Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Lets try to get this thread back on track.
    I had new winshield glass installed in my econo for 280.00 including the gasket. They even drove 11 miles out of town to my shop to install it. I cant believe its more in a metro area than in backwoods Montana...
    I think it is a nationwide company- Auto Glass Center

[​IMG]

2. RichG

RichG

Chaz, that truck looks awesome!

3. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Here are a couple shots of one that I saw at the Circle City Hot Rods open house a few weeks back. I got a couple shots of the suspension too since some people (including myself) have asked how to get these lower.

Attached Files:

4. Church

Church
    from South Bay

I hear ^^^^^^^^^^ is an ill handling bitch, but would love to hear that directly from the source rather than just rumor. I see how that coule be the case until you go with independent front suspension. The side pipes and flipped 62 chevy bumper hanging below the nose certainly helps it look lower than it actually is.

5. erock805

erock805

Church...howz progress?

Mines no slot car, but it rides pretty nice. Still waiting for my new column by Vic. Got a new steering box ready to go in, then start on the new roll pan and gate.

6. Hellfish

Hellfish

Wow! I think the gasket alone is almost $100! I wonder if those are MT-only prices.

7. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

I am stoked, I got the Econoline running tonight. After t finally started up and warmed up for a little bit it idled and ran like a champ. I was able to rev it up a little and everything. I guess I got the points put in properly. Now I just need to Get the tank dipped, work on the brakes and make sure it is pumping water through and I should be able to take it for a spin.

Later,
    Chad

8. mothradeath

mothradeath

9. mooneysusa

mooneysusa
    from N/A

I bought the gasket for mine, then paid a local glass company $250 to install it with their glass. Shop around you'll find a good price, find a small local guy who works on classics. He can source the glass and will probably give you a deal.

Hellfish, still writting the V8 swap article? Is it done or have any updates? I have one of your first versions form about a year ago, but wondering what else you added.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  10. Hellfish

Hellfish

It will be done when the van is done. :D That way I can correct any errors in the text based on real experience as opposed to what I've culled from the web. The van is getting really close. As of now I basically need to finish modifying the clutch, then it's wiring and exhaust. Then a bunch of little detaily stuff... drive it all summer working out bugs... then replacing all the rusty panels. I'll post an illustrated update soon. I really can't do any welding until my garage gets rewired, so that's slowing me down... that, and the twins. :D

Chad, a 65-67 16 gal Mustang tank will fit (or 68-70? if you want 20 gal) if your tank is too rusty to be saved. All you need to do is move the filler to the side and fill in the top where the filler was. Stock Mustang sender will work. I think a brand new tank is still less than $100. That's something you might want to consider and balance the cost and time

11. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Thanks, I will look into that for sure. How big are the tanks on these econolines anyways?

12. jay t.

jay t.

Here are some pics I was leary about posting earlier. Future plans include adding a front sway bar,repainting bumpers silver,a set of ET wheels and putting a back seat in for the kids
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jay t.

jay t.

econolines have 14 gallon gas tanks

14. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Yeah, I called around and around here they want 100 to dip it and another 75-100 to seal it. So I will be upgrading to a new mustang tank real soon.

Thanks guys.

15. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

Looks good man. I dig it.

16. Hellfish

Hellfish

Umm... they HAVE front sway bars. Is yours missing?

Check the OldEconolines Yahoo group. In their files/photos section, there is some photos of what's involved in converting a 20 gal tank. The same goes for the 16gal tank

here's mine, modified, painted and sprayed with rubberized undercoating

[​IMG]

17. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Hellfish, Have any of those small side view mirror arms? Looking for a pair.

Later,Bill

18. Hellfish

Hellfish

You mean the original Econoline ones? Nope, but I see them come up on ebay relatively frequently. Not the mirrors, just NOS arms for some reason.

you could try something like this. It's kinda similar.
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...&catalogId=10614&langId=-1&rlid=group_listing

[​IMG]

In fact, if I hadn't already purchased mine, I might get those! I'm using new, chrome swing arm truck mirrors from JC Whitney. They don't look quite so vintage, but they're chrome and give better visibility.

[​IMG]

19. jay t.

jay t.

Don't forget the wedge spacer for the passenger side mirror arm. If anybody one for sale let me know.Thanks

20. jay t.

jay t.

Must have been removed at some point.Were they standard equipment?I picked one up at the junkyard the other day. Just need to sandblast and paint it.

21. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Just bought mine last night.....

[​IMG]

22. Hellfish

Hellfish

Econoline madness? more like Econoline frenzy! everyone is getting one! :D

Jay, I'm pretty sure the sway bars were standard equipment on all Econolines. My 65 van had a stock one and my friend's 64 HD van had one

23. mothradeath

mothradeath

what in the hell are these steelies on mine? they dont look like anyone elses. are they even ford?:confused:
    [​IMG]

24. mothradeath

mothradeath

oh i forgot.....heres the shitbox. ive got all the replacement panels to get rid of the rust and have all new doors waiting to be bought. hoping to one day slam it to the ground super low and give it custom flava similar to what was done to the harvey van and of course......lots of metalflake. :rolleyes:dreams.
    [​IMG]

25. Degreaser

Degreaser

I just picked up a 49,000 original mile 66' van. I've been drivin' the shit out of it! Anyone have an extra amber front turn signal lens they wanna sell? Passenger side if it matters.

26. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

welcome to the site.

i am curious, how bad were the doors befor that warrented replacing them with those.

later
    chad

27. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

www.macsautoparts.com

28. Degreaser

Degreaser

Thanks man. I buy alot from Mac's, didn't realize they had econoline stuff.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  29. Church

Church
    from South Bay

anyone got this they can part with? I need the drivers side, but didn't have a pic. Need about 15 inches up from the bottom, and lust blow the fuel access and from seam to seam if possible. Recently discovers mine was hammered below a gob of bondo. Will gladly pay.

Attached Files:

30. Hellfish

Hellfish

That is one of the few Econoline patches available. Try Mac's. They're prices are the same as everyone else's. They all come from Mill Supply.

Degreaser, I have that lense if you want it. They come up all the time on ebay pretty cheap and they're available brand new from Macs. I swapped in a 61-62 lense. You can have amber one, just send me some shipping dough.

Mothra, those are modern rims with a Ford bolt pattern. Could be from anything, but definitely 90s or newer.