Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pate texas swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LXTURBO2000, Apr 6, 2009.

1. LXTURBO2000

LXTURBO2000
    from NEW MEXICO

so is anybody going from the HAMB? its the 30th thru the 2nd.

2. Uptown83

Uptown83

yep will be there

3. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Went there 3 years ago. Will never go again. Traveled from Kentucky to set up and sell parts. Met some really nice people. The only problem was EVERYONE who stopped at our booth acted like they had no money but still wanted to buy. Been setting up at swap meets for years and know that part of the fun is getting a deal on the piece you want. I don't mind dickering on the price of a part but the buying public at Pate was ridiculous. At first we thought it was our imagination but talking with veteran Pate vendors around us let us know that there you have to overprice your parts then lower your price so the buyer thinks he's getting a deal.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  4. LXTURBO2000

LXTURBO2000
    from NEW MEXICO

cool uptown this will be my first year and im really looking forward to it. usually my son goes with my brother in law but hes going to calif the same weekend so im thinking about going. im looking forwards to it

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

Started going in 1981 and watched it get worse every year.
    Stopped going

6. TexasDart

TexasDart

So is actually going to be at the Pate museum this time? Seems like they tried doing it a TexasMotorspeedway a few years.

7. LXTURBO2000

LXTURBO2000
    from NEW MEXICO

its going to be at the speedway again

8. They built houses where the swap meet used to be at Pate.

9. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I'm going. we have 56 spaces. This is where me and my old buddies meet every year to shoot the bull. I've been going for 27/28 years straight. It's still a good meet. It's not the atmosphere of the Old Pate but it's still fun.TP

10. ctmcca

ctmcca

I'll be there, along with my brother, dad, and Grits (HAMB Member). Hit it every year.

Chris

11. Sixness

Sixness
    from Cen Tex

I have 8 spaces and lots of friends in the area that get the same spaces every year. I always sell enough stuff to make it worth while but that is not my goal. We have a great time for 4/5 days and see a lot of old friends and make a lot of new ones. Stop by and get a bowl of 3 day old beans and if I like your looks I may offer you a cold beer.

12. Painter D

Painter D
    from DFW

I'm going. Gonna be looking for some stuff for my 63 Riv.

13. Mudville

Mudville

Yes, we will be there at 8th and Andretti. Will have some 49-52 chevy stuff and cigar boxes. don't laugh! Paid for my trip and had a nice little reserve after the meet with the boxes. stop by and say "hi"! Also will have some cigars for sale if you're a smoker!

14. 33Tudor

33Tudor

We'll be going. Been going for about 16 years now. Sure it's not the same atmosphere as before, but it's still fun for us. Probably won't take the whole week like we used to, but we'll definitely be there.

15. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

Pate sure was a blast in the 80/90`s every thing you could ever want was there
    but most people would not buy it, cause they did not want to carry it ?

eBay killed the swap meets.

Drove by the old pate in Feb on the way to the Texas thaw drag race
    It was sad to see all the houses, but it sure brought back some good memories
    we use to set up on ave Z and spend 4 days parting out there :)

never even considered going to the speedway that ain't Pate.

16. Crease

Crease

Wow, that stratgey didn't work too well. I, and alot of ther folks, stopped going because the asking prices were ridiculous. Started going with my dad when I was 5, Im 36 now, and certainly do miss the days of Pate out at the Museum of Transportation. Unfortunately, those days are over.

17. Sixness

Sixness
    from Cen Tex

Going to have a few myself after seeing you sell them things, My friend got 10 from you last year. See you there....

18. BELLM

BELLM

I plan on being there Friday and Saturday.

19. I will be there for sure, can't wait.

20. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I will be there....again. It will be about the 25th straight year for me.

21. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I like the swap meet If I buy somthing large I have one of the golf carts take it to my entrance. And if you have cash in hand prices are always pretty good. My only complaint is it is so much to see.

22. Larry T

Larry T

I'm probably gonna tow the 55 project down and see if anyone wants it worse than I do.
    Larry T

23. BlueGhost

BlueGhost

I'll be there, this is the 4th or 5th year for me. Made lots of friends from north Texas and Oklahoma that we meet up with each year. I think we have something around 10 spots with all the guys from my truck group that are going.

24. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

I'll be there with my axles and??? We have 12 spaces.

25. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

I'll be there on Friday for sure, but Saturday I have a class reunion (Can't believe they scheduled the class reunion on the same weekend as Pates). Like a lot of the rest of you I liked the atmosphere of the old Pates back in the 80's at the transportation museum, but I still enjoy walking around and looking at all the stuff for sale and enjoy seeing old friends, classmates and old drag racers from the D/FW and other areas. If you see an old grey beard walking around with a shovel on his shoulder that will be me. I always take a shovel because the Bullshit can get really deep.:D

26. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

My friend Burl was at the original meets INSIDE the fence under the displayed planes etc. surrounding the Pate Museum of Transportation building, and then outside the fence and then out past the cemetary and beyond and down the hills. The first meet was in 1970, I believe. My first time was 1973 and I came and sold every year except 3 from then until the last meet on the Museum grounds. I attended one time at the Speedway about 3-4 years ago as a tourist and found the meet to be less than generic, at least for me and many that I know.
    We still go to several meets that we've done for decades but the crowds are thinner, the money is harder to earn, and the thrill is waning. Still see lots of old friends and make a few new ones but it just ain't the same when you're not folding the $100s or taking home parts you want or need.

27. Dirty2

Dirty2

I now go just to see T.P. !

28. pyroimpala

pyroimpala
    from DFW

I usually go out there and walk around. I don't really ever see anything I need out there to buy but it's a good way to spend the day walking around and checking out everyone's junk

29. bluebolt

bluebolt
    from Benton LA

I am planning on being there, hope to sell a few things and hang out with the "slick 60's" 61-66 F100 guys.

30. Yes the old Pate was the best.

But still, IT'S A SWAP MEET IN TEXAS!! That's worth the price of admission in itself.