Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 302 ford or 350 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banditomerc, Apr 9, 2009.

1. banditomerc

banditomerc

I have had chevy running gear in all my project cars,but with this '48 ford coupe i have been thinking about the engine to install.Well,i have come across a clean '76 ford granada for the price of ....a Firestone wide white wall tire!The car is a clean 4 door.I figure i can use most of its guts!But the fact it is a Ford....What do you guys think?

2. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

Sure, and use the trans and rear end as long as they aren't the metric/jatco crap..... Great donor cars... You can even sell the front brakes/spindles to the musclecar crowd as they are a bolt in for most Ford passenger cars...

3. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

A Ford in a Ford, what's the problem?

4. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

i dont really see the problem... do what ever you want

5. sounds like the smart thing to do to me!

6. Fighter-of-Wars

Fighter-of-Wars

7. I have run chevys for years now , but within the last year I have installed a 289 ford , c4 auto in a 30 coupe and a 289 with a 4 speed manual in a 50 ford custom coupe, I really like them , Both start easy and run clean and smooth, plenty of power, and its suprising how many comments I get , "hey , great to see a ford in a ford" Granted chevys are easy for me to work on but I have a buddy that is a ford wrench and he helps me over the rough spots , and you have to get used to the parts houses asking you what is the month of production as it seemed ford was constanly changing out componets during production runs, drives me nuts....

8. My 40 Merc has Granada rear end, brakes, drive shaft. works great. SBChev engine but I'd just as soon have a Ford in it. I agree 100% with above.

9. banditomerc

banditomerc

Hey,i'm running a mustang 2 front suspension,will the front brakes fit the m2 spindles? ..a Ford in a Ford...what a concept!

10. Wowcars

Wowcars

I may be interested in all of the Grenada suspension and brakes if you aren't using them. Let me know. I need them for my '54 Wagon

11. That's what I had to start with. It had the Mustang II brakes too but I changed to the kit with the bigger Granada 11inch and Chevy calipers.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

302 chevy, best of both worlds!!

13. zzford

zzford

Due to the rear sump, the Chevy fits MUCH better. I had a 47, and did it both ways. Plus, you're gaining 48 cubic inches. Do what will make you happy.

14. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Much easier to service the dizzy........

15. I've had nothing but SBF's until I bought the Mercury.
    Boss302, 289 Hi po, Shelby 289, 89 5.0, 68 302 4V. 2v-289. The gambit of Windsors.
    I might put a blue 347 in the car someday but The 350 is hard to fault. I've heard it called the perfect street rod engine. Mine is just a 4v 330Hp crate engine but I gotta agree, it's darn hard to beat the bowtie. I'm not knocking the Fords at all. I was "Ford Man" since 1971.
    Like above, what ever you chose is the best choice.

16. mj40's

mj40's

I would go with the Ford but would step up to a 351.

17. Philbilly

Philbilly

I found a 68 F-100 with a good running 302 with automatic trans. I thought about buying it, using the engine iand trans in my 54 F-100 and then using some of the body parts for my dad's 69 F-100. I could sell what I didn't use. I may still do it. Anyway, I say do what you think is best. Ford in a Ford, what a great concept.

18. vertible59

vertible59

Wish I lived close to you, because I need some of the Granada's body parts for my son's project. They made a million of them, but Granada parts are getting scarce around here. Crusher bait?

19. That's a shame. Great parts source. :(

20. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

put a ford in a ford.

21. Uptown83

Uptown83

Got a 302 in my 32 and a 350 in my 33... will never do a chevy in a ford again. Nothing wrong with either engine, but ill keep fords in fords from now on.

22. RAY With

RAY With

With the 46-7-8 Fords you don't have any problems on installing the motor and trans.I am just completed a 46 with a 347 stroker blower motor with a beefed up c-4,9 inch rear and its a cruiser' I cut part of the transmission tunnel out and installed a screw in bitchen cover and screwed it in for easy trans access. I built a mustang II front with 2 inch dropped spindles and it handles and rides Great and has more than enough power and currently I am in the 18-19 mpg so that's not to bad for all the fun I have with it. I haven't put but 6,000 miles on it but working on that also with many cruises this summer.

Attached Files:

23. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Put in the 302 , you'll be suprised at the compliments of having a Ford in a Ford .

Rocky

24. Chad s

Chad s

You can get a rear sump setup for the 302 ford too. Look for a Broncho setup.

25. LameExcuse

LameExcuse
    from Renton, WA

I'd go with the 302. The parts will probably be slightly more expensive, but there are just too many 350s running around.

26. Put a Ford in a FOrd.........Unless its a HEMI.

There.

I said it.......LMAO

Seriously, nice to see in Fords in early Fords.

Rat

27. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

when i got my ford running it had a 302 in it.when the 302 kicked the bucket i thought about putting a 350 in it .but didnt have the cash to change everything over.so i went back with a 302 .wish id gone with the 350.

28. Missing Link

Missing Link

The motor out of a '76 Grenada is a smogger. It's a boat anchor, imo. If you want to run a ford motor find something better. You can't even make those smoggers sound good. But that is just my opinion.

If I was in your shoes I would be...LEAVING! WHAT A GREAT IDEA! LOL! jk. Sorry...

Or you can just disregard opinions and do what you want. I like that option.

29. MENACE

MENACE
    from PHOENIX AZ

Do the fooord

30. banditomerc

banditomerc

Allright,allright.I will put in a........................3...............50! There,its done.Thanks all.