Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937 Dodge and Plymouth Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lackluster, Mar 16, 2008.

1. lackluster

lackluster

Hey guys- I recently started a 37 Dodge 1/2 ton project and have a few questions about some of the parts I'm currently trying to track down for it. I know that this is the place to go to find the guys that have the answers! First of all, are the radiator shells the same for the cars and trucks, other than the fact that the trucks had the holes for the headlights in the radiator shells rather than having them mounted on the fenders? If so, is there any reason why I couldn't use the shell from a car and just cut the holes out for the headlight mounts. Were the hood ornaments exactly the same on the trucks and the cars? I know the fenders were different between the cars and trucks, but were the 37' truck fenders a one year only thing, or could I find fenders from trucks from other years that would be identical? Were the fenders and radiator shells on the Plymouth and Dodge trucks the same? THANKS! lackluster

2. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

Looks like you and I are in the minority here with these trucks. First off, the car and truck grilles are different sizes. The hood ornaments may look the same but have different length bases. By the way, are you putting it back together to look stock? Do a search for Dodge Truck pictures and make sure you put in the years 1936 37 38 and you'll the differences. If you don't mind using a Plymouth grille on a Dodge you use the grille shell. If you're not worried about a stock look I guess you could use the grille from a car but for sure your front fenders won't line up and you could modify the grille to mount headlights. 37 and 38 Dodge fenders are the same but 36 is a little different. Also, what engine are you running in your truck? Good luck.

3. lackluster

lackluster

Thanks for the info! So for fenders, my only choices are 37 and 38 Dodge if I want it to be "correct"? I can see some obvious differences between the Dodge and Plymouth grills themselves, but are the radiator shells different as well? Sucks that I can't use the 37 car hood ornament that I tracked down! Right now I'm a day away from having the original 6 cylinder firing, but I'd love to track down an early hemi. I'm just starting out with the project, so at this point its 100% stock all around and only missing a couple things like the hood ornament. The grill and fenders are there, but pretty hammered. Got any more pics of your truck? Thanks again!

4. earlymopar

earlymopar

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I have a 37 ½ ton as well. 36’ and 37’ “Commercial” grill shells are the same as are the fenders and do not differ between Dodge or <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Plymouth</st1:place></st1:City>. Only the grill center section and left-right halves are of a different design. With that said, there are differences seen in late 36’, early 37’, late 37’ designs that are all based on parts inventories at the time they made changes. They simply kept building with what they had before they moved onto the “new” design.

Have Fun!

5. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

Here are some pictures of different 37 & 38 Dodge and Plymouth trucks. Mine is the one in the garage with the 241 Hemi. The maroon one is a 37 Dodge, the one at the track is a 37 Plymouth, the blue one is a 38 Dodge, and the red/black one is a 38 Plymouth. The grille shells should be the same height/width for the 37/38 models.

Attached Files:

6. earlymopar

earlymopar

Nice pictures of some reallly nice pickups.

The tan one at the track is a 37' Dodge or at least it has a 37' Dodge grill center and grill sides and, 37 Dodge hood sides.

- EM

7. Southfork

Southfork

What do you all use for brakes on your pickups? Not the stock brakes, right? My MOPAR projects include a '37 Plymouth sedan delivey and '36 Dodge pickup. I'm going to run a MOPAR 360 and 3 speed overdrive stick shift in each. 'Figure the stock brakes won't be enough.

8. 8thdaycr8

8thdaycr8

That's a question I asked myself recently and this is what I've found out:

PLYDO- a company out of WV. Internet site doesn't work but has their contact info. I called and spoke to a less than enthusiastic guy, almost half asleep, who says they have a front disc brake kit. You have to have your stock spindles machined to fit the Chevy rotors with a Chevy bolt pattern. $550-600. I've also heard about poor service as well.

MP Brakes- front disc kits for 35 Dodge only. $800-900

Jim Weimer Garage- Located in Wisconsin. They sell a complete hub to hub kit, complete with crossmember and mounts, tubular upper control arms and optional coil overs. They can and have built kits specifically for the 36-38 Dodge/Plymouth cars and trucks. They have the measurements already but you have to call and confirm the measurements on your vehicle. Complete kit is $1520 with FREE shipping. As much as I appreciate and enjoy the traditional style and built front ends, I'm driving my truck everywhere and I making it faster, but most importantly safe. I also plan on using my front fenders.

