Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Vintage Stock Cars for the street...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Conder, Oct 3, 2008.

1. I'll pass it on to him.

2. I did something similar with a Gran Sport 25 years ago. Totally gutted except for seats and belts with a radio delete plate and triple guages where the speaker belonged. Dropped in a 455 and a Muncie with straight cut first gear. F-60's front and N-50's rear on Cragar Mach 8 wheels. Radiused the rear wheelwells and dollied the inner fenderwell to meet the fender. I really miss that car. You generally steered with your right foot.
    Tim, thanks for reminding me how much I miss that car.
    I had a 75 Camaro with similar treatment back in 98 running a small block 400 and bart racing wheels. Did all of Herb Adams tricks to the suspension with landrum asphalt springs in the rear and S-10 front springs and double rubbers up front. Handled like a slot car.
    Leaning towards a similar treatment for the early sixties Barracuda that's in the studio now.
    Anybody know where I can find a set of 15"x8" small pattern mopar rims?

3. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

You can run at the Shootout in less than two weeks at Concord; they have a vintage mod race.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  4. Conder

Conder

Thing is, Rich here can DO this in a MONTH! (I'll bet you've got that Belvedere sittin' out back too.)

I'd like to cheat a little and do this '60, only make it sit low and fat like a '67.

Attached Files:

5. I own a 59 Fury with manual steering. Those drivers had to be tough to wheel those beasts for hundreds of laps. Power steering gave us those metrosexual drivers we have today.

6. Your 59 is the shit man! Not to many of us out there take a liking to Christine's ugly sister (hehe).

I still have a little ways to go with mine.

7. SimonSez

SimonSez

There is a great article in one of the mid-sixties Hot Rod Annual's on stock car racing technology. I'm pretty sure that it mentions those wheels, amongst other things.

I'll dig it out tonight and let you know what year it was.

8. slammed1

slammed1

Everytime I see a solid early 60's Impala,Fairlane,Galaxy 2 door all I can think about is the bitchen way those stock cars looked with wide Firestones and painted steelies hugging the ground. I would build a decal-less version for the street any chance I could.The pics in this thread rock the idea very appropriate.

9. Krylon King

Krylon King

It would be cool to have a old stock car as a street car.

10. AWESOME! The lines and proportions of a '65 Ford are the absolute best for something like this.

11. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

I've always liked the La Carrera Panamericana cars.

[​IMG]

They sure beat the hell out of these cars too, its awsome.

edit: couple of youtube vids too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHZKLSMdTlg
    vid from 2007, mostly 50's, 60's and 70's cars starting a leg of the course (The 50/51 stude from this vid had a nasty wreck the year before too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdCqbESoiIA).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRCsnm5GaJA
    vintage footage from the early 50's

There are a ton of youtube vids though. all worth checking out too

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  13. Iron-Iceberg

Iron-Iceberg

14. so.ill.

so.ill.

DAMN IT!!!! You guys are killing me. You are going to get my hopes up and my head racing thinking about my grandpa's old dirt track car again. I spent an entire summer two years ago trying to track the thing down, or someone who might know where its stashed. supposedly its still stashed in a barn in pocahontas il. That would be my holy grail. now i won't be able to sleep.

15. Builtforsin

Builtforsin

16. Ditto... here's Bo Zolland concepts... check out the PanAmerica version. http://www.coupe-desire.com/news.php?id=307

Makes me want to go rip down some back road really fast... and live... :)

17. Conder

Conder

18. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

Conder this would be a great car to make streetable. The front clip is dropped, rear trunk area raised, windsheild area chopped and angled down, and 1 inch sectioned from the frame. That way when NASCAR but the spacer under the frame to measure for stock height, it would pass but the whole car was dropped one inch. Ok Junior was sneaky. was called the banana car

19. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

here one back in the late 80's there was a guy from Bolingbrook il that made his 64 galaxie look just like fred lorenzens. pait cage and used the old type clip on fog light coves painted silver for day time and painted window screen silver over the taillights(red showed at night).was in a club call super 60's then and was at all the shows.

Attached Files:

20. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

I always wanted to have a street car that looked like the dirt stockers that raced at the track I grew up around in the mid 70's. So after driving my Chevelle around in primer for 5 years, I slammed it another 2 inches, radioused the fender wells, and two toned the paint at the beltline. Has a pretty trick exhaust and a huge solid cam, & a 17" 4-spoke steering wheel. Lots of other plans...probably will never truly be done...LOL.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  21. Greasy64

Greasy64

I have also thought about a 60s "big car" roundy round inspired street screamer. I am working on other stuff and don't need 'em. Anyone want to do a car like this, a Ford or Mopar? I got a set of set of 1960s steelies with 5 on 4 1/2 lug pattern, with 16x8 rim size. What class or tracks ran 16s I dont have a clue. I don't know about Nascar but The guy I bought them from raced on short tracks here in Los Angles area in the 50s - 70s.
    I should probably list these in the classifieds but this thread is mote on topic. If someone would actually put them on something and run em I'd let 'em go cheap. If these would inspire someone or help complete a project, PM me.

22. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

wow! I am not a fan of 64-6 chevelles, but cutting the wheelwells and two toning it makes all the difference in the world, that car looks good!

23. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thank you very much, compliments are pretty rare for my car....most just have a confused look. I got rid of the crappy spoke wheels and put some corvette 15x8 ralleys, looks better, but still looking for some old steel stocker 5-hole kidney bean wheels or some stock 15x8 steelies (but those will hide my 4 wheel disks)lol

24. MCINK

MCINK
    from EASTRIVER

remember the 1964 Mercury Marauder that Barry Whites Street Rod Repair Company (SRRC) built for the Wrecks to Riches tv series? This car turned out very cool...
    might give you some ideas...

here's the link to it...

http://www.supermusclecar.com/cars/marauder/marauder.html

they were kinda like the American Chopper guys on the show,
    but they build some cool stuff...

25. mrrich

mrrich
    from seattle

Tim it was great to see you again at the Pig Iron. You are missed in Seattle. Some friends and I are riding from LA to SF in January. It would be cool to ride up and see your shop. You get nothin but respect my friend, your work is dope.

26. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

This one was built as a tribute to Socal short track hero Ivan Baldwin's car
    that was raced in the mid 70's & won lot of mains. Street driven

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

27. Conder

Conder

28. Drive Em

Drive Em

Here's mine, It's a 1964 Galaxie Custom 2 door post. It has a 351 Cleveland 2V engine in it with a 700 Holley DP carb, Edelbrock Performer manifold, Hilborn belt drive fuel pump, Accel tach drive dizzy, MSD 6T, Hooker Headers, Ram clutch, Howe hydraulic throw out bearing, and a Tex Racing Borg Warner Super T-10 4 speed. The rear end is a full floating Frankland Quickchange with 3.80's in it, but gear changes are only 15 minutes away. It also has Pro Shocks, aluminum drive shaft, aluminum radiator, full roll cage, weight jacks in the front and a stock car style spring loaded pull bar to control rear axle wrap. The car is fully streetable, and insured. Everything works, including wipers, roll up windows, turn signals and the heater, no radio though. It also retains the bench seat and back seat.

[​IMG]

29. monsterflake

monsterflake

that's pretty freakin' awesome!