Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Easy Disc Brake Covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, May 24, 2007.

1. grouchy

grouchy

Great idea! Now I know why I drug home those Model A mechanical backing plates. ..grouchy

D-Russ likes this.
  2. AHotRod

AHotRod

Now that's creative, great job....Thanks!

D-Russ likes this.
  3. Like just about everything elese ion this car, he made them.

4. El-Cid

El-Cid

Nice tech, that turned out really clean. I seem to remember reading a similar how-to a number of years ago where somebody made some disc covers from frying pans. Or I may just be crazy, but I remember it fairly vividly. It turned out pretty nice too; seems like they polished the frying pans once they were done with the fab.

eddie1 and D-Russ like this.
  5. You're right El-Cid, there was a pan tech, possibly Street Rodder, 10 or so years back.

6. Great idea!, Excellent sketches

D-Russ likes this.
  7. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Dave ,good post you can rotate the caliper a small amount to the rear by using a speedway kit.. I did this disc cover up some years ago, Gerry Burger did a tech for American Rodder ,Jan 2003 .. Lots of pictures

D-Russ likes this.
  8. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Great tech! Fantastic diagrams.

D-Russ likes this.
  9. arkracing

arkracing

Bringing an old post back up - was there a tech write up on Jack's covers somewhere? I just search for all posts by him and couldn't find anything.

10. arkracing

arkracing

Thanks, Yeh I would be interested in what he did to the wheel cly's etc. I know that there was a post on this thread from an Aust. member with a similar set up - hardlined from the wheel cylinders on the inside to the calipers.

Also any ideas on how to make the "Drums" rotate so @ low speeds (when parking etc to give the appearance that they really are drums) or is that too much "Fauxtina" :D

11. arkracing

arkracing

Funny you mention the Buick Drums to sacrifice. I was going to ask about it, but though that I would catch a S*^$ storm for wanting to hide everything. - I would like to try the Buick drum thing - Basically the so-cal set up but with "real parts"

When you were trying the buick drums - would they fit over the rotors and calipers easily or would you have to machine them to fit? (i.e. cutting the part that contacts the brake shoe out?)

D-Russ likes this.
  12. butch27

butch27

I have one question. When you turn right does the caliper hit the front axle? Looks real close.

13. tigerShark

tigerShark
    from Tampa Bay

thanx for the tech. i will be using this.

D-Russ likes this.
  14. Diesel627

Diesel627

I love it!!! looks amazing

D-Russ likes this.
  15. Great Tech !

T E C H O M A T I C !!!!!

Rat

D-Russ likes this.
  16. Moonglow

Moonglow

What a cool idea!

D-Russ likes this.
  17. DRuss32---The tech is good, but My God---Your sketches are fantastic!!! If you did those sketches freehand, you should have a career where you use your artistic talents.

D-Russ likes this.
  18. movingviolation

movingviolation

Badass.............i love it! Adding the vents maybe the ribbon on the package!

D-Russ likes this.
  19. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Here's mine - $10.00 frying pand from Walmart

Attached Files:

deathrowdave, D-Russ and gnichols like this.
  20. old_skool_1953

old_skool_1953

This is an awesome thread. I want to run discs on my T coupe but hate the way they look. You could really run with this idea and make them look sweet. Thanks for posting this.
    Jared

D-Russ likes this.
  21. Thanks Brian. They're done freehand in pencil, in the way that most illustrators do sequential drawings. I did the first one of the unmodified backing plate freehand in a top/three quarter view and then taped it to my light table. I did each subsequent drawing on top of the original to keep the proportions and angles consistent but made the necessary changes and additions.

I actually do (or did) have a job where I did illustrations pretty regularly – I'm an art director by trade. Now I manage a creative department so I don't do as much hands on work as I used to, but it's fun once in a while to exercise the old skills.

Tman likes this.
  22. it is nice when some of these older tech threads come back up insted of some of the other zombie threads just want to eat your brain

HemiDeuce and D-Russ like this.
  23. Super nice brakes and great drawings. You should sell a kit !

D-Russ likes this.
  24. Moonglow

Moonglow

This tech is such a stoke of genius, it deserves a bump at least once a week!

D-Russ likes this.
  25. A Boner

A Boner

I agree.

D-Russ likes this.
  26. tigerShark

tigerShark
    from Tampa Bay

can this be done with the cheaper weld on rear axle brackets?

27. 41 C28

41 C28

Thats exactly what I was thinking, but I still think it looks good.

D-Russ likes this.
  28. Neat. I've got a couple of pair of '46-'48 front backing plates I'll never use otherwise. Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup has front discs with ECI kit that uses '73-'77 midsize GM rotors and calipers. Henrietta's serial number puts her build date in February of '38, so a pair of these will be her birthday present.

D-Russ likes this.
  29. freebird101

freebird101

awesome

D-Russ likes this.