Register now to get rid of these ads!

More pics of 55 gasser find....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 333 Half Evil, Apr 6, 2009.

1. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

what a difference tires and wheels make.....and a few inside pics and one under hood at firewall.....

Attached Files:

2. jangleguy

jangleguy

You're makin' me cry! Maybe some day I'll find one... Congrats to you though!

3. duffman

duffman

SWEET!! What's the engine set-back? what are your plans? good score

4. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

that is the best interior i have ever seen...god the whole car is Awesome! just get it running and leave it the way it is,make you the coolest person on the planet

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool. you could put 150 gauges in that dash.

6. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Way to go man! Gassers Rule! I live in Tucson Arizona, and I am so sick and tired of seeing "double nickels" and "41 Willys coupes" wasted because some idiot built them pro-street style with stupid ass pimp looking rims and gaudy paint jobs. These guys have traded, in terms of design, what is timeless, classic, and traditional, for what is currently trendy and popular. This is why their cars look so stupid, and of course Tucson is twenty years behind the rest of the country so many idiots still think pro-street cars are cool. There are a couple of cool cars running around Tucson, but very few. Anyways keep up the good work bro.

7. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

but 1 to 3 would make it sexier...the whole car screams Pure Function!....any plans for motor or tranny yet?

8. chris55

chris55

I don't think you should waist your time, so just let me have your address and I'll come take it off your hands...:D Man what a cool find. Please keep us posted.

9. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Cool ride !!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Cool old 55 but it was never a gasser, way too much engine set back and the front axle is moved forward. Gassers could only have 10% and I think on a 55 thats just over ten inches.

11. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

so more of a AWB Dragger then?

12. Pothole 31A

Pothole 31A

You know there was a guy i saw in the auto trader that was looking for a 55 gasser that he used to have. That one looks pretty similar. maybe try to give him a shout and he might know some of the history... if its the car.

Its the OH, MI, PA classic car trader.

13. I think I said it before, don't paint it, build as is, reminds me of the Rebel Reper Willy's multi colors, and that car is way cool. I have to agree with Curly Hand about the trendy tubbed laid down 55's, I'm not into billet dashes or "Pimp my 55's". Hey, I never did get a reply on how many bowties are on the 55 dash trim. Does anybody know this trivia, maybe I'll count them while at work:rolleyes:, good luck with the build, looking forward to following it!:cool:.

14. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

That is true if you go by the rules, but many of the old timers I've talked to ran a ton of engine set back at thier local tracks and was classed as a gasser because they didn't have any altered class to put them in. This car has parts dating it back to the early sixties build time. It may have been an altered, not sure...maybe I can find someoen who knows about this car!!
    One guy contacted me that thinks the car may have been a local car by him, in the Detroit area, from early to mid 60's.. He thinks maybe the owners last name was Clark, and he thinks the car was nicknamed Rambunctious. He remebers a 55 like this one, it was orange and was trimed in yellow....this car has yellow pinstriping around it and also the front axle is yellow, so it may be that one. The firewall/floor tunnel is unique, but the latches that hold the bottoms of the fenders are very unique. They are actually Mercury Marine Outboard engine cover hold downs that were graffed into the fenders and latch to a bracket fabbed in behind them.....KILLER IDEA!!! VERY UNIQUE!!!
    As for plans...not sure. I found this car while searching for my dads old 55 gasser, it was not my dads but it was too good to let go to scrap. The price of scrap was up to just over $500/ton and the guy was getting it ready to go when I stopped and asked about it. I bought the car and some of the parts he was going to keep to try and sell on ebay! I'm kind of in a financial pinch right now so I may have to sell it.....not sure yet but is a posability.

15. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

If the guy ran a big block in this, it would have been about right with 10" set back and clear the firewall!!!! A quick measure and a big block could go probably 10-11 inches back from the front spindle centerline!!! Wouldn't this thing have been cool if it had a 409 in it!!! OH YEAH!!!

16. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I have had several 55's with the legal 10% set back with the axle in the correct location it would put the distributor right below the center of the dash, in fact my last legal gasser had a removable plate on the dash so you could pull the dist. to service the top end without pulling the motor. Even at the local tracks they had to run by the rules unless it was a non sanctioned outlaw track. I would guess this was an altered class 55. I know the term gassers is a very loosely used word these days but dont get me wrong, I love 55's gassers or altereds with a axle they are bitchin machines! Here is a picture of my dash with the plate I was talking about.

Attached Files:

17. SquigMachine

SquigMachine

Ok that car really needs a Big block and a 4Speed now to make it more perfect!!!

18. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Dave McCauley, that interior looks awesome!

19. GasserDave

GasserDave
    from Sin City

Bitchin car....

20. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Seems like I've read that there are 984 Chevy bowties on the '55 dash trim. DD