Register now to get rid of these ads!

cragar SS and white walls?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cavistyle, Apr 11, 2009.

1. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

Would it be a sin or distasteful to put wide whites on cragar ss rims? anyone have pics

2. 55FORDWGN

55FORDWGN

Both.....................................I've seen it done but I don't think it looks right.

3. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

I personally don't like the look, it may depend on what car. I remember when the SS first vame out some guys ran thin WW on the front with the Cragars with open wheels, usually black, on the back. i liked that!

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a general rule that's a no-no....But, Redneck Mike's ElMosquito is an exception. That car had kind of a...so gross it was beautifull vibe..

Anyone have a pic of the 'ol ElMosquito???

-Abone.

5. noboD

noboD

Skinny whites are OK, but wide whites were done by the time Cragars were big.

6. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

What are you talking about! Cragar S/S' and skinny whites. They look sick on the right 60's custom! It's nice to see a break from Astros and skinny whites every once in awhile. I'm talkin' 14x7's with $5 wally world tires. Gorgeous!

7. Red Ryder

Red Ryder

Not if you put Fiesta hubcaps over the SS Cragars. :eek:

8. ive seen them on lowriders for years ..

9. I say no . when I first put my 36 together it had wide white bias plies and Cragar s/s wheels. At first I thought it looked "ok" but the more I looked at it , it started to look wrong to me, sort of something like you would have seen on a " SUPERFLY CAR" in the 70's. Off came the whites and on went the black walls. MUCH BETTER. Just my opinion though. Mitch.

10. I was around when Crager SS's came on the scene and everyone I knew who ran them turned thier whitewalls inside, I think they look better that way. Wide Whites are for steelies & caps, just my opinion.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

In the original Cragar S/S days you could run red line tires, but rarely any type of whitewall.

12. rick finch

rick finch

No, don't do it.........looks wrong.

13. DollaBill

DollaBill

Yeah...it's funny, Radir's and whitewalls pass muster, in some cases. Torq Thrusts and whitewalls work in some cases...especially if it's whitewall slicks...

...but Cragar's and whitewalls, not so much. The ONLY place I have seen that work (and someone already mentioned this) is on lowriders. Even then, it's got to be a 60's car.

I don't have the issue, but I remember it. Hot Rod ran an article on lowriders sometime in the 70's...I think it was the only time they've done it. Anyway, they profiled a '68 Camaro lowrider, rolling Cragar's and whitewalls, and it was perfect!

Which was the image that came to mind when I read your post. So unless you're putting together a 60's lowrider, I think...not so much.

14. Thought this was pretty groovy--

Attached Files:

15. not even sure if these are S/S wheels, but sure look close enough.
    Honestly, it's more of a 70's lowrider type of look, but does work in some way just because the Cragar wheels looks enough like a Torq Thrust.

Attached Files:

16. JimSibley

JimSibley

It works for me.

Attached Files:

17. Orn

Orn

I run Cragar SS and ww on my 41 Buick for a while. If it looks good or gay its up to you but later on I replace them with a set of steel rims and 57 Caddie hubcaps. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

18. thunderplex

thunderplex

sheesh!!! Here's the rule-of-thumb.

If you (the owner) like WW's on Cragar S/S, ..it works.
    If you (the owner) DO NOT like WW's on Cragar S/S, it doesn't work.

Why would you care if anybody else likes your wheel/tire combo? If we all followed the previous fella all of our cars would look identical. Do what you want and dare to be different.

...just my $.02. We now return you to regular programming.

19. I don,t like it that way but damn I have to admit that on some cars it looks great! To each his own....

20. You'll never see whitwalls on my Cragars

Attached Files:

21. word!-mike

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

skinny yes, wide no...

23. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

looks badass 2 me... they would be going on a 51 chevy sports coupe. its kinda raked but its low and im looking to run cheater slicks on the rear

24. Muttley

Muttley

Hey, that sounds like a good idea.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  25. mow too much

mow too much

Personally I don't like it, but it's your car.

26. Wide whites on Cragar SS wheels generally look like crap. Little narrow whites, maybe. I know of a '65 Chevy wagon that is a stunning car, but it has the www combo on it; and to me, it really looks goofy as hell. On that black car above, it seems to fit that particular car and looks right. Other than maybe that car, I'd say "no way!"

However, it's your car. Go for it.

27. Since you asked, It is completely distasteful :eek: Cragars would never have been seen with wide whites in my area of So Cal during the 60's when Cragars became popular. They were for the drag race style crowd. If you did see it, you figured the guy either couldn't afford Astro Supremes or just didn't know any better. And it doesn't look any better today, still looks out of place, especially to the older guys!.
    My 2 cents and nothing more.

28. xsteve

xsteve
    from puyallup

just about any color skinny stripe looks ok, i can't picture wide whites looking right. black walls.....somtimes less is more!

29. Famous Tater53

Famous Tater53

Well, I have to agree with ThunderPlex & Lost Angel...It is YOUR car and regardless of whether any of us like it or not, NONE of us have a single penny in your ride. If you try 'em & like 'em, then run 'em. I totally value every opinion on the HAMB...BUT, in the end, you make the call. That is what keeps the ideas going. Some folks that say heck no may see your car and think, hey not bad afterall. Just my opinion! What's it worth, nothing but, it is ALL mine!

Tater

30. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

That car was one of the most hidious cars on the face of the planet! I named it that because it sat stock model a height. I cant believe that came up.