Register now to get rid of these ads!

100% not 60's custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56Ponchorelli, Apr 7, 2009.

1. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

Ok guys. I have some questions. I have seen all the threads depicting a period correct 60's custom but I want to know, what ISN"T allowed for a 60's custom? I dropped it, getting a little striping done and my bellflower tips are on the way.

Let me know what will not look right/be right for this style.

Like dummy lights and accessories etc etc.

This is what I have right now. Im not so sure if I like the yellow or not. The WW aren't real wide yet not too small. I think I ca pass haha.

Attached Files:

• yell.jpg
      yell.jpg
      File size:
      226.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What kind of car and what style?

3. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

1966 Buick Electra ( a little late in the 60's) and bellflower /mild custom style.

4. monsterflake

monsterflake

no spots, no skirts, no wide whites. avoid those three and you're on the right track...

5. No window tint, and better wheels.

6. H3O

H3O

probably some astro supremes for it. with some thin whites (7/8" wide) and some lace panel paint job.

7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Take the tint off and get some Skylark wires for it.

Oh, and register on www.losboulevardos.com for some real advice on a mid-60s barge. ;)

8. If it were mine, I'd put Astro Supremes on it, and get rid of the window tint. And I'd put pencil tipped dual exhaust under the back bumper with tiny glasspacks for mufflers. You could make it look like a nice lowrider, but it might be tough to make it look like what people would call a '60s Custom without doing extensive customizing work on it, and a custom paint job, etc.

9. I love that body style.

here's my $.02: Don't do a 60's style custom!
    That design looks like it was cut from stone. That car is way chiseled and hard-edged --that 60's custom look is for something like a '61 LeSabre.

Do a mid-late 60's style factory concept car look.
    It's vintage, it's period-correct, and it's swank. The taillights on that car are probably the strongest design element-- you should let that guide how you treat the rest of the design.

Shave the door handles, hide the headlights, "Turbine" wheel covers with tall double-pinstripe whitewalls. Block sand all of the body lines to be ultra-crisp and straight...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  10. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Astros,Thin whites, Flake Top, loose skirts call it done.
    Drive the snot out of it!!!!!!

11. Adapting the front fender ends, and grill and the front of the hood off a '65 Riviera would improve it... I think the '68 Electra had those deep dished wheel covers... Maybe a new center cap or bullet on those would make a nice smooth alternative to the busy stock ones... See if you can find some of the pinstripe tires with the stripe(s) farther away from the rim than you usually see, like late model Town cars...

Or lower it in front just a smidge, with TTO's/Supremes, blackwall slicks, paint it black, echo can exhaust... think an evil Jimmy Vaughn's green Caddy.

Attached Files:

12. 1Shot-Scot

1Shot-Scot
    from Minnesota

First things first...
    I know it's a pain in the ass to do, but the window tint needs to go - big time
    Personally, I would leave the skirts on because of the nice body line accent that
    runs across the bottom of the car. It looks like the inside of this is painted gold?
    Same with the wheel edge? It's hard to tell in the picture, but I would find a nice metalflake color that complements the body color and shoot the roof with it and also
    do the inside of this accent line as well. Supremes are an easy choice especially
    with the 5 on 5" bolt circle you are dealing with and look great. Those paired
    up with some narrow whites and you are set.

13. 61TBird

61TBird

Riviera Wire Wheels and Vogue Tires.
    Your in Bakersfield,so if you must keep the window tint,roll all the windows down.
    For the back window,no tint.

14. Kerry67

Kerry67

Yup.

15. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Check out that link!
    It'll change your life.

Norton

16. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

Here's one I think fits quite nicely

[​IMG]

Also, look for pics of Suzy Gambino's poncho.....that is a gorgeous car :cool:

17. Low-n-Broke

Low-n-Broke

my opinion, less is more with a car like that. when you put all the bells and whistles on a 60s car ( spots, wide whites, bell flower tips and fancy hub caps) it kind of looks funny.

18. Low-n-Broke

Low-n-Broke

the car above my post looks awesome.

19. 00 MACK

00 MACK

In New York there were shitloads of mid to late 60s models that ran spots ,duals and were lowered in the back at the time.Bellflower was Bellflower.

20. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

I like Skylark wires....OR.....a set of Buick rallye wheels. The tires you have are great (whitewall wise).

Los Boulevardos is a great site.

If it were mine, REPAINT the champagne color, and paint detail the rallye's with the same color along with the gleaming chrome ribs and hoop....oh boy.

Forget about era, just think clean.

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Removing window tint is easy. Just spray the glass down with a spritzer bottle of soapy water (on the tint side) and press on some plastic sheeting like a cut up trash bag. Close the door and forget it for +or- a 1/2 hr. Remove the plastic and peel off the tint slow n steady. Removes glue and all with little to no clean up.

22. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

I lost my virginity in the back of my pops 1969 Buick Electra 225 (desuce and quarter) when I just started to drive at about 16 I guess. We lost that car in hurricane Katrina. That was one boat of a car man....good times.

To your question though I think supremes would look pretty sweet or some old wire wheel style.

23. Kerry67

Kerry67

Trying to figure out how this works. Not sure how the soapy water would penetrate through the tint itself.

24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

It will. Tint is porous. The important part is the plastic sheeting to keep the tint immersed in the soapy water. Windex will work too.

25. rivguy

rivguy

I love all Buicks. except the new ones with 24 in. wheels. On my 66 Riv I had the front end down about three inches, with wide whites and Moon discs. I left the rear end stock height with the factory air shocks, it sat a little lower w/o any air in it. I had streamlined early 70's Ford/ Mercury rear view mirrors (body colored)on each door. Pencil tip dual exhaust. Keep the stock skirts. I wouldn't add any spotlights but Bellflower pipes would be cool. I think some subtle flames behind the front wheelwells with or without a flake top would be cool. Well, thats how my next Riv is going to set up.

26. Eryk

Eryk

Heck yeah. Jeem is spot-on here! I also like 58fridge100's idea about a mid-late 60's concept car feel.

I'm a huge fan of Supremes, flake, lace, etc...BUT...I think people tend to box themselves in and think that all that stuff is the quick and easy answer to what "60's style" is. Personally, I'd like to see people get away from this prescribed treatment that's so popular these days and really do their homework. The 60's had a bunch of different looks. It was like 5 era's in one. Stop trying to figure out what isn't a 60's custom and start learning what they actually were. Being that your car is a late 60's model, I'd start looking at customs from about 66 to 72. That will include showcars, street customs, and even drag cars for paint and wheel inspiration. Believe it or not, alot of what people think is "60s style" wasn't even popular till the 70's. Do your homework. Don't go down some prescribed internet list checking stuff off.

Come check out our site www.losboulevardos.com Sign up for our board and read up. And check the blog out. Lots of cool stuff.

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Buick ralleys, same skinny whites, lose the window tint. NO spots, NO widewhites, NO fuzzy dice. That car is plenty flashy as is, I'd stay away from metalflake on the roof or lace panels...

28. lownslow

lownslow

nice car . too bad the owner is a douche . haha .. seriously thanks man . glad you like the car ....

and as far as the car being asked about . less is more on that i think . chrome smoothies or chrome reverse is your budget allows . skinny whites and a clean simple , subtle paint job on it . and lose the tint . my .02

29. Eryk

Eryk

I heard he wears "fruit boots", aka rollerblades. And he listens to Spandau Balet while he paints. :D

Nah, I know him. He's a pretty cool guy whos into BMX bikes and long walks on the beach with his hot wife. I miss you fool!

30. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy