nice, ........good stuff.

26. 2002p51

2002p51

I've done the plate glass window thing too.

Denise was cool enough to shoot a video of us at the Goodguys Bowling Green last year. I only watched it about 50 times!

Thanks kiddo!

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

My pleasure sweetie!:D

[​IMG]

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

It hasn't happened very often, but I like it when it does. It gives me a chance to critique how my car looks in motion, and to look for ways to improve it.

Several years ago I took 2 cars to Paso, and a buddy of mine drove my '36. Watching it on the road for several hours convinced me that it needed a little chop, which it got a few months later.

Here's what I saw on the road:

[​IMG]

29. de-fenders

de-fenders

I've done the plate glass window thing, and the only one to every drive my car besides me is my pops (the wife is too afraid!)

30. Tantara

Tantara
    from Minnesota

My buddy Tommy asked me to do a burnout in his car because he wanted to watch. The car disappeared in the smoke. We still talk about it almost thirty years later.

Brad