Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ok somebodys done this..or maybe not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Rigg Fink, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Is this idea too street roddy?

or would it work for a mid to late 60's vibe , full fender A build?

Im looking for pictures of this done, Yes I did a search, it came up empty..

frenching the stock A tail lights into the steel rear fenders

I thought about sinking them in about half the depth of the lights cup

im sure its been done before..im not going where no man has gone before..right?:confused:

2. if i were to french any tail lights into the rear fenders of an A , they would be `39 tear drops . here are mine not frenched

[​IMG]

3. 2-TONED

2-TONED

you had a vision & now you have to do it.
    it sounds good to me id like to see it.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I would but this is common.(please dont misunderstand me they look great).but i already have nice OEM Ford Tail lights...

5. Not what you're after, but I've seen taillight stalks shortened.

Looks pretty good.

Frenching the A lights would look good and be different.

Why not french them the depth of the cup with only the chrome/stainless lense retainer ring above the fender surface?

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

if the frenching of the stock DuoTea Cup lights were to be done how would one go about this?

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

they would set level so more of the top would show than the bottom, but only very slight due to the curvature of the rear fender

im sure this has had to be done before..i cant be the first guy to think of this..
    ive seen the short stalks...to be honest..I dont like the coat hangers on the backs of my fenders..full length or short..
    they look easy to hit and bend the fender
    would like to stream line the back of the fender and tuck things in a bit

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

its this light..with the duo lense, I think mine are chrome cups tho..

Attached Files:

9. you will have to make a bucket of sorts , like these from Good Times Productions for `39 tail lights. be careful and not go too deep ,or they may rub on your tires. you may have to section the tail lights for clearance..on my `28 tudor with unfrenched `39s they have rubbed the tires a couple times . i need to section them a bit

Attached Files:

• TR39.jpg
      TR39.jpg
      File size:
      15.7 KB
      Views:
  10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

ahh good point..dont go too deep
    maybe just enough to tuck them in a bit

11. Squablow

Squablow

Since they're round lights, I would think a chunk of exhaust tubing with a flat piece added to one end would make a workable bucket, or you could just cut a round hole in the fender, set the A light inside of it, and weld the A taillight bucket directly into the fender at the depth you want, then you can plug the bulb socket into the back and screw the lens/bezel on from the front. I don't think it'd be tough.

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

exactly what i was mocking up over the weekend;)

but the tube wasnt exhaust tube, but close enough

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

bump for the afternoon group..any pictures? anyone see this done?

14. Just sink em in the fender like you were thinking.. They function like stock and you can get at the front and back side.

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yep im going to do it..I like the idea..i will be surprised tho if it hasent been done before...i know im not that much of a pioneer:p

16. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

What about just creating a sort of flat spot on the face of the fender, put the lens on the surface with the cup actually behind the fender? The image of a 'flat surface' that comes to mind is something similar to what would be in place on the front of a fiberglass fender/nose when the headlights haven't been cut out yet.

Or would that be recessing it in farther than you're thinking?

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

you will not have enough room to put the cup behind the fender..with the car lowered and the tire almost filling the fender well there will not be much more room than maybe to sink it on with a recesed "frenched" mounting cup, more than about 1.5" maybe 1.75" at the most..and still have room for the tire to move freely thru the suspension travel with out it decking the back of the light housing

the back of the housing of the Duolamp is about 2" in depth..the light will have to stick out of the fender a little bit..and with the curve of the fender the light will show more at the top than at the bottom in order to keep the light level..
    I will probably set it back in about 1.25 to 1.5 inches..or what ever the tire will allow
    and mount it in a frenching type recess..that way i can remove it of necessary to maintain it

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  18. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Only street roddy to me if they are LED taillights.

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I wouldnt even think about it..Never in a billion years:cool:

20. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ive done a couple a c-dans and there isnt a lot of room,,,, measure carefully. There really isnt a lot of room for the 39 teardrops but they fit. The better ones with the lamps on the side of the housings (39 teardrops) work a lot better.
    Dave

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

well before i go cutting up a very nice set of Tudor steel fenders Im going to make sure i have enough room..or i will just try to flatten out an area the size of the tail lights cup and try to be happy with that..maybe

the fact that i havent seen it done and over 500 HAMBers have looked at this thread and not one showed a picture of it done..is beging to make me doubt myself

22. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

A slight recess is cool, so many over do the depth. As stated here, you could bring the bulb in from the side or bottom to keep it from sticking out the back.

23. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Id really like to see this photo shopped.. The reason being is its a stock round tail light right . There isnt a lot of fender width on an A C-dan to put a round light in the middle and make it eye appealing to me where as a 39 light looks way cool. Im tossing up the challenge for someone to prove me wrong on this but for me it just doesnt work frenched half frenched whatever..
    Dave

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Im on board with this..any photo shoppers wanna take a stab at this?
    i would like to see it too..kinda give me a "go no go" feel for it..

25. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

BTT come on some one help out here ..
    Dave:D