Register now to get rid of these ads!

Interesting FlatHead or Not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Apr 13, 2009.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I will be the first to say I know nothing about Flatheads except I like lookin at them! Just by looking at this one pic tell me all you know about this Flathead, year, size, trans that could be put behind it, etc. What would be a fair price not knowing if the block could be usable or junk. I might be interested in putting it in a '36 Ford Coupe if it would be appropriate.................. Thanks[​IMG]

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It's '39-48 at the outside, if the lumps on bellhousing top say "59" as I think it is '46-8.
    If it can be removed intact there is quite a few $$$ worth of aluminum there!
    The manifold is made for '49 up, by the way

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Would be best choice in terms of fitting into a '36.

4. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

The heads and intake are worth saving, if nothing else.

5. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

6. banjorear

banjorear

A 40 lb. cinder block is sure one way to make sure water doesn't go down the carbs., geez.

Evans heads are certainly sought after and if the carbs aren't crushed under the weight of that block, they are a good score. So is the intake.

If it's not too much ($300 max. with those goodies) then I'd go for it.

7. Wow, a solid concrete air cleaner. They are a bit restrictive, though.

8. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I'd get it just for that cool blower, those are really rare!

9. The block is a concrete non interlocking wall block . These are very hand you can put them behind anything to keep it from rolling around .
    p.s. If the engine is for sale I'd snag that too .

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Is that in a coupe or a roadster? Looks like it was a pretty bitchin original hot rod!

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

[​IMG]

12. banjorear

banjorear

Damn, Guide headlights too? Does this thing have a dropped axle? How much for the whole rig? You'd be surprised how much of cool stuff is more than likely on this old gal.

I am a little concerned that the water pipes were left uncorked. IF you get this thing, soak it with penatrating fluid for weeks before taking it apart. You'll be glad you did.

Good luck and keep us posted.

13. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

Get all of it... Not just the motor!

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That is pretty neat.

15. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

Dibs on the Guide headlights. :D

16. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

shoot, the thing's got it's own tow bar - write the guy a check for whatever you settle on - air up that vintage rubber and get that onto your own property. Clean it up a little bit...then 'stage' it someplace so it attracts those of us with an eye out for this kind of stuff, get yourself a beat up old Stetson, some coveralls, and adopt a lovely southern drawl - and then have some fun with folks that stop by to talk the 'old coot' out of that ride. When you're bored with that - get it on the road.

dj

17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'd say get it all and rebuild it as it is, that looks like a pretty nice hot rod as is,

Or you can give me the address and i might cut you a deal on a running flattie

19. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

That is one hell of a find I would try to get the whole thing find a different motor for your 36. My 2 cents

20. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I'm really having a hard time believing that you needed to ask us. I would have quietly snuck it home and commenced my plot for world domination. That's me...

So you either:
    A. Really don't have a clue
    B. Can't afford whatever it will cost
    C. Are a just being an ass and rubbing it in

hmmmm.....

21. havi

havi

Like real estate, they stopped making those long ago. Get it all. Even if the block is junk, the heads and intake would look cool hanging on the garage wall.

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

scottybaccus has it right-love multiple choice-how about all of the above?

23. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

A. Did you read my first sentence?
    B. He want's an offer
    C. No comment worth printing

24. I've posted my rules of buying anything on the HAMB before, but just for you, one more time.

Sellers by the laws of nature MUST put a price on the item. Even if it's a $5.00 item and he wants a million. At least you then have a starting point to negotiate.

Buyers never start the negotiations by making any offer.

Show the seller you are serious by showing up with a trailer and a large lump of cash in your front pocket. Don't show it, just make sure he knows you are there to negotiate a purchase.

If the seller refuses to put a price on his merchandise, turn and walk away. All he really wants is someone to talk to, and if he sells the object in question, people will stop coming around, and he will be just another lonesome old fart waiting to die.

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

brigrat-Geez, don't get offended if you give limited ino and ask for lots in return. Have you done a Ford Flathead V8 search here, or online or read any car magazines. Lots of info if you look. May not tell you a specific value for engine, much less whole car. No, you did not say that the guy was looking for an offer. Tell us about seller-looks like lots of old stuff on property. Just cleaning up the lot or a guy that knows what he wants-top dollar. Is there anyone in your area that is a flathead nut that you could show pics to? Even if engine is not junk will not be cheap to completely rebuild and update. You found some gold, but what is all of the work and effort to make shine worth to you?

26. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

get the whole car

27. old1946truck

old1946truck

I would try to snage the whole car it would make a cool little roadster.

28. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

The owner is from a reverse universe, he wants to keep the coupe and put it back stock, will that ever happen, not in his life time but hey it's his dream. Once I learned that I ask how much for the flatty, he said make offer, now you know the rest of the story.

29. carmarket

carmarket

tell em the engine is probably stuck and offer him a hunert for it

30. havi

havi

unknown condition flathead: $100. unknown condition but rotates, another $100-200. Flathead magnafluxed, add yet another $100-200. Guaranteed, no cracks, magnafluxed and all works, at the very least $500. Running: anything above that. So you could buy it for $100, spend an extra $400, and still be without a good buy.