Fatman Fab- They sell crossmembers as well as the front end kits. The Mustang II kits start at $2100.

If you're not using your front fenders your options are wide open. Cut the frame rails and use the Ford dropped spindle/radius rods, etc. Your price will probably come close to the same once you buy everything you need.

I hope this helps.

9. I am not trying to steel your post, I just wanted to show you what I have done. This is a 1939 Ply. cab w/1936 Ply Coupe fenders, hood & grill shell. With a little work you can make any thing fit if you decide not to stay with stock parts. Good luck Bob

Attached Files:

10. James Curl

James Curl

On the Disc brakes Check out "Rusty Hope. com" to see if he has a kit for the trucks. Also check out Fatman products, he makes disc brake kits for early cars and I think they are the same spindle as the early trucks. One other possible source is Scarebird, the make a kit for some of the early MoPar cars. You might look at "Pilot-House.Com" which is a site for late 40 and early 50 Dodge trucks.

11. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

All you Ply truck guys , I am one too ! I have a 37 Ply truck that is a basket but I wanted it so I bought it . I am in need of a good passenger side door for the pickup , my question is does anyone have a spare and I found a Dodge passenger door that will fit a 39 , 40 and i think a 42 . It looks the same and the guy says it fit his 39 Dodge but does anyone out there know FOR SURE if it will fit my 37 ? If it does PLEASE someone let me know ASAP . I don't want to loose it !! Thanks , Retro Jim

12. Bear Metal Kustoms

Bear Metal Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

13. Neglected Steel

Neglected Steel

I have a question about the 36-38 dodge trucks. Where are the serial numbers located on the cabs?

14. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

Mine has a plaque on the firewall toward the driver side. Thats the only thing I have found.

15. '39 door WILL NOT fit '38 or older. '39 is when the body style changed.

16. DOugG

DOugG
    from mich

Well sound like you all have more of a Dodge then I have. A rod shop here is building a stretched cab 7' in the doors 38 pickup and I got the left overs from the doner cab that he was going to trash. I could'nt let that happen so I have a cowl with windsheild suround back of cab with widow suround front and back of doors . Missing roof metal and 7" in the doors. If I could find doors I thought it would be the start of a good roadster pickup project,either way its not gettin crushed and going to china.
    Can anybody say DOORS
    Still styin to learn what fits what on these yrs.
    Doug

17. ramrodz37

ramrodz37
    from Calgary

Nice to see others have the same interest in late 30's Dodge pickups. I found Ebay a big help in collecting parts as these are extremly rare north of the 49th, probably due to a crushing blitz in the mid 70's.
    The serial number is on the lower (larger) tag, held in place with 2 small screws.
    [​IMG]
    As for the ormanents, cars and trucks had different length bases because of the different grills/grill shells.

18. El-Cid

El-Cid

Sorry to bump an old topic but I have to give you a huge thanks! I'm got a '37 Dodge Coupe project that's finally being dragged out of the mothballs and my initial plans have changed from ifs/318/auto to stock tube axle & front suspension/225 slant six/4 speed and I was starting to pull out my hair looking for a front disc kit. That's exactly what I needed.

19. octane

octane
    from Virginia

If you need body parts, there's a guy selling a '37 Dodge body on my local craigslist - go to Virginia and then Hampton Roads.

20. Good to hear it worked out for you

21. schmied37

schmied37
    from western pa

Maybe you Mopar truck guys can help me. I have a 37 Plymouth ( and parts of a dodge ) Woody that is built on the truck chassis. I need a good cab or cowl section withabout 15" of roof to replace mine that was damaged by a tree. I also need a grill and shell. Harry

22. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

23. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

Go with rusty hope, he has been most informative and not alot of $$$$$. Read the fine print with the other guys. I still have not recieved my PLYDO catalog I ordered in march.

Jon

24. H3O

H3O

i have a 37 dodge pickup, too. it has a desoto motor in it and i need a clutch, pressure plate, and release bearing for it. need some help.
    it's actually my dad's but i want to get it runnin.

25. I have always loved those Dodge and Plymouth pickups...great lines...wish I had one

26. bassplayer

bassplayer

looking for 1937 dodge front head lights left and right unit

27. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

Anybody know where I can find a spring for the drag link, where it attaches to the pitman arm ?

28. jonrbrt

jonrbrt
    from Indiana

Did you get your truck finished? Check out my 37 Plymouth PT50 here www.37plyguy.com
    I have patch panels and lots of parts for these trucks.