Register now to get rid of these ads!

Interesting Finds at my buddies shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by baggedmitsu, Apr 13, 2009.

1. baggedmitsu

baggedmitsu

I go to my buddies shop and he always has the most interesting stuff around. Heres a couple of future projects he has at the shop,
    btw does anybody know what that convertible is, he told me and interesting story behind the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

man,what a hack job on that zephyr

3. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is wrong with that Zephyr? and how can you tell with one angle?

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

rub your eyes and look again.....

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Just look at the quarter window homie...

6. vertible59

vertible59

That looks like a '39 or '40 Olds ragtop. Are pix 4 and 6 a Cord, Hollywood Graham, or Hupp Skylark?

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The blue convertible is a 41 Olds.
    The odd sedan is a 36-37 Cord Beverly, the body tools were also later used for the 39-40 Hupp Skylark, and the 40-41 Graham Hollywood.

8. gr8ness13

gr8ness13
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok I see that now.. I rubbed my eyes and blinked a couple of times ..Good looking out!

9. baggedmitsu

baggedmitsu

since this thread was headed in the wrong direction i deleted the other pics, just wanted to show you guys the type of cars some guys start with.

10. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

The lines are all wrong, it does not FLOW. A Zephyr is supposed to FLOW!

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

As pointed out above, the green sedan is NOT a Zephyr! Judging from the hood shape it does look like a Cord. The '41 Olds droptop looks like a fun builder, looks like most of the pieces are already there.

12. baggedmitsu

baggedmitsu

the inside of that vert is full ofnew parts, from what i understand their new factory parts too.

13. baggedmitsu

baggedmitsu

i was told that the vert was wrecked leaving an auto show when it was brand new, only had a few miles on it, been stored ever since

14. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

why was the post edited to delete the pic and any mention of the zephyr?

15. baggedmitsu

baggedmitsu

i deleted the pics because the post wasnt to argue whether the zephyr was built cool or not, i just wanted to show you guys the state of the two project cars that were about to be built. so when a few guys decided to talk about the zephyr i decided to take the pic out.

16. That is a very odd looking Cord. All of the Cord sedans that I have ever seen have either a humpback trunk or a flat back. That rounded ass end is something I have never seen. It seems factory, though. The roofs were welded together from about 8 separate pieces and leaded. There was a lot of labor involved, but Cords were expensive cars, so it wasn't an issue for them. That roof was one of the things that killed the Graham/Hupps. Plus, they were about done for anyway. If it were mine, I'd do some research before cutting it up. Could be valuable. I dunno, I'm not a Cord expert, but the regular cars are rare as chicken lips, so if this is an oddball it would be worth a lot to the right person

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  17. baggedmitsu

baggedmitsu

I was told that the cord was a prototype. the thing that made it extra unusual, which ill go back to the shop this week and get a pic, the fact that inside of the trunk is another truck lol. seriously, a whole other trunk, not just sitting in there either, actually mounted to the car. Its like they added the outside trunk as an after thought. But it was done by the builder.

18. The Olds could have been wrecked leaving a show, but not when it was brand new, because it looks like it started out pale yellow and got a blue repaint somewhere down the road.

Is that Cord the Hump-back of Auburn Indiana? It doesn't look too bad that way.. worth researching to see if it's factory or someone's custom work at any rate.

19. Cords were built in Connorsville. The Olds story sounded fishy to me also.

20. baggedmitsu

baggedmitsu

well their just stories, i dont know whether their true or not, but they came from the owners mouth. anyways i thought the cars were interesting.

21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So what happened to all the pics?

22. mackster

mackster

I wanted to look at the Zephyr!!!!!! :(

23. boldventure

boldventure

Man; that Cord looks like it could be saved. How much is there? Engine running gear etc...
    No doubt the Cord would end up being another I spent more than the thing is probably worth deals but, shit there aren't many Cord restoration projects sittin' around.

24. boldventure

boldventure

Cord Westchester, different profile though, trunk in a trunk(?)
    I've always been a big fan of ALL Cords...

Attached Files:

25. cretin

cretin

Me too!

26. the olds has a 40 grill in it
    a 41 has horizontle bars like a caddy
    and the side grills are thicker and cast/potmetal
    but still cool
    i have a nos rear fender for the olds if he needs one ;)
    tk

27. lowburban

lowburban

Thats at Max's right.

28. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I think the Cord/Huppmobile/Graham? has been customized in the past. I've never seen any of them with that big hump on the back or a gas tank fill door. I don't think gas doors became standard until the early 50s. Also notice that this 40 has inside trunk hinges.

[​IMG]
    A buddy of mine hot rodded a Hupp quite a few years ago. He grafted the reproduction Cord hideaway head lights into the Hupp fenders like the Cords had. You gotta love individual crank out windshields. What a cool car! I hope this one gets saved ansd I'm sure it will.

29. My '40 Roadmaster has a gas door in the rear fender.

The Cord's obviously been customized, the question is when and by who - someone in a shop or his backyard, or the factory as a design excercise?

30. alsancle

alsancle

All 810/812 Cords had gas doors. It would be great to get some better pictures of the back of that Cord.