Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grinding Welds?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gunk, Mar 18, 2009.

1. gunk

gunk
    from phoenix

That's what I figured. I'm not saying you did anything wrong. I got the rear bones, let me know when your ready.
    Thanks.

2. az/willis

az/willis

im leaving to california on friday so i can do it befor then or after i get back in two weeks it up to you

3. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

is that mig or tig?

4. az/willis

az/willis

mig

5. Nice welds. I'd just use a disc sander to knock off any of the little splatters that might be around the welds, and then sandblast the frame and paint it. I like seeing the welds.

6. gunk

gunk
    from phoenix

Good tip RustyBolts. Thanks.

7. Scott Danforth

Scott Danforth

I would hit them with a wire brush to get the splatter off, and to shine them up a bit. Nice welds.

8. bibb86

bibb86

welds look sweet and i agree with the rest once you grind you cant stop and it will end up like crap unless you spend a lot of time. weld it and leave it just do the prep work to make them look good.

9. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Not to throw a stupid monkey wrench into current take on whether to leave and express welds or not, but just curious now if 'back in the day' guys were more prone to grind down and smooth out the welds or not for appearance sake. I don't know myself, just asking out of curiosity. Maybe sweet looking welds back then weren't quite as easy to do because of lack of sophisticated welders or just plain hours of experience or maybe even desire. Anyone with insight on what a good weld might have more typically looked like in the 40's-60's?

10. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

w.eld it good and leave it, A good weld is a neet weld

11. onedge

onedge

From an engineering stand point grinding welds period is a concern, since some will gouge undercut the good weld and or base material (over grind)... thus the end result is compromised. This is a great post! What everyone else says!!!!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  12. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

i leave all welds just like they are. I have good friends who do all my welding for me,and i would never dream of hiding their work. a good weld is a work of art. i know people who grind down tig welds in aluminum,i still can't figure out why. a nice aluminum part with a stack of quarters weld is a beautiful thing. cars are supposed to be mechanical objects and nothing wrong with welds. now the guy who did those bird shit welds on that exaust in the other thread :rolleyes:

13. RAY With

RAY With

If your building a frame and hot rod to compete in the diddlers award you just about have to in order to make it look like glass. Since I have no plans or time for that type of rod I never grind mine down

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

yea i never understood the point of grinding the frame like that, looks ugly to me. would much rather see the welds.

15. 2-TONED

2-TONED

IM GUILTY! im a weld grinder! :eek:
    not nice smooth critical chassis welds but other welds, im good at grinding! i know it weakens shit but i like smoooooth! :D

NICE WELDS pictured by the way & id never grind those. i may run over them with a fine ro-loc disc ---- those are a work of art!!

16. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I have seen welds on street rods that have broke because they ground them to death trying to make it look pretty. A friend of mine rolled his roadster because the guy he bought it from ground down the suspension mount welds too much. He hit a dip in the road and all hell broke louse. I would rather see the welds just for piece of safety mind. Sure clean them up " a little "but don't over due it.

17. az/willis

az/willis

well i did not start the thread but i did all the welds and appreciate all the positive coments on them:)

18. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

Knock down the high spots with a flapper sanding wheel. Just some quick passes....this takes only minutes.

19. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

My stand on this is that grinding a good weld only removes metal and potentially reduces it's absolute strength. If two separate chassis members are obviously joined by welding, then seeing a weld bead there, is not ugly, just because it is there. In areas where you do not expect to see a join, such as in outer body skins, grinding flush is obviously desirable. But then that particular weld probably is not a highly stressed part ! If your welds look like crap, either take a welding course, or pay someone else to do it. Ground welds on a chassis tell me the builder could not weld properly and has probably hidden his failure with grinding and body filler. I guess that is the difference between a cosmetic fairy trailer queen, and a seriously well built performance rod. Where you can see really beautiful welds, there is no bullshit.

20. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

az/willis Nice work!

21. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

The only reason to grind a weld is if it looks like ass. Properly done welds are a thing of beauty and reflect the quality of build.

22. richie rebel

richie rebel

yes, good welds do not need ground,bad welds are ground to hide the shitty welds...richie..............

23. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

what if you are replacing floor pans or something and don't want it to look factory? Just leave em there and tell everyone only crappy welds should be ground off?

24. sjrodder

sjrodder
    from vermont

I dislike gringing welds however sometimes for aperance sake you must.