Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'Hey Jim! 'Just a quick question: Who's car was 'Tat' in; was he in the Nowicke Offy or Stroud's "Honker?" Thanks for re-living that night. Those were definitely 'the days.'

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Spike- I didn't come up with much of pre-cage sprints at Springfield, but as a consolation how about this: Branson #1 Sachs #8 and Al Herman in their Offys at Langhorne 1960... Don't get much better than that!

Attached Files:

3. jimg12

jimg12

That night he was in Howard Linne's white #96 [with a chevy 2 I think]. Do not remember why he was not in Nowicke's car [as that was his normal ride in 66] I do not belive he drove Stroud's Honker any that year. In 65 Stroud's Honker was the first midget I ever drove. I live just 30 miles from Louisville where Nowicke lives, his Son [who still works on race cars] bought the TQ I built in 71.
    Jim Graybeal

4. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Nice people you're talking about Jim. Bob was nice enough to bring some of his cars to IRP when we had those vintage displays (I wanted to do it at every open wheel race), and Mike was one of our winningest car owners for a time with Kenneth Nichols at the wheel.

5. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Rootie-
    Thats a great pic from the Horne! Do you have any others? I hate to be a pain in the butt; its just that its about all there is left nowadays.
    Not a case of self pity; just not easy to be confined to the house most of the time.
    Thanks again!

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Spike- here's a couple you might like:

Earl Halaquist #1 and Bob Dunhome at a URC race at Trenton 1965

Halaquist at the Pocono 3/4- 1969 (possibly the same race you posted back on page 242 ?)

Attached Files:

7. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Rootie
    Yeah, they are great. Earl was a friend of mine. Great driver and he helped me learn the setups when i was new to it.
    Do you know who Bob Dunehome was? He was a USAC driver name of Wally Dallenbach racing against USAC with URC that day. He also did that alias once at Flemington. USAC handed out stiff fines for running against their shows, so guys would assume a different name for the day.

8. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Rootie: Nice photos as usual. Guess everybody knows that Bob Dunham was Wally Dallenbach, avoiding USAC penalties while running "outlaw" events. He won several as Dunham. At one show I asked how he was doing. He said, "Bob Dunham's doing great; Wally's not doing too well!"

Keep the photos coming!

9. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Didn't know it was Wally D. but I had never heard that name before and it looks to be top shelf equipment for a unknown, so I kinda thought it might be a USAC dodge.

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Tommy H. and Johnnie Parsons at Harrington Del. (?) Can't say I'm at all familier with the place....fairgrounds ?, 1/2 mi.-1 mi. (?)

Attached Files:

11. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Harrington was (is?) a fairgrounds track in Delaware. AAA ran there in Forties, early Fifities at annual fair, then URC after 1956. Dusty, slick half-mile. Track was rumored to be composed of ground shell.

12. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Anybody wanna hit Lawrenceburg this weekend, weather permitting?

13. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I might be interested, I was also thinking about hitting up Eldora for USAC on Sat.

14. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I forgot Eldora is opening that night aswell..... HHHHMMMMMMMMM I'll have to check my calender of Sat.....

15. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Spike, OldBill- I've noticed that, back in the day, about all URC (and IMCA/CRA for that matter) cars had the front hoop over the nose but hardly any USAC cars did. I assume this was a rule requirement with the URC ?

Attached Files:

16. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'Rootie, That would be news to me to hear that the front hoop was actually a 'rule???' Most of them were bolted on and provided protection for the radiator when the car got upside down. It also was a convenient upper shock mount and some builders liked the fact that it was also a chassis stiffener for the front portion of the car......BTW, who's in that #1 car and where? 'Like it.

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Thats Earl Halaquist in the #1 but I'm not sure where, Reading maybe?
    As far as the hoop, I wonder why the USAC guys didn't use them? I have pics of the same cars, such as the black duce, running IMCA and USAC with and without the hoop. I kinda figured they were to help keep a car from running too far up under another in a crash, but really don't know for sure.

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The #2 in IMCA trim and USAC trim.

Attached Files:

19. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Rootie-
    I raced there several years back in the 60s; its the Delaware State Fairgrounds 1/2 mile. Had a dirt surface in the 50s, and then a sand surface in the 60s. Really sucked with the sand surface!

20. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Rootie-
    I was told back then when i ran with them that it was a suggestion, but not a rule.

21. jimg12

jimg12

I never heard of Hector's Black Duce ever running USAC. PK or anyone else remember it running USAC?
    Jim Graybeal

22. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

What was it's purpose? Must of been a VERY STRONG suggestion to get racers to hang extra weight on their car. :D

24. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Black Deuce never ran USAC or AAA; I believe that Honore's earlier "City of Roses" car ran AAA, but very rarely, in 1940's, I think with Cliff Griffith driving. Not many of the 1950's IMCA Offies ever ran with AAA or USAC; most had more inches than AAA-USAC 220 limit.

25. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

My thoughts were Halaquist at Flemington because of the wooden fence, Reading was concrete.

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

27. Drive Em

Drive Em

This car was originally built by Hank Arnold, and is now owned by Don Brown from Tucson, Az. Don Brown also owns "The Twister", also a Hank Arnold car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'DriveEm, 'I'm sure I can speak for a lot of us: Thank you for your pictures of........'perfection! It seems whenever someone does a restoration, there's always something that's a dead give-away to modern day cars; i.e. 'Centerline Wheels, a modern day seat w/upholstery and a headrest, or the driver wearing a full-face helmet. This car has none of that! The upholstery is perfect, the Halibrand wheels are polished, the old style rear tail pipes that the guys in CRA and ARA used to run, the gold leaf numbers and the roll bar is a classic Grant King style work-of-art. 'It's even got one of the greats lettered on the side: Frank McDaniel. If organizers were smart, they should promote vintage racing and exhibitions more than what they do. These cars would sell!

29. That's what we're hoping for. We have some old midgets and an old sprinter or two coming in as well. NON-PROFIT VENTURE

[​IMG]

30. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

uuummmmm....... right side steering... unusual for a car equipped with dirt tires. ??