Register now to get rid of these ads!

one good thing about getting laid-off??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hhatton, Apr 8, 2009.

1. hhatton

hhatton

I'm now home when everyone else is at work, I can make as much noise as i want to. waved to the neighbors , as they go to work, pulled the 32 frame out , finished welding it up, and spent the rest of the day grinding and sanding for prime. Did 3 weekends worth of work in 5 hours. Might have it painted and rolling in 2 weeks. It most be real nice to be retired.

Attached Files:

2. bct

bct

i hear ya....the only thing i can do for zero dollars is hang in the shop and build ....BTW your frame looks great ...

3. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I have so many parts built up for so many projects that a layoff would be more like work than work. The lovely says we could retire on what I have stashed in parts cabinets. I'll probably get everything up-n-runnin just about the time we have to turn all the real cars for a 2010 pelosi.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

unemployment: the pay sucks but the hours are great.

5. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

And you get a "nooner" a few times a week!

-Brad

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Even if your wife is at work??? :D

7. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

The frame looks great!

I'll be getting permanently laid off at the end of June.
    Summer off! I'm pretty excited about thrashing on my 27 for a couple of months while I looks for a new job.

Norton

8. i start my week off at 9am go to a noon then 2pm then 4pm and friday a 10:30 am 2hr call became a 1 and half hour

9. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

trust me tho, it gets old...ive been off for 8 weeks now and im bored out of my mind

10. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I was laid off for 3 months starting in Dec. Didn't get anything done it was so damn cold. 3 coldest months of the year is when I get to spend some time off for the first time in 20 yrs. Plus I couldn't justify spending any money on the car. Didn't get a damn thing done...

11. 1lowtoy

1lowtoy
    BANNED

1 bad thing about getting laid off; NO MONEY!

12. mazdab2600

mazdab2600

same boat here.since nov/08.
    just want the snow gone now.need to get something done.
    got registered for training to be an electrician.starts in may.
    started out as a mechanic.then a chemical plant operator.now going for electrician.

13. Don't be so sure on that.;) My dad would always say he couldn't believe how much he had to do after he was retired. He wondered how he could get it all done when he was working.

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

You could take up scrapbooking as a hobby....never bored when there are pages to create. :D

15. joel torres

joel torres

hhatton what part of the island are you
    i did the same thing
    weeks of work in 5 days

16. RichG

RichG

I gotta say it's pretty cool to see so much positive attitude in this thread! Getting layed off sucks, but it's what YOU do afterwards that will define how things go for ya.

I'm glad you're getting stuff done, and I wish you luck when you're ready to get back out there and hit the bricks! It's not great, but it's not the end of the world either:D

17. Just tell her co-workers to look the other way for a few minutes... :D

18. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

Been 5 months out of work. Very boring... and too cold to do anything..

Now that the weather is getting better, I'll get a job in no time...

Oh, well...Thats life...

19. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Been out a month and a half. Got a great jump on the yard work and I can drive the car any sunny day:D:D:D

20. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

oh, i did put a new window in yesterday...but as stated before, cant justify spending any money on a hobby right now so the car just sits. I'll do little things to it that dont cost money but the construction part is at a stand still

21. Truckedup

Truckedup

I was in big construction before I retired early.Layoffs were part of the game.You live on the cheap while working,then ya got money to spend on a car project during layoffs.

22. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

I plan to do the same thing to get my 2 on the road soon.

Falcon first, then modified, or so I keep telling myself. :D

23. phat rat

phat rat

It's fantastic. Been that way since Jan. 27, 06. If you are bored being work off it's your own fault. Lots of things you could be doing that don't cost a bundle. You already have a hobby, must be some work you can do on it that doesn't cost.

24. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Well ive been off since Feb 6th and im not going back.. They kept the assholes . I take it your going back so your getting everything done while your off.. Great. I saw thru the b/s and sold all my cars... Ill be off till i find a job and knowing im not going back finds me bored out of my mind because there is no sense trying to build another car without a real job... I will be better when the weather breaks.. Get r done before they call you back :) I really dont want to work for anyone ever again but im afrad im gonna have to... :(.. phat rat is one of my heros... he never has to work ever again .... :)
    Dave

25. hhatton

hhatton

Didn't mean to step on the guys out of work already. The writting was on the wall at work for more then a year so i've saved some $$ just for this .How long it will last and how long i'll be out of work ????.But hey another thing to remember is the "new guy" in the white house is gonna take care of all of us!!!!

26. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ya sure :rolleyes:... Just enjoy your self.. Im also set pretty good but i cant retire and thats what id like to do.. I will be off this summer going to sprint car races and riding the harley thats for sure :)..
    Dave

27. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"I'm now home when everyone else is at work, I can make as much noise as i want to. waved to the neighbors , as they go to work"

Pretty much sums up retirement..........:D

28. i was out of work for 6 months got alot of things done to my care but like some one said the pays sucks. i had to sell alot of stuff like a four track recorder, all my led zeppelin records:mad::(:mad:, all my doors records, all my double copies of pink floyd records from piper at the gates of dawn to pulse, alot of funk, soul and hip hop. ahhhh now im sad cuz i miss all that stuff. but the hours are nice and no one to tell you what to do

29. speedmetal

speedmetal
    from houston

I could use about a good 3 months off to do all my catch up work

30. hotrodhillbilly23

hotrodhillbilly23
    from Indiana

I got laid off 7 months ago, but the old lady's still workin' so it's not so bad financially. I'm thinkin' about turning my hobby into an income and buildin' for a livin'. Always wanted my own Rod shop, guess now's as good a time as any!