Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mack pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by canucktruck, Apr 9, 2009.

1. jim mchargue

jim mchargue

I think the first two are "E" models,bottom one the larger "L" model.Going by memory,gotta mack book around here somewhere.The "A" used basically the same cab as the "E",cowl and front clip was different though.They both used a one piece w/shield,unlike the "L".

2. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

3. hot rust

hot rust

one that i thought would look good on the b models would be the 50's studebaker bed as the fenders have a more bulbous shape to go along with the fronts. just my .02

4. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Yeah, I agree the Stude lines would probably look on a B model. I'm going to check but I bet they are too small to fit with the large truck type tires.

5. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Maybe not. Here is my '50 1-ton Studebaker truck project which came stock with 17" budd wheels which I am keeping. The bed and rear fenders are exactly the same as the 3/4 (and sim. to 1/2 ton which is only 6ft) trucks, just bigger/higher chassis.

I also swapped out the stock Studebaker Spicer rear axle with a Dana 70 with the same 5 -lug bolt pattern from an early 70's Dodge motor home.

[​IMG]

6. sloppy-ollies

sloppy-ollies
    from Jersey

Those trucks are simply beautiful.

7. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Hey Stude I like that truck. Would you mind measuring the bottom of the fender opening for me? I would use a pair of those rear fenders (assuming I could find a pair) on my truck. The rear tires on my truck are 44" tall.

8. krooser

krooser

Freightliner uses 33 1/2" I believe. I bought a used fifth wheel for my old FLD120 that was on a KW... it was about 1/2' too wide.

Many trucks from the 60's back also had narrower frames.

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Will do as soon as I get a chance. But, one thing to keep in mind with these fenders is that the sides of the beds are slightly curved and so is that side of the fender. So, they won't really adapt easily to another more common flat sided bed without some mod. work. Your best bet is to find a whole Stude bed as well. Additionally, a lot of the Stude bed parts are reproduced to make rebuilding one reasonably easy. the only parts that are not made are the thicker metal top edge which is formed and makes both the top of the outside and the whole inner sider of the beds.

Matt Seret rebuilt almost all of my bed with these parts. Fortunately the top edges were in decent enough shape to work with. But, still ended up being a lot of work.

http://www.classicent.com/pickups.php

Keep an eye out on ebay as well as Craigslist. Decent Studebaker truck stuff isn't that hard to find if you actually look and the prices are usually pretty fair.

10. Here's another picture of a Mack pickup truck. I can't tell you much about it...I just happened to 'collect' the picture somewhere. I DO think it's a darn good looking pickup.

The actual cab on a B-Model Mack isn't very big, but I think you'd have a pretty big job on your hands getting those huge Mack B-Model fenders to look right over pickup-sized wheels and tires.

As you probably know, there's been a 'ton' of pickups made with Kenworth and Peterbilt cabs. Here's a picture of on of those.

Good luck!

JG

Attached Files:

11. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

My race partner and I are right in the middle of building a pickup truck out of a 1957 B model Mack. We're going to use it to pull an enclosed race trailer. This picture was taken yesterday, we hope to have it on the road by mid summer.
    [​IMG]

Here's a couple of pictures taken a few weeks ago when we were mocking things up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

I came across this picture of a old Mack 6X6, It makes me wonder how one of these things would look done in a sort of gasser style.

[​IMG]

The cab on these Macks are fairly small for a big truck but I think they're a little bigger than most of the old pickups. I measured and the bench seat from a modern Chevy pickup would just squeeze in.
    The wheel wells are big so you pretty much have to stay with a fairly large tire. The Mack I'm working on has exactly the same tires as many large 18 wheelers. We're using a set of the new "super single" tires on the rear. One of these tires replaces a pair of regular dual tires.
    Here's a picture of one of the tires beside a tire from my 3/4 ton pickup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

there was a guy round here in the early 80s who put a mack on a 1 ton 4x4 ford chassie looked cool he did a brockway too. i actually liked the brockway better.

14. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Keep this thread going...........These are some simply beautiful trucks here,and that rocket bike..........simply awesome !!

15. firemunkey

firemunkey
    from temecula

Interesting thread, love old 30/40's firetrucks myself, keep it going....

16. oj

oj

I'm doing one out of a Federal, similiar to a 'B' model mack. You think the cab is small like a 40 ford but when you get working on it you realize it is huge. I chopped 8"off the top and have plenty of head room and it is as wide as my buick daily driver. I posted some of the pieces of it on the HAMB one day and got my ass handed to me in proper fashon. If you want to hot rod one of them go for it, just don't post any pics or the eliteists will have a fit and inform you in no uncertain terms that you don't know what you are doing.

17. That thing is sweet, I love the bed, makes it look fast!

Brad

18. sloppy-ollies

sloppy-ollies
    from Jersey

The new issue of "Vintage Truck" as an article on Mack pickups. I havent read it yet, but thought I'd pass it on.

19. john walker

john walker

this thing hauled caterpillar tractors in it's day.

Attached Files:

20. jim_ss409

jim_ss409

John, I think this might be a picture of the same truck.
    Diamond T pickups are just plane cool! I think I read somewhere that there wasn't a lot of them built and they were quite expensive.
    [​IMG]

Here a couple more...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

B models -

Attached Files:

22. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

More Diamond T

Attached Files:

23. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Ive seen a few dealer service trucks from the 40s with that style bed. looks good!

24. Flatattack

Flatattack

Here's one, taken in Australia but imported from the US.

Attached Files:

25. Since this thread has morphed just a little, I found this photo on a thread from a show up in Mass. last weekend. They look huge until you spot the Olds parked next to the blue one.

Attached Files:

26. dentprone

dentprone

Kustom Jim,

If you come across any more of those tiller tanks, I could use one. I'm working on a project it would be perfect for.

27. Some time last year, Diesel Power magazine had a guy who put a Mack on a 1 ton Dodge. They have a searchable website too.
    Cool thread, big trucks are cool, but bring to mind a quote from when I worked at the Caterpillar dealer-
    "Big trucks, big bucks." :)
    JK

28. RichG

RichG

jim_ss409, you've done some amazing work on that truck, I love the proportions. Absolutely gorgeous work. Please be sure to post some finished pics on here if you get the chance:D

29. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

My Father drove a B model until 1973 and thats when they made a boom truck out of it. The company had it until they closed in the 90's. I remember riding with him on short trips when I had no school,they were small cabs with a big steering wheel. I have fond memories of B models and my father driving one arm thru the steering wheel and shifting two shifters at the same time. Priceless!!!

30. Went to an antique truck auction here in NH last summer that blew me away with the prices things were bringing. Some in very rough condition. It was an old timer who had a huge collection of trucks & some construction equipment with alot of Macks. Called it a "museum" to keep the town happy and anyone who wanted to could wander around checking out the old trucks for free. It was sad to see what took a man 50 years to collect all go away in a day. The Texaco tanker truck shown in these pics sold in the neighborhood of $30,000 IIRC not running & needing complete restoration.http://www.rimworlds.com/thecrotchetyoldfan/?p=4389