Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Need some input on my first rod, 1950 Merc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JustBusiness, Apr 12, 2009.

1. JustBusiness

JustBusiness

Hello everyone, forgive some of my newbie questions, but I am new to the hot rod/ custom car world.

I want to build (have built probably) my dream car, a 1950 Merc.

I want a custom look to the car (a 4-6" chop). I want it finished in matte black paint. I want a brand new fuel injected engine, modern suspension, disc brakes, auto trans.Matte Black Merc

I do not plan on this being a show-car, but a driver.

So here are my questions;

Should i buy an "in-progress" car and have it finished? Or a completed car and have it painted?

If not, should I start from the ground up on an original body, or a new fiberglass body? Fiberglass Merc

Any input is greatly appreciated. My time-frame is unlimited, I want to start my research immediately.

Thanks,

Justin

2. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

first why would you want to buy a "finished" car with nice shiny paint and slap some matte finish on it? You would be better off buying an original merc and having it done the way you want...but i can assure you that as time goes on you will see your build progress and realise that a merc deserves shiny paint and not matte

3. Cirilian

Cirilian

Welcome. If you can find an "in-progress" car that would probably be the best way to go, provided that the work already done doesn't have to be re-done. I would stay away from the fiberglass.

4. Justin, maybey you should start out with a pinto, or a pacer, mabey even a gremlin, and work your way up to a merc. Pay your dues boy....
    Besides,I think you legally have to be a card carrying member member of the american Grafitti fan club, dress like Fonzie, and keep half a quart of oil up in your hair to be legaly able to buy an old shoebox mercury.

Just kidding, nothing wrong with dreaming......But........ Forget about this having someone do the work for you crap. Hot rodding is not about having someone else build your car for you, build your own stuff. Now if you were born with a silver spoon shoved in your yaphole, and someone still wipes your ass for you, I could understand where your coming from........You used the word "Want" a number of times in your post, try replacing that with will do, or somthing similar.
    By the way, Have you ever driven a car without power steering and brakes (4 wheel drum at that) and with 3 pedals on the floor? Thats the way real cars were....If you wouldn't mind explaining, why would you want a "brand new fuel injected engine" Do Carburators scare you? Or have you never heard of a choke before.
    Here's a little hint; The hamb is about TRADITIONAL CARS...
    No Fuel injection,
    No disk brakes (preferebly)
    No excess aluminum bullstuff
    no 22" wheels with rubberbands for tires
    Most of these things that you mentioned disconnect a driver from the road, thats like riding a motorcycle with a roof and 4 wheels!!!
    It dosent sound like you want a Classic merc, You want a new vette,
    Good luck, and have fun with your research and education.

5. JustBusiness

JustBusiness

I think having the car done "my-way" is best, I have some very specific desires for the car. As for the paint, I am almost certain I will go for matte black (I know this is a recent trend, but I have envisioned my car like this for a long time). I may have some gloss flames, or pinstripes added.

Why no fiberglass? I don't disagree, just wonder what the issues are. In my opinion, I'd prefer to have an original body, for an authentic "lead-sled".

Is it sacrilegious to add a GM crate engine? LS7 is $13,000 from GM. Or should I go with a Ford Racing Crate Engine?

6. I think you're missing the whole premise of the HAMB.

You should spend some time looking around for a while and most of your questions will be answered.

Good luck.

BloodyKnuckles

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  7. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

this is a kit car, fiberglass obviously. From what i have heard it is very good quality. I suggest you do a LOT of research before deciding what you are going to do, you will be surprised at how many times you'll change your mind.
    [​IMG]

8. "Authentic lead sled" and $13,000 crate motors don't seem to mix in my opinion....

Hey Buddy, Do you think I could borrow a few bucks??? Iv'e only invested about $500 total into my 59 chevy, and less than 2g's on my Cadillac.
    But then again, What do I know, I paint on my whitewalls, and grew up wearing garage sale shoes...................

9. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

dont come down on the guy cause he might have money...I'm sure we all wish we did. He came here asking for advice not to get made fun of. It is our responsibility on the HAMB to show him the way, not to get him pissed and make him want to leave

10. Hey That Glass merc is neat!!!!!! Who makes that ??? A.M.T.???????

11. JustBusiness

JustBusiness

I don't want to do my own work because I am not a skilled mechanic/engineer. I am a pencil pusher. I'd prefer to leave the work of my dream car with that of a professional. (Just as I believe investors should have investment professionals working for them). Also, my in my limited free-time I like to play with my toys, not build them (my personal choice). As I typed want over and over, I considered changing it, but it is the proper word. Those are things I want in the car, however, I will compromise on some to get others.

Yes, I have driven cars with 3 pedals. I own a boat with two four-barrel carburetors. That is why I do not want carbs, I have a lot of maintenance on the boat engines, and would prefer a piece of mind fuel injected engine.

As for the forum comments, I have read numerous threads with info regarding disc breaks, modern suspension, even air bags! (those are new aren't they?). I am not buying a 1950 Merc for the classic driving experience, but for the lead-sled style.

12. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

I can't remember who makes it, I remember they were on here for sale tho...not a bad price either for a complete chopped merc

13. Justin,

Welcome to the H.A.M.B.!

When you say "matte black paint", do you mean paint (with a satin finish) or black primer? (the one pictured in your link is in primer, not paint)

What's your budget for this project?

... and just so you know ... the HAMB is all about Traditional Hot Rods & Customs ... so some of the folks on the board will give you a hardtime about using "modern running gear" (EFI engine, disc brakes, etc.) under your Merc. We also tend to prefer cars "home built" cars (vs. professionally built turn key cars) ... some refer to the owners of these types of cars as "credit card rodders" or "gold-chainers" ... don't let these folks deter you ... while I'll agree that it's always cooler to have built the majority of a car yourself, the fact is that we all had to start out somewhere ... welcome to the hobby!

EDIT: I see that I type way too slow ... alfredfromchicago already started the flamin' ... good job Alfred ... way to keep the hobby alive! :rolleyes:

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

So, why a '50 Merc? Why such a short time line? What is your car building backround?
    Looks like you have a good paying job, so guess budget is very big. Because what you already have in your wish list will cost plenty. So, matte black-explain what you think that is and why you would want to go that route with what will likely be a hi-tech car. Have you looked closely at cars at shows that you like and taken photos and notes so that you can relay to someone else exactly what you want as a finished product? We all have dreams and no reason not to go for it, but for your first rod you are taking a big jump. Be sure to do a search here in the Cars For Sale section, you might fall in love with a custom shoebox or ?.

15. Sorry, I'm not trying to beat up on the kid,
    I guess "I've got at least 13g's to turn my back on the flatty and toss it in the trash" might of put a bad taste in my mouth...Y'know, like one of those nasty old tarnised spoons?
    Thank God for plastic silverware...

I'd imagine for 13-20 thousand he could find a finished merc someplace.
    Not necisarily nice, but some what finished....ready for flat black paint.

16. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

just remember, when he decides that flatty isn't good we'll be right there to "dispose" of it for him hahaha

17. Opps, I guess I should of asked A.m.t., Jo-han, or Revell.

I'll be putting that one on my wish list, I do play the lotto ya'know....

18. rat boy

rat boy
    from Merced ca

My opinion is steel is the only way to go unless you're building a dragster. 50 Mercs are pretty hard to find, around here at least, hopefully you can find a project that someone lost interest in or something.

19. JustBusiness

JustBusiness

I do not have a short time line, I will wait a life-time for the right car. I want to start research early because I want to make the best decisions possible. Building my own would take years, and not turn out very good, and probably cost just as much as having one built.

As for the flat/matte paint/primer. This is the color I have always wanted. I think it puts the emphasis on the cars shape, rather than the paint job. By the time the car is ready for paint, I might change my mind. My budget is not unlimited, but looking to spend between $40-60k for the turn-key car (not including completed interior, the plans for which I will keep to myself, I don't want to get yelled at again).

20. username

username

FYI

This post may or may not apply, but:

I guess people with a lot of time on their hands will post crazy B.S. "rat rod" crate injected import 22" air bags etc etc question to get a rise out of others.

After pissing a number of people off they will then go back to their forum and post a link to the HAMB and laugh about everyone arguing for 11 pages long.

Again, this may or may not apply.

21. JustBusiness

JustBusiness

I sure will get these old parts in the hands of people who will appreciate them like I can't.

22. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

hey Im the one stickin' up for you, just playin' a little

23. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

24. JustBusiness

JustBusiness

I've seen this before, and laughed. Like new camaro owners going on mustang forums, etc... Not the case here though. I will not be putting 22" wheels on the car, or anything near that. I have, however, thought about an AMG V12 in this thing (would be too complicated and expensive).

25. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

26. Just business, after understanding you a bit better, I would recommend going with the glass body. The perfect modern chassis, and whatever else would make it right for you. trying to work with rust and dent prone steel, and an antiquidated chassis would only set you up for headaches in the long run.
    (I'm used to rusty junk n' headaches).
    Besides, this would probley give you a nicer car for your kids, or resale, years down the line.
    Now If I could do what your doing, my dream car would be...A 48' Tucker!!!!!!
    If your not familiar with the tucker, it was only one of the greatest automotive dream that ever happened. There were only about 50 ever made, but a guy named rob ida is repopping them in glass and powering them with Caddy northstar engines instead of the old helicoptor motors. I Belive one of these will run you between 100-300,000.oo........That is why I play the lottery.........

27. Dude, the one with the green flames and the carson top looks like a steal..

28. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

yeah its everything he wanted already done

29. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dude, you really need to find the right people to ask. You are in the wrong place completely.
    By all means build the car how you want, just don't bother us with it.
    If this pisses you off I don't give a fuck. This place is for TRADITIONAL cars, you don't want one that even resembles a trad car by the sounds of it.
    And airbags have been around for a LONG time, the Ala Kart had them.......
    Not that you would know what that was, or who built it.
    Mate, this place is for guys that live and breathe traditional cars, you just don't get it.
    Go to a street rodding forum, you will find more help there.
    Doc.

30. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Gene Winfield has complete fiberglass bodies.